Disease that old and fat people get !!!

doctorqwerty

Yes, my boss said that today. In the middle of a meeting.
This was met with hysterical laughter from all the people in the room.
Ignorance is definately NOT bliss.
Is this to be expected?
All that brought it on was me having some fruit as the meeting had gone on for quite some time, and no break for lunch at that point.
Am i over reacting regarding this condition?
Thats how im being made to feel.

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Is your boss always so ignorant and rude? did he know he had said that infront of a T2 diabetic, if so i'd have him up for discrimination and see how funny he finds that.
I don't think your not over reacting, your just being human. (((hugs to cheer you up))
Suzi x

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
What an ignorant A*hole!! As to the sycophants who laughed at this ,more fool them.

sixfoot

In the context, of the fruit being as good as part of your overall control i would suggest that you talk to your personel section and purposefully ask to know what their policy is on (1 ) harrassment (2) disability. Then tell them what occurred and see if they suddenly spring into action.

Im no expert but the Disability act covers diabetics in relation to taking medication etc. Therefore in that context the remark could be costrued as harrassment.

Dave P

CalicoBec

That's awful, I'd be livid to be honest, in fact i'm angry on your behalf and I wasn't even there lol I'd really look into what could be done, I think it would make you feel better and also maybe teach your boss to either change his views or hold his tongue in the future!

Orchid

I would have been livid, upset etc.

This is just to make you feel better - think of those who laughed as laughing at his total ignorance, not at his attempted joke! :lol:

As my Dad used to say: "They are not through the world yet!"

milly mole

Dislikes
rude people,know alls
What an ignorant PITA !Like others have said ,go to HR about this!!This person needs a serious retraining management programme on how to communicate with staff.My reaction would have been to ask if he had it as well then !(if he happens to be fat and old!)but that's just me,can't stand ignorant know-it -alls! :evil: :evil:

Katharine

Sometimes a humorous retort back can be a lot more effective than bringing in the big guns. I assume you don't want to fall out with your boss.

Eg, "Well, all of you are going to get old and if we sit on our arses all day long in meetings, most of us will get fat as well. I'm just getting a head start (whether or not you are fat or thin!) on you lot."

Vegman007

Hi all,
I have been told my my line manager to "Leave my medical problems at home" Be a good trick if I could.

Yes we are coverd by the DDA and if my employer thinks he can get rid of my after what he has done and said I should have enough out of him to stop work.LOL. :wink: :lol:

ChocFish

Hmmmm you can achieve great control over your diabetes, but can your boss do something about his lack of brain cells?

The twerp needs educating and a six month residential course at charm school, an intensive one at that!

All the best to you

Karen x

Trinkwasser

Sounds like he used to work for British Leyland, and believes everything he reads in the tabloids.

Diabetes can be controlled but I'm less optimistic there's a positive outcome for *his* condition

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
:lol: That was so funny Trinkwasser, suppose there really is no cure for A**holeitis, though it must be spreading as there are more boss' like him out there, unfortunately.
Suzi x

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
All management courses have a procedure where zip is placed in back of head and brain is extracted! :evil: This process seems to be irreversible,unfortunately!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I once experienced a case of bullying by a colleague and wrote a poem about it which I put on the notice board. It was a bit cutting about the guy in question, but I was ANGRY. He asked to have the poem removed, but a senior member of the staff said that since bulling isn't permitted, the poem could stay. I think everyone read it. I wrote the poem, but the victim of the bullying was someone else. Most people didn't know I'd written it in defence of the dear sweet, slightly "dippy" victim.

barlaysugar

Suggest you print a copy of the Disibility at Work Act regarding diabetics and send it to your manager.

Also print a copy of your companies bullying and harrassment policy and also send it to your manager.

He sounds like an idiot. :evil:

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
Well Trink I thought you was an OK guy till reading this;

Sounds like he used to work for British Leyland, and believes everything he reads in the tabloids.

After spending 33yrs of my working life being employed by Leyland Motors ( I've got the bad back, industrial deafness and my gold watch to prove it )in its many guises, Leyland Truck and Bus, Leyland Vehicles, Leyland Truck, Leyland Bus and British Leyland Motor Corporation, I can assure you I don't believe everything I read in the tabloids.

I convened a meeting of ex Leyland employees to discuss your slanderous remarks,we were unanimous in our decision to take revenge unless a retraction of your statement is published on this board. A fate worse than death awaits,in the form of being force fed the NHS starchy carb diet until you agree to our demands.

Anonymous ex BL employee

SilverAndEbony

I'd have a quiet word with someone you trust at work - someone in HR or another manager. Do you have a team lead you could talk to? If you have a union rep, could you talk to them?
The ideal would be that you have a quite word with someone, they have a quiet word with your manager and it all gets sorted. That's the ideal, and I really hope it pans out like that for you.

Take care

E

rottweilsteve

Dislikes
incorrect punctuation (see above), Otherwise dishonesty, discrimination, prejudicial behaviour. and general nastiness.
<removed by rottweilsteve because in the cold light of day my rhetoric was over the top>

Doczoc

Couldn't it have been just a one off stupid, insensitive remark?

I'm all for standing up for your rights, but I think it would be unwise to start rocking the boat too much over one daft comment, no matter how hurtful it was. If he continues then come out guns blazing, otherwise just treat it with the contempt that it deserves and move on in the happy realisation that you are not as sad as him and his cronies!

Best wishes
Dave

Trinkwasser

graham64 said:
Anonymous ex BL employee

heh heh, sorry I should have been more specific, I was referring to some of their ex-directors and ex-managers, some of which I had the misfortune either to work for or have dealings with at some of my suppliers, most of which seemed to be deliberately offensive and unpleasant.

At one time in the eighties they seem to have released a pack of them into the wild.

If they were in any way representative then you were lions led by donkeys.

Closing down Bristols was a case in point.

(used to drive a vintage Clydesdale, and my favourite bus was the Bristol RE with a Gardner)