Metformin side effects again and weight loss.

mj14

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok so I have done really well with my weight and have lost 1 stone (another 1 and a half to go) given up all cakes, bread, potato, crisps, sweets and any other no no's - decided low carb was the way to go.

My question is the good old Metformin side effects again - started tablets 9 days ago and have gradually built them upto 3 a day and side effects are fine apart from bloating!!!! Since I have been taking the tablets my weight has stayed exactly the same and not even lost a pound :( considering I was doing so well this is disappointing for me.

In my head I am thinking no weight loss? is this due to the tabs as diet has stayed the same (if not better than previous weeks)

My whole dilemma is if I can drop a stone in 3 weeks then I am obviously giving my body a better chance at controlling the diabetes. I have done a complete turnaround in my food intake and choices of food and felt healthier. The bloating and lack of any weight loss this wk has put me on the turn and now thinking of going back to diet and portion control alone. When I saw my doctor I wanted to try diet alone (diagnosed 5 wks ago) but he insisted I have the Metformin....

Has anybody else had this problem with Metformin?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you a lady person, or a gentleman person? If you are female, how old are you?

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
The stomach issues are well known with metformin and the SR version can alleviate a lot of these unwanted side effects. As for the sudden stop if weight loss, I think this is quite normal. Most people hit a plateau occasionally or slow right down. Stick with it and it'll start coming down again. I honestly don't think the metformin is the cause.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks mj14.

I can't comment on Metformin as I have no personal experience, however vis-a-vis weight loss, I might urge you to be be patient for the time being. As Mo suggests, weight loss is rarely a linear exercise, and this can be exaggerated in females of the species. As, I'm sure you know all to well, we can experience cyclical weight fluctuations, and these can several pounds, in either direction, without anything being amiss. Did you track your weight before embarking on your lifestyle changes, and if you did, did you have any potentially cyclical changes?

Stick with the decent diet, and I guess stick with the medication. Who knows, one day you may wake to a few pounds lost apparently overnight.

I know weight loss and testing are our interim measures of success, but don't be disheartened.

Madbazoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your body will take time to adjust to the Metformin and 9 days is not very long to worry about. It is not designed to reduce weight but does help to suppress the appetite. I can go a couple of weeks sometimes without losing weight and then it starts again as my body adjusts itself.

If you want to share your daily diet with the forum then you will get a lot of advice to help you fine tune it.

Keep the faith and you will succeed.