Too fat to be a type 1?!

miss_sammie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there all, well I am new to the forum but not new to diabetes. I am currently in my 3rd year now and still feel a little un nerved by it all still. I have had quite a bad experience from my perspective with diabetes and think this is leading to me loosing momentum with feeling confident and willing to fight.

I first diagnosed in May 2011, when I collapsed on the side of the road throwing up and nearly unconscious. I was rushed into hospital to not only find I was diabetic with blood sugars running at 35+ but was in a state of ketonacidosis. After sitting on an insulin driver for 2 days, I was sent home by the diabetic team with metformin and insulin. Metformin because I'm carrying weight and insulin because of my age. The diabetic team openly admitted they didn't know what to do with me, because I was too young for type 2 at the age of 25 but because of my weight that automatically put me into the type 2 category.

Even though, I had been tested for pre diabetes numerous amounts of times before, and that this was quite a quick onset of diabetes (pointing to diabetes), I was told quite blatantly "I was too fat to be a type 1", has anyone else experienced this blatant disregard for respect for someone when they are feeling pretty low in themselves already?!

Anyway, for the next couple of months, I was on meds, and insulin was withdrawn from my regime. And this is where the downward spiral began...hospital nearly every other month with ketonacidosis, numerous yeast and thrush infections, tired all the time and I was ready to give up! I really was. All I wanted was to be treated properly without someone judging me and cutting corners, because they judged me on my weight.

Finally by the end of last year and being rushed into hospital with another state of ketonacidosis and my kidneys breaking down and sugars just climbing and climbing, I was hospitalised again, again told I was "too fat" and that although I already had an autoimmune disease (under active thyroid), this did not denote another autouimmune disease (type 1 diabetes), I was given the dreaded xenitide(pancreas stimulating drug) and on my merry way. Well that didn't work either, no lower blood sugars, just a very painful pancreas.

I was then sent to a lovely diabetic unit, just round the corner from me and haven't looked back since. I am now carb counting everything I eat, so rapid acting insulin up to about 6-8 times a day, slow acting insulin in the evenings and metformin, so that my tubby little self with absorb the insulin I'm putting in. By no means are my sugars under control, they still go haywire, but my diabetic nurse "it's a blip" and she fantastic at looking at the long term, instead or right now. I couldn't do it without her (or my family) and hey not bad for some who is too fat to a be a type 1 and not require insulin, ay?!

Thanks for listening and any tips or tricks on what to do next and how to keep my chin up will be appreciated...

Sammie

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome, for starters who ever disrespected you is an idiot. But that sounds like a common thing from a hcp that hasn't Got a clue, the first thing that I was going to ask is if you have had a anti gad test done, as that will tell you what type of diabetes you have, also could you let us know what your diet is like and maybe some of the others may be able to help you on that side

Sent from my iPad

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
The treatment you got was totally outrageous. They could have easily given you a c-peptide test to determine if you were T1 or T2. Sounds like they were just being "fatist". Good to hear you're now getting on ok.

A

AnnieC

Hi there all, well I am new to the forum but not new to diabetes. I am currently in my 3rd year now and still feel a little un nerved by it all still. I have had quite a bad experience from my perspective with diabetes and think this is leading to me loosing momentum with feeling confident and willing to fight.

I first diagnosed in May 2011, when I collapsed on the side of the road throwing up and nearly unconscious. I was rushed into hospital to not only find I was diabetic with blood sugars running at 35+ but was in a state of ketonacidosis. After sitting on an insulin driver for 2 days, I was sent home by the diabetic team with metformin and insulin. Metformin because I'm carrying weight and insulin because of my age. The diabetic team openly admitted they didn't know what to do with me, because I was too young for type 2 at the age of 25 but because of my weight that automatically put me into the type 2 category.

Even though, I had been tested for pre diabetes numerous amounts of times before, and that this was quite a quick onset of diabetes (pointing to diabetes), I was told quite blatantly "I was too fat to be a type 1", has anyone else experienced this blatant disregard for respect for someone when they are feeling pretty low in themselves already?!

Anyway, for the next couple of months, I was on meds, and insulin was withdrawn from my regime. And this is where the downward spiral began...hospital nearly every other month with ketonacidosis, numerous yeast and thrush infections, tired all the time and I was ready to give up! I really was. All I wanted was to be treated properly without someone judging me and cutting corners, because they judged me on my weight.

Finally by the end of last year and being rushed into hospital with another state of ketonacidosis and my kidneys breaking down and sugars just climbing and climbing, I was hospitalised again, again told I was "too fat" and that although I already had an autoimmune disease (under active thyroid), this did not denote another autouimmune disease (type 1 diabetes), I was given the dreaded xenitide(pancreas stimulating drug) and on my merry way. Well that didn't work either, no lower blood sugars, just a very painful pancreas.

I was then sent to a lovely diabetic unit, just round the corner from me and haven't looked back since. I am now carb counting everything I eat, so rapid acting insulin up to about 6-8 times a day, slow acting insulin in the evenings and metformin, so that my tubby little self with absorb the insulin I'm putting in. By no means are my sugars under control, they still go haywire, but my diabetic nurse "it's a blip" and she fantastic at looking at the long term, instead or right now. I couldn't do it without her (or my family) and hey not bad for some who is too fat to a be a type 1 and not require insulin, ay?!

Thanks for listening and any tips or tricks on what to do next and how to keep my chin up will be appreciated...

Sammie

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
It's outrageous indeed!:(

Tests revealed eventually I was indeed an autoimmune type 1 diabetic patient and I was overweight at diagnosis so they they originally diagnosed type 2 despite my history of having other autoimmune conditions and being fairly young at diagnosis.

They really do need to start thinking outside the box as diabetics come in all shapes and sizes regardless of type.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

AnnieC

Hi and welcome pleased you are now doing well with the help of your new diabetic team

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You can be both T1 and T2 called double diabetes. This can happen when you are overweight and have insulin resistance and then the auto-immune aspect of T1 separately kicks in. If you are still overweight I would keep the carbs down to both reduce weight and help blood sugar control using perhaps a smaller amount of insulin over time. This will make it easier to get the balance right and minimise sugar swings. The hospital should have given you a GAD and c-peptide test when you kept have ketoacidosis and not just assuming T2; overweight T2s tend not to go into ketoacidosis that easily

jobo

So which are you T1 or T2? I think the way you've been treated is really awful. Glad you've found a good team.
Btw, I have seen kids as young as 9 with T2 and adults as old as 45 newly diagnosed with T1.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Karen.G.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Totally shocking way to be treated. I am not sure why Drs put everything down to our weight. Some of us are overweight due to certain medical conditions. I have to say I love the Diabetes Team I am under at the moment they have really helped. It's amazing what having a good DSN will do for you. Keep up the good work.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

cath99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
such bad expierence for you its shameful but here ur with friends who understand what you talk about, i was diagnosed type 2 with weight 2 weeks later my friend who is stick thin was diag type 2 ?? so its not all about weight just ignorence and careleness of words sometimes xx

Reactions: 2 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Sometimes the origins of these people are a mystery to me! You should have called him/her an offensive name then when they reacted looked all surprised and say well I thought we didn't need to take anyone's feelings into account and could just say what we want. Sorry. You shouldn't really day that but it incenses me. In no other job would you be able to insult your client and get away with it, I would make a complaint.

Reactions: 2 people