Type 1 Finger pricks

c.rose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have been type one diabetic for nearly 5 years now and the tips of my fingers are becoming sore with tiny little black dots becoming more prominent... just wondered if anyone has any tips to make this less worse

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Do you stick with the same fingers ? I try to rotate fingers, and even certain sides of a finger. Occasionally get a bit sore but nothing too bad. Also, can you adjust your finger pricker to minimal level just to get drop of blood ? No magic answer though really, sorry.
Mo

Keith300-01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Strong wind
Try changing the lancet every day as I used to get this years ago I use the sides of fingers as well but a blunt lancet will hurt more and scar where you test know its a pest I have a accu-chek pricker 6 lancets in one and turn it every morning hope you heal keith

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

parameswaran

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I could be due to using old lancet needles. Change lancet needles daily and also rotate fingers. This may solve the problem. I would sugest you to discuss with the your doctor if this is not solving the problem.

c.rose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks guys, I try changing my lancet as often as I remember , I also use the accu check 6 lancet pricker set but I end up changing this once a month maybe so I will try to remember to change this daily, thanks for the help guys :)
Callie

south711

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
being a diabetic and finding restrictions.to life style. people who do not understand the problems one has. not being able to afford to come back to uk for holidays as often, quite expensive. miss some foods that the French do not do. but can live with that French drivers. who love to tail gate. and they love to drive over the white line. in rural areas they are a pain. but get use to it. does put the wind up you. But driving in the UK found that drivers want to get as close as they can. and the traffic. it took me 25 minutes to get to friends house which was less then a mile away. due to traffic.
fingers pricks. at the moment I seem to be pricking my fingers, as getting errors come up this machine accu chek I has 6 pins. works ok. but find that sometime even warming fingers not enough blood. so meter does not read. I agree tried several fingers side front etc etc. but I expect to get use to it. otherwise. my fingers could drop off sorry just a joke I hope ................ I have been using 3 and sometimes 4 before getting a reading.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I have been type one diabetic for nearly 5 years now and the tips of my fingers are becoming sore with tiny little black dots becoming more prominent... just wondered if anyone has any tips to make this less worse

Try poking the side of your fingers :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Moisturise.. I had pretty much same type of lancet as you.. And more, testing at least 8 times a day for 30 years... Moisturise.... I got tough hard hands from gardening.. But my tips are all okay nowadays just solely from really moisturising **** well...

Reactions: 2 people

aditi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey!

I face this problem every now and then.. sometimes i get comfy with one finger or one hand and keep pricking.. so remember to change fingers and try different bits of each finger.. just a small point.. no hassle on that.. at one point i used to use neutrogena hand cream and it worked.. essentially try getting something for crazy dry hands.. but remember to change fingers or else inspite of the cream you will still have the issue!

2131tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I always use the lancet on the sides of my fingers not the tips, as these tend to become sore - given the tips are unavoidably used to for other things (e.g. typing!).

It can also be difficult not to use different fingers and I have to remember to also use my left hand, as I seem to naturally go for my right - and usually fingers 2, 3 and 4, at that.

I've developed a system, however, of testing on one hand one week, and reverting to the other the week afterwards. It's worked so far, though to be fair I have only been testing for 10 months or so .....

Reactions: 6 people

c.rose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I do use the sides of my fingers not the pads and I only use the last three fingers so not my thumb and first finger as I was told there is a risk of loosing feeling in those fingers if I prick them. Thanks I will start moisturising with extra dry stuff :)

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm new to diabetes and wasn't sure if moisturiser would alter my bg reading. I feel more confident to use it now. Thanks :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I just rub a little vaseline in when I get home from work gardening. It helps my gardening hands and the diabetic pin points!! I literally mean the most minimal amount I can get away with..

My podiatrist said it good for hardened nails on feet, so when I do them, I do my hands too...