BDA Holidays

NotSoSweet2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rudeness, tv soaps.
Hi Richard, No I never knew they existed. Have you been yourself? If so what did you think of them, would you recommend them?

RichardJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes back in 96 - 98. If I remember correctly it was for 13 - 16yr olds, a week away from the parents, can't remember much more than that.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Never went on the holidays but remember DUK being the BDA and getting the magazine :)

NotSoSweet2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rudeness, tv soaps.
They don't sound very memorable if you can't remember them o_O:)

RichardJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I just can't remember the age range you had to be. Didn't know if they are still going? And weather they had updated the way they managed diabetes, and not still doing "you do x amount of units a meal no more no less" (this was almost 20yrs ago!).

NotSoSweet2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rudeness, tv soaps.
I wonder if there are any other such groups, holidays for diabetics sounds good in theory but I guess not all would want to go along as they may prefer to be in the normal category (whatever that is) I wouldn't mind going on one if they made it appealing enough or was it just a educational thing in managing your diabetes? We should create a holiday group, who's in?

Keith300-01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Strong wind
I went on 2 of them , the 1st was okay a lot of learning with some day trips put in as well the 2nd was GREAT it was a water adventure week up beside aviemore it was out on sailing boats one day on bikes the next canoes BBQ at night packed lunch if you was away , with learning and fun things at night I was 14 at the time 28 years ago and still remember every day, you also got a grant to pay most of it if not all as back in the day I remember mum did not have lots of cash bringing up 2diabetic's and having to pay for syringes and other diabetic things ! I have taken my kids back about 5 years ago now and it's still going ! They enjoyed out on a boat brought back happy childhood times for me ! :)

WilliamIrvine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who think they are the only one's in the world that have any problems, animal abuse of any type
I went on 2 BDA holidays and they were fantastic. I then went on 3 DUK Holidays as the qualified nurse and again found them fantastic as I was able to help the teenagers that were sadly not coping.

I don't like the way they are run lately but would consider being there to help again.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
From the 70s so long before your time and I have put the link somewhere else recently but you might like to watch It's the first of 2 videos both on you tube