Best time to take Metformin SR

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
So, what do you reckon the best time to take metformin SR is?
Doesn't have to be with food particularly for me, as I can take them anytime.

Just the best time to get the most effective use of the drug?

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
It's slow release so time doesn't really matter. I would still take with evening meal, that way at least you should remember it and ensure you take it at a regularish time.

parameswaran

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Can have at any time after meal. After evening meal is better. Take it at the same time in alll days.

C

catherinecherub

Usual Metformin is usually taken 3 times a day when you get to the maximum dose. All of the drug is released into your body within 30 minutes.

Slow release is designed to release the medication slowly into your body over 8 hours.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Usual Metformin is usually taken 3 times a day when you get to the maximum dose. All of the drug is released into your body within 30 minutes.

Slow release is designed to release the medication slowly into your body over 8 hours.

That's what I thought about the SR.

Mine was prescribed to be taken in one dose, two tablets in the evening.
So I'll be asleep for most of it.

Hence the cunning plan, would I be better off with both with breakfast, 1 in the morning, 1 at night, etc....

Karen.G.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it's a "suck it and see" question. It's whatever works with your body. I have two tablets with breakfast and two tablets with my evening meal.

VerityJ

I am on 1000mg SR a day and I take them in the morning after breakfast. They obviously are still working in the evening because my dosage has just been upped to 1000mg fro 500mg and I have just started to have regular lows of a night time.

Hrw1959

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My doctor has put me on Metformin SR 500mg in the morning, as well as 160 mg Gliclazide in the morning and at tea time. Unfortunately it hasn't made much difference apart from side effects.

suenjames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take my 2000mg sr after my evening meal with 1 80mg of gliclazide and 1 80mg with my breakfast

BrenDorset

I'm thinking, perhaps with evening meal would be good for a person experiencing the "Dawn Phenomenon" - raised BG levels before breakfast. The peak effect is about eight hours after taking metformin prolonged release tablets, which means it could suppress the release of glucose by the liver that is happening in the hours leading up to getting up in the morning.

Lowest BG levels tend to be between 2 am and 4 am, hopefully this coinciding with the peak suppression from metformin slow release won't push one to hypoglycemia.

If one took it when going to bed the metformin Prolonged Release effectiveness would peak in time for getting up.

I'd be happy to hear of any opinions.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm thinking, perhaps with evening meal would be good for a person experiencing the "Dawn Phenomenon" - raised BG levels before breakfast. The peak effect is about eight hours after taking metformin prolonged release tablets, which means it could suppress the release of glucose by the liver that is happening in the hours leading up to getting up in the morning.

Lowest BG levels tend to be between 2 am and 4 am, hopefully this coinciding with the peak suppression from metformin slow release won't push one to hypoglycemia.

If one took it when going to bed the metformin Prolonged Release effectiveness would peak in time for getting up.

I'd be happy to hear of any opinions.

Hi Bren
Bit of an old thread (last post before yours was over 6 years ago)
I just changed what I ate and ditched medication completely.