Tattoos

david6026

Hi I'm 29 an iv had Diabeties for just over a year I'm wanting to get another tattoo now but as Diabeties is my new friend iv been told not to... What's other peoples views on this ?? Thanks again :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Danny Prince

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
My Likes
Just curious why was you told not to, I can't seem to see how it'd affect your diabetes

Reactions: 2 people

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I had mine done just before Xmas, they just say It can take longer to heal
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1393252005.322701.jpg

Sent from my iPad

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Diabetes reduces the immune system and makes wound heal slower so you are at an increased risk of infection

However if your bg is controlled and you follow the care instructions you should be ok

I had one done 9 months ago without problem

cath99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
i had one 3 weeks ago and had no probs healed fine and fast i guess were all different , im type 2

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not
HI I've had lots of tatts diagnosed 75 had my first done 81 and I've had serious problems with diabetes back then, all that I found was they take longer to heal but no probs same as my piercings, just keep them clean I always found worked.

david6026

Cheers folks just been hearing some story's about people getting tattoos and ended up getting infected or didn't heel and caused all sorts of problems lol think il just get my full back piece started at the weekend lol :)

Reggie64

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who think they know a lot about Diabetes and actually don't.
I am due to get my tattoo at the end of March, It appears that if you look after it then there shouldn't be any problems.

Common sense about keeping it clean and away from anything that may infect it.

Usual stuff with tattoo's.

Why not ........... we rule diabetes ..... it doesn't and shouldn't rule us.:D

Marfmama

Just be prepared during the process, if its a big tattoo you will need snacks/drinks, the stress on your body will either cause a hyper or a hypo so just be prepared :) I have had plenty since diagnosis and been fine, but had one a couple of weeks before I was diagnosed, so I was really ill but didnt know why, and I threw up during the tattoo ha! Felt like a wimp at the time but realise now that I probably should have been in hospital

Deanna_Griff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
• Minging hypos
• Uncontrollable highs
• People who think I can’t eat doughnuts.. haha
Hey, don't listen to that ****! I was 16 diagnosed type 1 last february, so its been a year now, 3 and a half months after being diagnosed i had this tattooed on my right arm and it healed lovely!, I love it :'), proud type1 indeed :D

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1393447014.428732.jpg

Reactions: 10 people

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
I've got 13, so I need to even it up, but I've never had a problem, not even with my earrings being done 3 in each ear, nose and tummy piecered. And no probs healing even with semi high blood sugars, it's all about the care . My last tat. It hurt but I love it as a custom design.
image.jpg

Ladybird1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I'm 29 an iv had Diabeties for just over a year I'm wanting to get another tattoo now but as Diabeties is my new friend iv been told not to... What's other peoples views on this ?? Thanks again :)

Hi, I have been diabetic for 50 years now and I had my first tattoo about 4 years ago, never had a problem with it. I'm thinking of having another one done, as long as you trust your tattooist and check your blood sugar whilst it's being done you should be fine. Well thats my view anyway, good luck

saramaz75

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had my biggest tat to date within weeks of being diagnosed and it healed fine, in about the same amount of time it took the ones I had done proir to diagnosis. Just look after yourself and the tat properly during the healing process. I plan on having another large piece done when pennies allow.

Shandré

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I was wondering the same thing you know. I'm 23 and I'm due to get another Tattoo end of March and ever since I made my appointment ppl have been talking me into a panic. I had my first Tattoo done before I was diagnosed. Pretty excited for this one. So I think we should probably just stay calm (hehe) and just do it.

I mean really now, we're pretty strong people if we can live with Diabetes! We can kinda do anything!

#hugs and good luck with the Tatt

kimkennedy89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being unwell & high blood sugars!
I've been diabetic 6 years and have got a few tattoos over that period of time. Being diabetic doesn't mean you cannot get a tattoo, it just may take slightly longer for your skin to heal but all you need to do is have good control and keep an eye out for any parts that start to look infected :)

MrsBRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got this done last summer. My 6th. Had type one for 30 years. If you look after your tattoo & I always take iron tablets to help heal. Never had any problems. My nurse has even recommended others to get a similar tattoo. She loves it.

Reactions: 4 people