Just discovered I'm pregnant, feeling stressed!

EmmaC*

Hi,
I am a type 1, and this is my second pregnancy, the first one was planned and organised with my diabetic team, folic acid, the works... My daughter is now 13 months and although we were planning to try later in the year, it happened too early by accident! I think I will get in trouble with the hospital as they very specifically told me to plan it carefully.

My HbA1c level are usually low, but I have had a lot of ups and downs while breastfeeding, as it burns so much sugar that I kept having a lot of hypos. Now I have virtually stopped my sugars have shot up again, just in time to co-incide with new pregnancy... typical! Feeling very anxious about keeping them in the 5.9 - 7.8 range I was told to last time. Even when I had sugars of 8-9 the nurse I had to see was so mean about it she made me cry! My daughter was 6lb7oz when born at 38 wks and is healthy.

Even though I was planning to conceive again, I feel stressed that I wasn't quite mentally prepared and worried about the backlash of an 'accident'. I feel I am a 'good' diabetic in that I try really hard to maintain control and avoid complications. Today I have tested my blood sugar nearly every hour and even made a graph - think I'm obsessing, help!

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Ok so just a bit earlier than planned! Would it not make sense to make an appointment with GP.? Explain how you are feeling and see what happens. Remember, the person you see should be polite at all times. You can always ask to see someone else and you can make a complaint! No-one should be making you cry! Good luck!

Reactions: 2 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Congratulations on the pregnancy! Go and see your doctor. I am sure your healthcare team will provide all the support you need.

I know you have been taken by surprise a little bit but a new pregnancy even if a little earlier than planned must be good news

Pavlos

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

EmmaC*

Thank you. I have seen the GP and he is going to refer me to the hospital team. I will call them myself on Monday I think and try to make an appointment to see a diabetic nurse asap (just hope I don't end up with the same one as before!)

We are happy about having a new baby, just difficult with being diabetic - seems to complicate things a lot and takes away any choices about birth etc. Will feel better when I am a bit further along (perhaps after the 12th week scan) so I can be confident that I'm not going to miscarry and can start telling people etc.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations!

If you end up with the same nurse this time around, you could always bring up last time with her. Something like:

You: "You looked after me last time I was pregnant. My baby [show photo, start bonding] is now X old and doing really well, so I'm obviously hoping for the same result this time around.

(Pause)

Do you realise last time around you made me cry a lot? I really felt inadequate/nervous/pathetic/stressed * when you told me off." (* insert the appropriate adjective)."

Then wait for her to respond. Her role is to support you, so give her the chance to redeem herself. Chances are there's quite a nice person inside the uniform. And I bet they sometimes wonder how people are doing once they leave their care.

It might not be such a bad thing. You know what they say........ Better the devil DSN you know........

Exciting times for you.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Wasn't diabetic when I had mine but very ill with first- had help syndrome and daughter born at 29 weeks. I was very ill afterwards and spent 3 days in intensive care. When I had my 2nd (took ages to persuade my husband after 1st experience), I realised that birth choices really don't matter. All that matters is you and the baby - who cares if you give birth standing on your head as long as you are both ok! Don't forget - you are not obliged to have that woman if she is rude! Speak to your GP or consultant! Once again, good luck!

EmmaC*

I would love to tell the nurse how she made me feel and think I may have to if I end up with her again, but there are some lovely nurses there too so hopefully I'll get one of them. What made it worse was that she knew I was getting upset but didn't stop, which I think is a little unkind.

Sorry you had a bad experience Scandichic, I know no birth goes to plan and you never know what will happen. I feel lucky that I had a natural delivery and only complication was a retained placenta (which was nothing to do with the diabetes). I felt resentful that I had no options for pain relief / birth position / medications etc that other women had, but I think I will be more accepting this time around as I know what is going to happen and won't be going in blind. Just hope I will be lucky and avoid a C-section again.:nailbiting:

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I would love to tell the nurse how she made me feel and think I may have to if I end up with her again, but there are some lovely nurses there too so hopefully I'll get one of them. What made it worse was that she knew I was getting upset but didn't stop, which I think is a little unkind.

