Just seen my dsn

RosieDred

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just got back from appointment with my dsn and she said I won't see her again. I thought i would always see her so was a bit surprised when she said that.

It must be a good thing though, I told her id started carb counting and that I dealt with my first sick days since diagnosis last week and she was happy with my numbers and how I'm doing.

I finally feel like I might be at least on the right track even if I get lost some days.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Did she not give any indication of what your readings were?

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Hi Rosie, so are you getting a new DSN or ? Well done on your progress. I think you still need to see a doc or nurse regularly though ? Good luck.

Reactions: 2 people

RosieDred

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
She said I can call her if I need to talk to her but she doesn't need to see me now that I'm doing okay. I assumed this was normal?

I'm still waiting to see the consultant who apparently deals with all the other stuff like eyes and feet etc. Maybe I will see them regularly once I actually get an appointment.

Been diagnosed 3 months today, it's gone so fast!

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
She said I can call her if I need to talk to her but she doesn't need to see me now that I'm doing okay. I assumed this was normal?

I'm still waiting to see the consultant who apparently deals with all the other stuff like eyes and feet etc. Maybe I will see them regularly once I actually get an appointment.

As long as you see someone regularly. You need your eyers/feet checked and other things too. I won't list them all but even though you are managing your carbs and BG levels, it's vital that on-going care is received. I would guess Yorksman was referring to your HbA1C result ? This is an average of your last 3months BG readings.

RosieDred

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As long as you see someone regularly. You need your eyers/feet checked and other things too. I won't list them all but even though you are managing your carbs and BG levels, it's vital that on-going care is received. I would guess Yorksman was referring to your HbA1C result ? This is an average of your last 3months BG readings.

I guess it must be the consultant that I will see regularly then. Hope I get my appointment soon because I still feel that there's a lot I don't know that maybe I should by now.

I haven't had a HbA1C test yet, nor has it been mentioned to me. Maybe the consultant will sort that out for me too.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

You'll more than likely see her in and around the diabetes clinic when you are seen by the consultant, usually if you have any problems in-between your annual check the consultant will advise you to contact the diabetes clinic and speak with a DSN.

Well done on your achievements so far :)

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
By readings I meant either a fasting blood test or a blood test called hba1c. You will have been dignosed on one of those and, if she is saying you are doing well, you will have had another blood test. It sounds like you have had the test but that the nurse didn't actually tell you what the result was. It's quite common but it would be nice for you to know what the reading was when you were dignosed and what the reading is now.

RosieDred

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
By readings I meant either a fasting blood test or a blood test called hba1c. You will have been dignosed on one of those and, if she is saying you are doing well, you will have had another blood test. It sounds like you have had the test but that the nurse didn't actually tell you what the result was. It's quite common but it would be nice for you to know what the reading was when you were dignosed and what the reading is now.

Thanks for the clarification. My dsn has never taken any blood from me. The last tests I had done was the day I went into hospital when I was diagnosed. I've met the dsn twice and both times I just have her my bg readings for the week and had a chat.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What is supposed to happen with the dsn? I guess not knowing any different I just assumed it was normal ...

It depends on what she meant when she said 'you won't be seeing me again'. Will you be seeing someone else?

I hope she has not declared you free of diabetes on the basis of your own readings. You should be monitored for a while just in case you have made a mistake wth your own readings. If I were you, I'd ask the GP if you are to remain on the diabetic register and ask him what the next step is. My own GP and DSN were completely and utterly hopeless preferring to save time and money and wouldn't answer my questions. I was fortunate though and they were both forced out of the practice. Even now I have to make requests to see someone. It is not for no good reason that the all party parliamentary committee on diabetes reported that diabetes management in the NHS was wholly inadequate.

Ask to see someone.

RosieDred

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
She just said that I don't have to see her again because I seem to have my readings under control and appear to be doing well. She said she will push for my appointment with the consultant and that I can still contact her if I have a problem with anything.

I won't be seeing another dsn but I will be seeing the consultant at some point.

I think that because I'm carb counting she doesn't need to speak to me because the only reason I had to call her before was so she could adjust my insulin based on a weeks readings.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, it seems like the staff haven't really been very clear with you. You must be seen by a diabetes health professional at least once a year for your annual checks which include the HBa1C blood test, urine test etc. The Diabetes UK website lists all of these things. As a new insulin starter normally you would have an HBa1C test every 6 months or even 3 months to start with. Hopefully you will see a consultant and all will become clear but do ask who will be managing you in the future i.e. your surgery or a diabetes consultant. Both should be telling you your test readings and discussing ongoing treatment with you

abs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Your general nurse at your surgery will do all your blood tests and annual review to check feet etc. you normally have a blood test a week or two before you see your consultant.

My DNS originally said the same I'm guessing they generally can't see every person however I had complications in you're areas so I stay in contact with my DSN.

kkkk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It sounds like you are doing well…do call her if you have any problems or if there is anything you are not sure about. I have been diabetic ages….and so only really see the nurses at my annual consultant appointment at the hospital, but I can call them anytime I am having problems and they will help - this happens less the longer you've had it! I would imagine early on you will see the consultant at least every 6 months, and then once they are happy annually - and then move to a mid appt with the GP - so I see someone every 6months and get feet, hba1cs and all that stuff done then too. How often were you seeing the nurse? I know that when I go on a pump it will be back to speaking to the nurses daily, then weekly and then once I am happy with working that I will go back to the 'not very often' camp :)

SugarPlums

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My DSN via DAFNE is OK, but there seems to be different approach to treatment from the Consultant.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi - sounds like your DSN feels you are managing well - they definately would not be cutting off any communication with you though so i'm sure you can still get hold of her. They are really there to ensure you understand how to manage this condition and so are there to support you in the early days. I was seeing a consultant twice a year but am now on annual visits because I eat low carb. Also over 2 years diagnosed and I never got into carb counting as early as you, i've only done this in the last year after going high and low, so if you've grasped this early on then well done, I wish I had understood this earlier on but felt confused by so many mixed messages in the early days. It takes trial and error to work out what's right for you, my favourite saying is 'fat's my friend, sugar's my enemy' now !

2 years on and I feel like I have ownership of my diabetes, I still get the odd hypo like yesterday at the supermarket but I generally understand why that is. The art is to keep it in your back pocket so you always respect it and appreciate it, but don't let it interfere with your life and keep finding new challenges.

Well done and keep it up ;)

RosieDred

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you everyone. I assumed it was a good thing and I'm glad that's how it seems to others too. I can call my dsn if I need to but she's happy that I'm doing the right thing so doesn't need to see me.

I have an appointment with the consultant in April, it will be my first one so hopefully it will go well (whatever it is that happens there)