Stuff... What am I entitled too...

Paul840

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I live in the UK... And at the moment I am Unemployed

Been Type 2 Diabetic since 12th Feb 2014..

So can I get any Blood Sugar Monitors + associated equipment FREE OF CHARGE???????

If so, where do I go to get it??

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ask your GP/DN but many won't give to T2's who aren't on a medication which can cause a hypo. Thats why so many of us buy our own - for our peace of mind and health.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
If unemployed and in receipt of benefits you would get free prescriptions but your doc may/may not prescribe the equipment.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You have to ask your GP or DN and I'm afraid it is a bit of a lottery. They can't even agree with each other what diets people should follow and the whole thing is a disjointed mess. Don't waste time getting frustrated with them. Just ask and if they say no, ask a couple of weeks later.

In the meantime, you can find lots of good info here about foods, what to eat and what to avoid. Since you are starting out, my advice would be to obviously avoid all the sweet sugary foods and then also stick to low GI foods like brown rice, wholewheat pasta and things like oats and pearl barley. Stay away from bread and white rice for the time being, especially without a meter. Try and get some figures from the GP such as your HBA1c or Fasting Blood Glucose results. You can ask here what they mean if your GP doesn't explain them to you.

Reactions: 2 people

Paul840

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for your replies... I am seeing my Diabetic Nurse this coming Friday (the 28th) so will ask her about a free reader... Thanks

Cath16

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I hope you are lucky and get one and some strips on prescription. If you have to buy these yourself, however, you are entitled to get them VAT free. You can get the form for this from the Internet.

Cath

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You can get plenty of readers online if you tell them your on insulin they will send them free in the post.

Sent from my iPad