Healthy Pancakes?

Sunhat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is there such a thing as healthy pancakes? I do not like them with sugar, just neat lemon juice. Any suggestions?

A

AnnieC

Is there such a thing as healthy pancakes? I do not like them with sugar, just neat lemon juice. Any suggestions?
I think there is a pancake recipe using almond flour on the food recipe forum here

Sunhat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That would be impossible, wholemeal flour has just about hit the shops here, I think I will be long dead before exotic almond flour arrived!!!:):) but thanks for the reply. I do have some maize flour, I wondered about that?

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It depends on how high your BG levels are but for me, wholemeal flour is OK but, it has to be 100% wholemeal and a lot of it is actually mixed with white flour.

Although I haven't tried it for pankcakes, wholewheat durum flour, semolina, is low GI. It is much more coarsely milled than baking flours and that makes a big difference to the rate at which it is digested.

There are plenty of recipes for semolina pancakes.

201005-r-semolina-pancakes.jpg

See also About Durum Wheat and the Glycemic Index

Kelsie

I tried flourless pancakes the other day-just two bananas and two eggs....mix em up and fry them as normal. They taste yummy and so easy to make! :) I only needed a couple units of insulin for it and they're great as a pre-exercise meal :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That would be impossible, wholemeal flour has just about hit the shops here, I think I will be long dead before exotic almond flour arrived!!!:)

Have you thought about looking online to buy it? It may be worth checking, but possibly the postage might be a bit high for you...

Robbity

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
That would be impossible, wholemeal flour has just about hit the shops here, I think I will be long dead before exotic almond flour arrived!!!:):) but thanks for the reply. I do have some maize flour, I wondered about that?
Almond flour is just ground almonds.

Reactions: 2 people

tomvonc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anyone who asks a question about diabetes without thinking what they're asking.
I make them with ground almond, baking powder and eggs. I do add a little white flour as it improves texture and sticks them together

sagarg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Hello,
I haven't eaten pancakes yet but mu mum made pancake by oatmeal powder and that is also very tasty and health...

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Almond flour is just ground almonds readily available in all supermarkets. You need psyllium husk though. I sourced this at our corner shop but the lady was a little taken aback as it's other use is as a laxative so I wouldn't stray too far from a loo until you find out what the effect is!

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Almond flour is just ground almonds readily available in all supermarkets. You need psyllium husk though. I sourced this at our corner shop but the lady was a little taken aback as it's other use is as a laxative so I wouldn't stray too far from a loo until you find out what the effect is!
Using 1-2 tbsp of psyllium husk want make your tummy upset, no risk of running for the loo.
Here's my favourite (very filling and very low in carbs) - http://lowcarbhealthyfat.com/2014/02/03/waffles-pancakes-the-scandinavian-way/

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes