Newly injecting: weird feeling

carandol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've just started injecting insulin. I'm currently on a dose of 3 (what units, I don't know?) Novorapid before each meal, and 10 Lantus before bed. (They're planning to up the dose once they've figured out what I need - its so far brought my average down to around 12, from the 16 is was before, so we're getting there but not there yet).

I injected Lantus for the first time last night and it made me feel distinctly weird - spaced out, and my skin felt really sensitive (some people pay good money for that sort of drug :D ). It only lasted about 10 minutes, but it was very odd while it lasted. I thought maybe I was having a hypo (though I wasn't sweating or feeling weak), so I prepared to grab some glucose tablets, but thought I'd check my blood sugar again, and it had gone up from the 12 it had been when tested before injecting, to 13, so it's a good job I didn't take the glucose!

I'm wondering if this feeling is something I should be worried about, is it common, is it because I'm new to insulin and that was my first big injection, or what? It doesn't happen with the small injections before meals.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Not sure to be honest as I've not experienced this when using lantus, if you experience this again then your best speaking to your DSN, there's are alternative basal insulin's should you not tolerate lantus.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
carandol said:
Well, it didn't happen last night - I guess it must have been first night nerves! :)

That's good news, probably was just you being anxious on your first day of injecting insulin, fair to say we have all been before but it does get easier.

Cobra3164

Dislikes
Diabetes
Was a bit weird too for me I think mine was actually feeling the glucose getting back into where it should be. I had first time injecting nerves too I dont think you have too much to be concerned about.

All my best

Simon aka Cobra3164

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The first night I was on insulin I felt I was on a high and it took me about 2 hours longer than normal to get to sleep!!

Glad to hear you were okay the second night. Maybe you were being a bit over sensitive and looking for reactions?

Regards
Angie

pzx3pr

Hi I've just started injecting, no symptoms that you describe but I have been feeling a bit sick. I guess it will pass.

judy.suirane

Me too, I feel lethargic and feel like my bones are thinning. I went from super high energy go to person, to sleeping beauty lol!!!! But my sugar is come down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kerrygrant26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Brown rice, all the negative attention diabetics get from the media
Judy.suirane i to was very lethargic and felt like i had really weak bones and it turns out it was down to the Lantus, if this is what you're taking perhaps discuss it with your diabetic nurse. They changed me to Levemir and i no longer have those problems. Sorry for hijacking your post carandol :eek: best of luck with your insulin injections it does get easier x

judy.suirane

I am on levemir and recently went on Krill omega 3 and 5000iu of vitamin d. I am feeling a bit better but it is early days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 people