Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Anyone using one of these and are they up to much, looking to buy one or the other but noticed that they have to be replaced once the battery dies which is quite costly.

ivinghoe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
professional football
I use a timesulin timer for my lantus solostar. I have only had the pen a very short time (I got mine as it was recommended to me via the charity website INPUT)

It works very well, its very much like a lcd watch display and resets to zero if you remove tha cap for more than ~8 secs from the pen so if you briefly remove it you can check how much insulin remains in the pen if you need to without it resetting.
I would imagine the battery will last a very long time like a lcd watch. The cap itself is a very good fit and feels to be very well made.

I must say it has helped me with my basal injections as some days I have a blank when trying to remember if I have taken them even though I may have recorded I did on my meter or in my diary.

But like everything you buy when it's related to diabete,s they are quite expensive for what they are but for me the peace of mind they provide makes them value for money.
Alan

Reactions: 3 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks very much for the reply Alan, was undecided which one to go for but having read your post the Timesulin device sounds ideal.

Peter A Jones

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi folks, I bought a timesulin cap last year, and am currently on my third or fourth free replacement. They just seem to be too unreliable to last more than three or four months before they pack up? The company asked if I had used one in a frio wallet, 'cos apparently this can cause internal corrosion due to the raised humidity levels - not very useful for anyone travelling to a warm climate !
Re batteries, they are powered by a single AG10 size watch battery - I know 'cos I've had the latest one apart to find out why it's failed yet again. I know, they are meant to be sealed units, but a gentle pressure with a blade between the blue body and the white clip on both sides is enough to persuade the spot glued internals to part without any physical damage, and they go back together with a tiny spot of superglue. On this occasion the original battery had leaked creating corroded contacts. I cleaned it up, fitted a new battery and it was fine again for maybe two weeks, but has now died completely.

In summary, these things are brilliant in theory, but too unreliable to be of much value in practice. I will certainly not be investing in another, although I may well try the cheaper Insulcheck alternative. Damned shame really !

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

ibjohn

Hi Peter,

I am most sorry to hear about the experience you had - we invented Timesulin to be super simple to use and make life with diabetes a little easier for those of us with diabetes. It seems like that wasn't your experience.

I checked on the case history of your returns with the team and indeed it seems that the electronics in the product got damaged from the use of Timesulin, in a FRIO bag, without the waterproof liner that we and FRIO recommend (http://www.friouk.com/customer-support.aspx).

Even if you open it up, since the product isn't waterproof, just like a iPhone, iPad or other commonly used electronics, it get's damaged. We are looking at some creative ways to solve this, so watch this space.

We always replace units that are defective no questions asked.

We have many thousands of people in the 40 countries we sell Timesulin, including in hot/humid climates in Asia, but it seems that there was a problem with yours which we will of course replace.

Sorry for the hassle you had.

John Sjolund
Timesulin CEO
Type 1 for 28 years.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi John,

Is there anything in the pipeline whereby you can replace the battery in the Timesulin device? It's quite costly to purchase and the fact that you can't replace the battery puts many people off (myself included).

ibjohn

@noblehead

There are a couple of considerations on this question, but perhaps one of the most important is that of cleanliness and hygiene. The caps that we produce are meant to work with products (the disposable insulin pens) that last 1.5-3 weeks depending on how much insulin you take.

After a year of use (in fact we find the average products works about 460 days), we see that the products aren't clean. They are filled with all the goodies that you find when storing a product in your pocket, bag, purse etc. for a year. There are other aspects that have influenced this decision including regulatory questions, cost manufacturing etc, but this is one of the key considerations that led us to create a product that needs to be recycled and replaced, considering it is a medical device.

We hope and believe that it is worth less then £0.07 per day for the security that Timesulin provides.

Hope that answers your question!

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks for the reply John.

It does answer it in sort, however the Timesulin is no different to a non-disposable insulin pen or indeed a bg meter that you can use way beyond a year, surely a wipe over with an anti-bacterial wipe would suffice to keep it clean but not interfere with the internal workings of the device, it's not so expensive when you break it down as you did ( £0.07 per day ) but for anyone on a low-income or unemployed it still is a costly purchase.

Just my thoughts and hope you do mind me expressing them :)