Slimming World

pms543

Hi folks

I am type 2 on 2 x 500g of Metformin a day

My daughter wants me to join her at the above diet club and the diet looks doable altho I do have my reservations.

I need to lose weight and do try to eat mostly low carb , plus I have Coeliac disease so that's another problem ( for me )

Has anyone successfully followed their way of dieting or got any helpful tips / advice?

Thanks

H

Hooked

I'm T1, but found Slimming World very easy to stick to when I was at it. If you wish to eat low carb you'll probably find the "Red Days" the easiest to follow. Ask the person running the SW meeting to explain those to you and that you are diabetic.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
My wife did Slimming World a few years back and there was guy with type 2 diabetes on the course who lost 5 stone, I can't say what foods he ate whilst losing the weight but the course leader did say to my wife that they adapt the SW diet for those with diabetes, perhaps having a chat with course leader first would be a good idea.

pms543

Thanks both....

The leader gave me a booklet on Diabetes and SW and its basic but fine...as I want to low carb as well, it seems adaptable and wow!! 5 stone! great inspiration....

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
pms543 said:
Thanks both....

The leader gave me a booklet on Diabetes and SW and its basic but fine...as I want to low carb as well, it seems adaptable and wow!! 5 stone! great inspiration....

Give it go, good luck :thumbup:

Reactions: 2 people

shayanjameel

Wow I love this topic Since my friend rosan losing weight she has reignited her childhood passions for horse riding and dancing, had the confidence to leave an unhappy relationship, and trained to become a midwife. She says she feels like a new person...!

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
pms543 said:
Thanks both....

Let us know how it goes! This thread could be helpful for people in future who have the same question :thumbup:

googlegoss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Slimming world red days are good for diabetics as it does limit the amount of carbs you can eat in a day

Reactions: 3 people

cath99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
im in the same club type to and wanting to join slimming world , but resevations on the leader as i have asked her could i not have carbs spuds/bread/pasta etc in the plan . her reply has been u will have to join to discuss it ? my first thoughts was she doesnt know or its about registration fee puts me of alot really . still confused but need to shed alot weight hope u have alot of sucess xxx

Pepsi Max

What kind of low carb snacks & meals does it suggest for diabetics? I low carb but am finding my snacking is starting to escalate especially chocolate consumption...I'd love some suggestions. Thx

Diabetic warrior since 2005!

cath99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
make your own low carb sweeties and sugerfree lots lovley recipies to have a go at i make mini bountys and jelly sweets suger free keeps the choclate temptation at bay x

NotSoSweet2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rudeness, tv soaps.
Does anyone binge? I find I start off ok and eat a really healthy balanced low carb but every 2 or 3 weeks or so I fall off the wagon and start eating chocolate (not good) I feel like I need to re-programme my brain as it has took a life time of bad eating habits that will take a bit of time to adjust to. Any suggestions or useful insight?

Pepsi Max

I have to admit I do! It's disgraceful the stuff I can consume! I know it's not right! I make healthy meals but if something is open that I can pick at or snack on well then it's game over!!! I need my head checked!

NotSoSweet2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rudeness, tv soaps.
I have to admit I do! It's disgraceful the stuff I can consume! I know it's not right! I make healthy meals but if something is open that I can pick at or snack on well then it's game over!!! I need my head checked!

Yes I was the same. I got a shock today when I went for my check up, to my horror I have put on weight since my last visit and now need to go on Metformin 3 times a day and also worried about the side effects that I have heard about when taking these tablets as I have a sensitive stomach at the best of times. Anyway this is a life changing experience and a wake up call for me. Wish you the best of luck in overcoming, you can do it!

SparkJack

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi folks

My daughter wants me to join her at the above diet club and the diet looks doable altho I do have my reservations.

I need to lose weight and do try to eat mostly low carb , plus I have Coeliac disease so that's another problem ( for me )

Has anyone successfully followed their way of dieting or got any helpful tips / advice?

Thanks
Hi
See my post. I lost 3 stone with Slimming World. I used to Low Carb. I no longer do so. I follow the SW way of eating and enjoy ALL things in moderation. I will follow this for life now. I never feel hungry or deprived and can enjoy social eating and drinking.

SparkJack

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi folks

Thanks
I would recommend SW to anyone. It is not a diet. It is a way of life. Filling one third of a plate with lots of veg, eating fruit, potatoes, pasta, rice, etc nothing is banned. There is a fantastic support on the website. Don;t worry about low carbing. My diabetic nurse told me if you are doing SW and losing weight your numbers will go down and they did.

Reactions: 4 people

alysonm

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Exercise, school holidays, sarcasm, bad tempered people.
Does anyone binge? I find I start off ok and eat a really healthy balanced low carb but every 2 or 3 weeks or so I fall off the wagon and start eating chocolate (not good) I feel like I need to re-programme my brain as it has took a life time of bad eating habits that will take a bit of time to adjust to. Any suggestions or useful insight?

Yes I binge. I cant help it. I have been given a hypnosis CD box set of Paul McKenna, and I have been dusting it for a year. I might open it soon.

Reactions: 5 people

NotSoSweet2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rudeness, tv soaps.
That reminds me I have an old cd of Tony Robbins somewhere about will power and self hypnosis and walking on a bed of nails hahaha, all that mind over matters stuff. So when you finished with your's you might like this one.
Yes I binge. I cant help it. I have been given a hypnosis CD box set of Paul McKenna, and I have been dusting it for a year. I might open it soon.

patjenkins1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did slimming world years ago before diagnosed. I couldn't handle the green days and didn't know why but it all makes sense now. I lost a lot just doing red days but when I was diagnosed they went mad saying it was as bad as the Atkins diet they took me off it. I have never had much success losing weight since and reading everything on here I am now considering going low carb again

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App