Medtronic Paradigm Veo - Cannula Kinking :( Scared!

KinkingPump

Hi, new to this so keep with me!

I've had a Paradigm Veo pump since September last year, and it's fantastic. I was very poorly controlled (8 years with a Hba in the teens and now it's 9) but it's worked wonders for me.

However, a few times over the winter the cannula would kink under my skin and the alarm wouldn't go off to tell me (think hair pin bend!). I would end up with blood sugars off the scale and extremely high ketones (to the point of vomiting).

I thought I had it taped by inserting the cannula whilst standing as opposed to sitting but on Friday I ran into the same old problem :( I was hospitalised with a reading of 33.8 (looking on the bright side of things pre-pump I probably wouldn't have felt a sugar level like this!) and +++ ketones. I realised what the problem was with the kinking/high sugars (I hadn't felt thirsty at all, just sore guts) and within two hours and a lot of water (and new set!) the problem was solved... But it's getting very scary and I'm seriously worried that one day I'm going to lose consciousness.

It sounds stupid but the days it's going to happen all of my skin is sore/I can't find a place where I'm going to feel happy inserting (I'm not at all phobic, it just doesn't feel "right"). I just don't know what to do to get it right, I badly want the pump to work as every other aspect is perfect for me and my lifestyle. It's really starting to rattle my confidence when inserting and I'm living on my nerves for several hours when I insert a new set now (to the point I'll pull out a set that isn't kinked out of paranoia). It really isn't fun any more :(

Any tips or hints would be ever so gratefully received!

kangoo

Have you spoken to a diabetes nurse about the problems you've had? It might not be your technique, it could be that you need a different style of set. There is a steel one that will not kink on you, the downside would be changing every 2 days instead of every three.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

KinkingPump

Thanks, I'd be worried about the steel one as do a lot of horse riding and I'm quite physically active? Have spoken to the nurses, they've offered me a longer cannula but that doesn't make a difference, and suggested inserting on the top of my bum but that doesn't work with the horses etc...

Lucypieee

Dislikes
Diabetes
Have you discussed this with a Medtronic rep? They're the best people to shed light on the steel cannula.

They also have the silhouette cannula which is supposed to be ideal for those with an active lifestyle. It's worth discussing with the reps & your consultant / DSN to see which would be ideal for you.

Sent from Diabetes.co.uk Forum App

KinkingPump

Thanks, spoke to them- so much more resourceful than the nurses I've been speaking to about it. Have some new sets coming out tomorrow :)

Leigh Wood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, I've had exactly the same thing happen to me twice in the last week and also landed up in hospital. I used to use the quickset cannulas on my last Medtronic pump (8 years ago) and never had the problem. I find the Veo quite fiddly. Any information you could pass on would be great. Thanks.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use the Veo and quick set, just over a year now.........

I think I have seen a kinked canullla once, but it didn't have any negative effect on my blood sugars which was lucky...........

the problems I have had, and this was a guess, was the site I chose, this is the only explanation for the high blood sugars....

anyway, what depth/size of canulla are you using? you might need to go for a shorter depth......

I have a nice bit of beef to attach to my belly and often connect to my upper thigh too........what about you.....?

jodysd6

Quick sets used to kink on me all the time, to the point one kinked and led to high bg's and ketones then I replaced and the second one also kinked, and I ended up in full blown DKA. I was a bit scared of trying steel cannulas as I thought they would be uncomfy and I even started using lantus again as half of my basal as I was so desperate to avoid what felt like a constant risk of DKA but then I just tried steel and was sold. Didn't notice them feeling any different apart from one time I ripped one out but even that wasn't so bad so definitely worth trying a few different sets to see if one will work better.

Reactions: 2 people

Leigh Wood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What I meant to say is I use the Mio sets with my Veo! Was using 9mm cannulas, but have recently changed to 6mm. I may try the steel cannulas and see how that goes. I've never had a problem with cannulas kinking in the past. I was using a Roche Accu-chek Combo pump before I started using the Medtronic pump in December and, although it wasn't a very user-friendly meter, I found it very reliable and the fact you can bolus using the bluetooth via your testing kit as a remote control was a huge bonus.

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
I use inset ll for my animas and from what I have read, you can use these with all types of pumps you just need an adapter, to use them with the Medtronic pumps. Might be worth a try??

straygaijin

Medtronic have a number of different sets you can use. I also started off with the Quickset but found that it was kinking and also that I could feel it under my skin in different locations. I changed to the silhouette and haven't had any problems since. They also have the Sure-T and Meo sets that you can try as well. You could ask your Diabetic nurse to give you one of each to try out.

jagger38

Hi there, you are not alone in how you feel. I am on an animas vibe, and have had several ocassions of set failures. I now dread doing a new change, I am using the inset 2. My main fear is air bubbles and kinking, doesnt happen that often, but the fear is always with me. I also do horse riding, and am very active, I am forever checking my tubing isnt twisted, and I regularly do ketone tests, just to be sure all is okay. I hate putting in my sets, sometimes they wont release properly, and its hard finding new places to put them. I like having my pump, but sometimes feel I would be better off back on mdi. Its not easy being a pump user sometimes....

Reactions: 2 people

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Jagger38, have you asked to try any, other sets have you asked for a sample as I rang animas and they sent me trough a load to try. Or maybe speak to your team and if any other pump sets will fit the animas. As I know the sets will with with other pumps, so I would guess, it works the other way round. Hope you get it sorted.

jagger38

Ive got an appointment at the end of march, to discuss other sets with my pump nurse. just feel the inset 2 are getting tricky to put in. I onky started on them as I need a 90 degree angle, to ensure it goes in. I am quite slim build, so need something that will work. I used to use the 30 degree ones, and they just kept coming out.

iHs

Hi

Although the Vibe and Combo use luer connecting tubes some hospitals arrange the funding process for the consumables through just one account being set up so whatever pump is being used, the consumables come from the same.

Have you tried using some clear transpore tape along the white adhesive to prevent it lifting up or using some Skintac?

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Jagger, was it when you were due a set change, or before it was due. Did you correct?? Or temp as I got got told correct as when I did a temp(as a newbie to pump, I stacked, instead :-( )

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
All plastic sets can kink.... Try a stainless steel one...

jagger38

Julie 1471, I had done a set change day before. As I had ketones, and blood in the cannula, I changed the set immediately. It was obvious I wasn't getting any insulin. I dont know why it happened, also annoyed pump never warns me if there is a problem. I wish I could have a cgm, they are so expensive though. Does anyone know if you can rent them?