District Nurse recommends Low GI diet for Diabetes

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Disregard for authority. Noise.
Today I met my Mom's District Nurse as she showed me how to administer the insulin to my mom from now on, every day.
She asked me to try and oversee her diet and to my surprise she suggested a Low GI diet...
I thought that was good. Maybe our local Health Services are up to date with the treatment of Diabetes.

Very pleased :)

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
That is, if a low GI diet is basically low carb ...

Also the Nurse said that they consider the safe zone to be between 4 and 6 mmol

:writer:

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Low GI tends to use brown as apposed to white stuff, brown rice, wholemeal pasta, whole grain bread. It's a start I suppose.

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Low GI tends to use brown as apposed to white stuff, brown rice, wholemeal pasta, whole grain bread. It's a start I suppose.
Ah! thanks... so improvements still need to be made in that area.
Fortunately Mom eats anything put in front of her, so shouldn't be too difficult.
:rolleyes:

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Ah! thanks... so improvements still need to be made in that area.
Fortunately Mom eats anything put in front of her, so shouldn't be too difficult.
:rolleyes:

Why?
A lot of us are on a low GI diet.
I have no problems at all with it, and have a good bmi, and "normal" bs.

So long as I eat food that doesn't cause me any spikes, or raises my bs, I don't avoid just because it's a "carb"

Eat to your meter.

I'm type 2 not on insulin though, is your mum type 1 or 2, and what type of insulin is she on, and others can advise in more detail.

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Why?
A lot of us are on a low GI diet.
I have no problems at all with it, and have a good bmi, and "normal" bs.

So long as I eat food that doesn't cause me any spikes, or raises my bs, I don't avoid just because it's a "carb"

Eat to your meter.

I'm type 2 not on insulin though, is your mum type 1 or 2, and what type of insulin is she on, and others can advise in more detail.
OOohhh I see.. thanks a lot... I was under a misapprehension.
She is Type 2, insulin Lantus.

Bob67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: 3 people

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The glycemic index value of an item of food provides an indication of how quickly, relative to consuming pure glucose, an equal amount of the food will cause blood glucose to rise. It is therefore a useful way of selecting between different foods particularly between different carbohydrate sources.

What it does not tell you is how many carbs the food contains.

Maintaining good glycemic control involve both the right kind and the right amount of carbs

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I use the GI index and also the GL (glycemic load) to work out a sensible portion of any particular carb I eat. If it's not a low GI food I don't necessarily avoid it, I just have a much smaller amount of grams to reduce the GL and make sure I eat it with some "no carb" food, which reduces the GL even further.

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
Nice to hear the nurse recommended lower BG levels.
Low GI, although better than the "eat plenty of carbs" **** usually advised, is not really Low Carb.....Possibly just better carb, if there is such a thing!! but diet is always a highly contentious issue on here, as I'm sure you know ;). I tried low GI a few years ago and found it totally confusing. However if you're going down that route with your Mum, it will be interesting to see what her BGs do.
Ps, think it's already been mentioned but maybe you'd get a better response if you posted this on the Low Cal forum.
Good luck :)
Geri

Reactions: 4 people

Bob67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you got the mods job, fine.
If not, feel free to butt out anytime.

I'm not sure why you're becoming hostile Douggy. I'm suggesting that stories of your low-fat, low-GI, low-cal diet are more suitable for other forums. I 'm quite sure that you'll find an audience there too. This continues to be the low-carb forum, at least on my screen it is.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
To the op.

If you do feel forced to re post it, put up a new thread in the diabetes discussion, or the type 1 or type 2 forums.
Anyone in the same position as your mum will see it on there and will advise.

C

catherinecherub

Cool story bro, especially for the low carb forum. You can tell your story in either of these two forums;

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/low-calorie-diets.24/
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/weight-loss-and-dieting.27/

Discussing your diet is more applicable to the above forums.

I think it is safe to discuss the merits of G.I. here as one of the biggest proponents of a LC/HF diet assured me that I am in fact a low carber.;) and I didn't even have to ask him.

Reactions: 2 people

Bob67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think it is safe to discuss the merits of G.I. here as one of the biggest proponents of a LC/HF diet assured me that I am in fact a low carber.;) and I didn't even have to ask him.

And that was one of the nicer things said about you too, but this isn't about you:pompous:

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Really?
Not about low GI then?

So another thread descends into your personal vendetta.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Today I met my Mom's District Nurse as she showed me how to administer the insulin to my mom from now on, every day.
She asked me to try and oversee her diet and to my surprise she suggested a Low GI diet...
I thought that was good. Maybe our local Health Services are up to date with the treatment of Diabetes.
Very pleased :)

That's great news, sounds like your Mum has a good district nurse there DiamondAsh :)

JustDomUK

Oh good grief. I'm gonna say it. Stop getting personal. Stop sniping each other's comments. I don't want to read anti low carb or anti Douglas comments anymore. Finished. Done.

C

catherinecherub

And that was one of the nicer things said about you too, but this isn't about you:pompous:

We are obviously talking about different people. The one I am referring to is not banned from here.

Shall we get back to the topic?

Low G.I. does mean lowering the carbs to an amount that suits a good blood sugar reading. I doubt anyone could follow a low G.I. diet if they continued to eat the RDA of carbohydrates. Individuals have different tolerances to the amount of carbohydrates that they can eat so to follow this plan you have to be able to test frequently which is nigh impossible for any diabetic regardless of how they like to describe their diet if they do not have a meter and test strips.

As your relative is on insulin then I would think she has access to strips?