Body building and protein shakes

david6026

Any one building mussel that is type one diabetic ? Would like to hear some views on this and what protein u use and what way it affects bloods ? Cheers in advance :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Mezzy954

Hi David I take regular protein shakes and creatine too. I take a whey protein that contains no more than 3 carbs in a 24g scoop I take the shake pre work out with 200ml of milk and post with creatine but with 250ml water. My sugars are usually around the 5 -8 mark before gym and after they are about 10 but that's normal as weight lifting can raise blood sugar, however over a few hours it does drop so make sure to get a few carbs down you. I buy my protein supplements from protein works which have some proteins that even state they are diabetic friendly :)

Reactions: 2 people

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
l dont know about body building but use The Protein Works
l am training and felt my protein wasnt quite right so after a session l have a glass of protein. Theirs tasts yummy marked if suitable for diabetics etc phone line with proper phone number look under their faq link.
Not all their products say suitable for diabetics their biltong is but doesnt say so if unsure ring them and ask.
They also make items to your spek.
I am still 4+ weeks later waiting for companys to get back to me if their items are suitable.

Reactions: 2 people

david6026

Cheers for the advice folks I'm just starting to take syntha 6 protein is not high on carbs so going to give this a go and c what it dose to me when I take it half hour before training and then drink plenty of water after training that's what the personal trainer advised me to do would yas agree ?

juliarosa

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Every body is different. A pound is 3500 calories. The more muscle you have, the faster you'll burn the fat.

You need weight training 3 times a week, alternating days. Cardio is fine too.

You have to eat and burn calories to take you under your maintenance calories. For instance, there are calculators out there to do this...my maintenance is 1800 calories a day. If I were to eat 1500 calories a day, that's 300 calories a day less than what it takes to maintain my body weight. 300 times 7 days is 2100 calories. Not quite a pound. So, let's say my goal is to workout 3 times a week and add cardio 2 times and I burned 1900 calories through that. 1900 plus 2100 is 4000 calories.

One pound being 3500 calories, I've just lost just over a pound in a week.

4 1/2 pounds a month times 6 is 27 pounds.

Plus, people that are very overweight, tend to lose more in the beginning because there's water weight etc. that comes off faster.

But that's the basic foundation.

I'm doing a program just for women at http://inshapenow.net. It's amazing with great support from women doing this program or have already succeeded.

Just remember...

Less calories, build muscle through weights, eat protein and carbs through veggies and fruit. You need fat in your diet, don't cut it all out. There are good fats. Dump the diet sodas, they won't help, and actually have been proven to hurt weight loss.

Good luck