Sorry you had a bad experience Scandichic, I know no birth goes to plan and you never know what will happen. I feel lucky that I had a natural delivery and only complication was a retained placenta (which was nothing to do with the diabetes). I felt resentful that I had no options for pain relief / birth position / medications etc that other women had, but I think I will be more accepting this time around as I know what is going to happen and won't be going in blind. Just hope I will be lucky and avoid a C-section again.:nailbiting:
Don't knock the c section! I had one both times and ok, the first one was under anaesthetic the second was nothing like I thought. Firstly, the epidural didn't hurt! Secondly, I thought I would feel something - had been told that it would be like someone doing the washing up in my tummy. Said this to surgeon, whilst she was doing the op and she said " actually I'm done now- would you like to hold your daughter? " so there we go! Good luck and take it easy! X

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Congratulations!
And it sounds as if you've got great control, I do an hourly graph every now and then too, maybe we're both obsessive.......I guess the nurse hasn't got a clue how hard ( sometimes near impossible ) it can be to control your BS. You obviously did a great job first time around and you'll do the same again. Good luck :)

EmmaC*

I know a lot of people who've had C-sections, (seems to be so common these days) and I know the procedure would be OK, just the recovery time is so much longer and with a young toddler too would be difficult I think - but what will be will be, not going to worry about it yet!

I love this forum, it's great to have support from people who know what it's like to be in a similar position. Apart from my dad, I don't know any other diabetics in 'real life' so it's great to be able to chat to lovely people on here :)

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I also had a 2 year old by the time the second one was born. My recovery time was quick - couple of weeks. Driving within 4 weeks! Each person is different so don't worry!x

Charisma_1630

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Awww congrats!! Babies are amazing. I had my first almost 2 years ago now and just starting to want a second! I remember it being very hard work my hba1c was 6.5 ish and they still moaned at me a little about that lol but that's the best it's been my whole 15 years of being diabetic! I do remember promising myself I would never go through it all again but now I've changed my mind! It's only 9 months of our lives for a lifetime of happiness!! I hope you have a happy healthy pregnancy I'm a little jealous of u right now!!

K8tie_x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Congratulations on your pregnancy, my first pregnancy was unplanned and I had a hba1c of 13%!! As you can imagine it was absolutely devastating for me to get pregnant with such bad levels at a time I think I was abit in denial about my diabetes it was just a rough time in terms of my diabetes for me. Finding out I was pregnant was the kick up the bum I needed and I got on track with the bloods, the dr made me feel like poo though when I first went to see him I was in tears. I think this time if you experience the same you need to give her a taste if her own attitude as its not on making you feel like that especially when you really are trying! No doubt it was a non pregnant nurse with no experience of diabetes and pregnancy! X

scoyyt57

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Congratulations on your pregnancy. Please don't worry and stress yourself about things as we all know what that can do to your BS levels. I had my son and daughter 30 and 25 years ago respectively and at that time we were told to run our BS levels at 8-11%. Both my babies were fine, but a little on the large size and as I am only 4ft 10" had both by c sections. I am now a happy Gran and wouldn't change anything :) xx

I'm type 2, trying to get pregnant.
I need to lose weight, but it's difficult, I have reduced my food intake and I take regular exercise.
In getting very depressed please can anyone help or give me advice.
I'm getting to the point where I can't go on like this.

LemonTree

Dislikes
High sugar levels :(
Wouldn't you just love to be pregnant and not have to worry about sugar levels? Women without added complications really ought to realise how lucky they are. I'm only 15 weeks and I'm feeling exhausted with all the monitoring and thinking about my sugar levels.

Like others have experienced, no two days are the same. My hba1c was 5.5% before conceiving but now it's a fairly steady 5.8%. Normally that would be great and yet I'm told to increase insulin because I have a spike (to between 8 and 10mmols) an hour after eating breakfast then I have a hypo an hour later...!

It's hard work. I knew it would be but this is my first pregnancy and right now I don't know if I would go through all this again. I look forward to a time that I can relax about sugar levels just a bit...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Charisma_1630

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was the same lemon tree, I swore I would never ever put myself through it again!! It was unbelievably hard work. A very long 9 months!! ..... But my daughter is almost 2 and I'm desperate for another! It's 9 months of hard work for a lifetime of happy family memories!! X

jodysd6

I want to start trying but I am seriously struggling to try and get close to the targets for pregnancy without the added stress and rapidly changing hormones of actually being pregnant, I can't even get my head around how hard it will be! So be incredibly proud of how you are doing!