Dislikes
Doctors
yikes can you imagine how much trouble i could get into if i drank

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Much as I agree low carbing works wonders for many I don't think we should be going against specific doctors advice in avoiding LCHF diets. We don't know any history and we're not medically trained.
I know my husband's history at least as well as a GP he's seen twice since we moved to England. And I find advice to someone with heart failure that it's OK to abandon the only diet that's worked and get back into the obese category suspect at least.

But that's only my opinion: my husband is an adult and as you say the GP a professional, and I haven't interfered. I've simply watched in dismay as my husband has followed medical advice, regained 20kg and started to suffer again from breathlessness, aching joints and reactive depression.

Kate

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I know my husband's history at least as well as a GP he's seen twice since we moved to England. And I find advice to someone with heart failure that it's OK to abandon the only diet that's worked and get back into the obese category suspect at least.

But that's only my opinion: my husband is an adult and as you say the GP a professional, and I haven't interfered. I've simply watched in dismay as my husband has followed medical advice, regained 20kg and started to suffer again from breathlessness, aching joints and reactive depression.

Kate
Kate, my advice was more generic. I'm sure you know your husband well and I have no clue how good or bad your doc is. My point was that hyndreds of others read these forums and I don't think we should send a message out to others to ignore specific advice from their docs.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I look at the doc, I think of the kids at school who became docs. I understand then why the wrong limbs are amputated, the wrong organs removed, the wrong blood transfused and why so little is correctly diagnosed at the GP's surgery.

A lot of them went into law. A lot of them went into accountancy and a very large number went into banking.

I understand the state of the nation.

Reactions: 5 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
When I look at the doc, I think of the kids at school who became docs. I understand then why the wrong limbs are amputated, the wrong organs removed, the wrong blood transfused and why so little is correctly diagnosed at the GP's surgery.

A lot of them went into law. A lot of them went into accountancy and a very large number went into banking.

I understand the state of the nation.
Tears of laughter are rolling down my cheeks as I read this with my morning cuppa - thank you! I teach some of these individuals and often have the same thoughts. One of my favourite conversations goes like this:
Miss, is Norway a town in France?
No, Jane. Norway is a country in Scandinavia.
So do they speak French in Norway or Scandinavia?
No, Jane. They speak Norwegian.
This student was in the top set for everything. I, too, weep for the state of the Nation. That said, our previous head of geography did not know what the capital of Sweden was or what the Venus de Milo was. Lol!

JustDomUK

Kate

If in any doubt to your doctors advice then seek a second opinion. This is not a bad thing to ask your doctor to do this, it's really an opportunity to settle any doubts you may have. You're not questioning his ability either because another doctor may very well verify what your GP has said. At least this way you'd know whether it was the right advice medically. That said, you're more in a position as his wife to have a more holistic view of your husband. Don't feel that you can't get the second opinion if you need it.

Dom

B

badcat

Conversation with a hospital Dr when I was first diagnosed as an inpatient in hospital
Dr - right, you're diabetic, I'll arrange for you to get insulin but you'll have to be careful or you'll end up the size of a house
Me - so why are the nurses saying I might be ok on tablets or diet?
Dr - that's ridiculous, tablets will never work in someone as young as you, you're not even 30 yet
Me - actually I'm nearly 40
Dr - are you sure?
Me - Yes, check my notes
Dr - oh yes, you're right. We' ll try you on tablets and I'll see you again in a couple of weeks

Never saw hide nor hair of her again - my faith in Drs is now at best conditional!

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Conversation with a hospital Dr when I was first diagnosed as an inpatient in hospital
Dr - right, you're diabetic, I'll arrange for you to get insulin but you'll have to be careful or you'll end up the size of a house
Dr - that's ridiculous, tablets will never work in someone as young as you, you're not even 30 yet
Dr - are you sure?
Me - Yes, check my notes
Dr - oh yes, you're right. We' ll try you on tablets and I'll see you again in a couple of weeks

Never saw hide nor hair of her again - my faith in Drs is now at best conditional!
If this were not so frightening, it would be funny!

Reactions: 2 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Dr - are you sure?
Me - Yes, check my notes

We mustn't ignore our doctors as people keep saying, you must be under 30! congrats