New Type 1 diagnosis

tomvonc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anyone who asks a question about diabetes without thinking what they're asking.
So I have been sitting around for a month or so. Off work, not really eating, drinking 3 gallons of water a day, stinking of raspberries, vomiting, too tired to move. Eventually, on the 13th of Jan, I literally crawl to my GP's. He takes one look at me, asks me to pee in a jar, and 2 mins later an ambulance has arrived to take me to the Western General Hospital in Edinburgh.

Straight away, I have Saline, Potassium and Insulin going into me, a few painkillers and within 2 hours I'm beginning to feel human again.
Since then it hasbeen a fast learning curve. for the first couple of weeks, I was told to take a stupidly small dose of insulin, was still eating ****, and within a couple of weeks I was back in hospital with DKA.

Discharged 10 days ago and started to take it seriously. Changed my diet, started taking my BM 7 times a day, and adjusting my insulin properly. Yeah I make a f**k up and end up hypo a few times a week, but generally feel I am slowly getting control. Started putting back some of the 3 stone I lost, and generally feeling better. Anyhow, finding this forum very helpful.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Good to read you're starting to get your head around things. It takes a while and there will be mistakes and stress along the way but it does get easier. Well done.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Not a nice experience for you. You say you have started to put back 3 stone. I hope this is just the weight you lost that will take you to a good BMI. Please do not try to get back to an overweight state as this will cause insulin resistance and take you round a loop. What insulin regime are you on? If it's Basal/Bolus are you on a fixed Bolus dose or are you carb-counting? Carb-counting is the way to avoid hypos and get the best control of your blood sugar. Do discuss your future treatment with the nurse or GP and come back here with any questions. I hope the diet advice included keeping the carbs down; some NHS diet advice is not the best!

tomvonc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anyone who asks a question about diabetes without thinking what they're asking.
No, I was 85kg, very fit and apart from being a smoker, in pretty good shape, I went down to under 70kg, could see the bones in my face sticking out, and looked like I was starving to death. It is releif to be putting on weight!
I'm carb counting. On 14u Lantus at night, and about 1u per 12g of carbs in the morning and 1u per 8g carbs later on. Making the odd error and hypoing, but nothing that a few glucose tabs wont solve. Diet wise, I have always eaten well and healthy, so it has been a case of avoiding spiky carbs like wheat and rice. Just discovered Quinoa. Great tasty stuff. Bit pricy though.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
Glad you are getting more used to the idea, im 10yrs in and still make mistakes, look forward to hearing how u get on:)

Paul J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
all the things i should have.....well some anyway
your doing ok, I was told T1 3 years ago , complete shock to me and everyone that knows me, however its a very steep learning curve and if you are fortunate enough to have a good DSN, Then lean on her/him, and extract all the info you can, initially i followed the advice given to me to the letter, and it worked for me, yes we all get it wrong, but we are not all the same, support from your family is essential, but dont expect them to understand, they wont.... the're not diabetic... and will always try to offer advice with the best of intentions.... and tell you what you must do... but who has the condition .... you must do what your body and meter tell you, test regularly, before a meal, count carbs, accuratlly it really does matter, insulate accordingly and test again 2 hours after, be regimental......your family will tell you your obsessed,.... you need to be.... test if you dont feel right,or you feel different ... make a diary of what you eat and when, how you feel and when and when you test, after a while a pattern will emerge and the clouds will clear and you will get it... .......but it doesnt happen overnight, ...mood swings,.. depressive moods... all part of it sadly ,
I now have really good control of my BG and Colesteraol levels, and eat and drink within reason to suit myself, i do generally have a low carb diet, and dont like sweet things that much, ...I used too however, its my palete that has changed, not even keen on dark chocalate digestives any longer... LOTS OF SUPPORT HERE ON THE FORUM good luck