Hand washing

Ann Rose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Mushrooms, beets, violence and mean people.
The diabetes education course i'm taking encouraged the use of hand sanitizer gel, but I hate the feel of it so I would rather have a few wrapped alcohol wipes in my testing bag if I can't get soap and water. (The course instructor did say that doctor's offices are required to use alcohol wipes/ isopropyl alcohol in some form before testing a patient's bgl, so I'm on board for the alcohol wipes as it is quick and efficient for me.) I've been testing the first drop of blood, so maybe my at-home numbers are wrong?

jules65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is kind of a hi-jack of a thread as I have nothing to offer, other than I have the accucheck wipes for when I can't wash my hands when I'm out(available in Boots), but my first love was called pat jenkins... aaah nostalgia :)

WilliamIrvine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who think they are the only one's in the world that have any problems, animal abuse of any type
ABSOLUTELY NO to alcohol gels or anything similar.

I realize what your saying about being out etc but alcohol gels contain chemicals etc that will affect your readings. If your not able to use a tap and sink I would simply use water from your water bottle if you have one or even take a small bottle with water in it to wash your blood testing area.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: 2 people

jobo

I've done my own tests on this and any alcohol gel/wipes are out by a good 2 points. I use fragrance free baby wipes if I can't wash my hands. I do use alcohol wipes though to wipe my skin before injecting just to make sure I'm 'clinically' clean, I also wipe over the top of my vial before drawing out insulin

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App