How many Lancets?

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was newly diagnosed T2 in November and bought several books at that time. One of the books "What on Earth Can I Eat?" by Alan Shanley proved to be a good read and that advocated the test, test, and test again practice. I believe he also has a blog, but I haven't looked at that yet.

There was something he mentioned which intrigued me and I wanted to ask about it, especially as there is a lot mentioned in the forums about testing strips, but not lancets. Alan Shanley wrote that he doesn't use a new lancet for every test, in fact he uses the same one until it gets so blunt it hurts!!

So... I was wondering ... How many lancets do you use?

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I use the same lancet for a couple o weeks. Docs advise changing it every time but just lazy :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
I am rather naughty on this, i only change lancets once every couple of weeks :(

Cath16

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't use a new lancet each test. I probably change them every few days because it does start to hurt a bit more. I use that as my key to change.

Cath

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
When they simply start to hurt a bit-then I change it.
I stopped ordering them on prescription fairly early on as I was getting 100 of them a month on prescription-way more than I'd need.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I try and change the lancet each time but it definitely gets changed each morning, never use to mind and I'd use the same one for weeks.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I change mine every few days. I gather the infection risk is very low and like the others, I can't be bothered to use a new one every time

JustDomUK

I change mine every test simply because I saw a poster in the waiting room at the hospital on what happens to the needle after it's used once. Makes me flinch thinking about it lol

julifriend

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I change mine daily. Given they cost around £10 for 200 then the cost of lancets is pretty small compared to the cost of test strips so I see no real need to economise further.

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
Maybe once a week, when it starts to hurt. Have been testing for about twelve years and never had an infection.

mrs gimli

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Racists or hatred. Disrespect for people.
Ive been changing mine each time :wacky:

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I change mine after every test as that has always been the advice I have been given by the hospital.

The only exception is if I'm testing twice in quick succession such as after a hypo, I usually just keep the same one on.

Lenya21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes, I'll learn to live with it. I'll never love it.
I will try to change more often after reading this.

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Maybe once a week, when it starts to hurt. Have been testing for about twelve years and never had an infection.
Honestly BB why wait till it hurts. We have more than enough hurts just having diabetes do we not .

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App