Prediabetes how can predibetes be prevented from devolpment to diabete2

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Many people who are not diabetic but who will develop type 2 diabetes, do so because of what they eat and because of a lack of activity. Diabetes itself is diagnosed purely on the basis of blood sugar levels, though the disease is much more complicated than that. Prediabetics have a clear signal, a warning, that the insulin that they are producing is not coping adequately with the type of carbohydrates that they are eating. You won't know why. It could be one of the genetic types of diabetes, or a failing pancreas due to a separate illness but mostly, it is due to some insulin producing islets getting blocked, a slow insulin response to raised blood suagr levels, an increase in insulin resistance or a combination of these factors. Increasing your activity will help with muscle insulin resistance, watching what you eat, avoiding all highly processed or refined carbohydrates will control what glucose is added to your blood and losing weight will help somewhat to unblocking fat deposits in your liver and pancreas.

Take it as a warning and don't wait for it to get worse. There are many on this forum who would have loved to get a warning but who jumped from knowing that they might get diabetes to actually being diagnosed with it. They nearly all feel like kicking themselves. You can most likely avoid that.

Reactions: 7 people

collectingrocks

Good post Yorksman. If it wasn't for me going for a random blood test (my choice), I may never have know until it was too late. As Yorksman says, take control NOW before progression. Sugar is the T2 diabetic's evil and you will need to take a long hard look at your diet. Sugar is in practically everything these days...

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Disregard for authority. Noise.
I heeded early warnings... so I am now controlling my BG levels in order to stave off prediabetes ... Thank goodness the nurse at the GP practice took my sugar levels and told me it was high... I'm now monitoring to see what foods affect my levels etc. Who'd have thought that sugar levels were so very important to our wellbeing.

:inpain:

Reactions: 2 people

Joe Sweatthang

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not Paragliding
Take control now. Don't count on GPs to schedule your ongoing BG tests if you're just glucose intolerant. Mine didn't. Gave me no advice and left me on my own for 4 years. All I got was a "watch your diet, loose some weight, and exercise"....nothing more said, no monitoring, until now that I have type2.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Disregard for authority. Noise.
Take control now. Don't count on GPs to schedule your ongoing BG tests if you're just glucose intolerant. Mine didn't. Gave me no advice and left me on my own for 4 years. All I got was a "watch your diet, loose some weight, and exercise"....nothing more said, no monitoring, until now that I have type2.

Ooooh that is terrible neglectful , really, isn't it? I;m overkeen but want to monitor early to keep tabs on things.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other

Mine said lose weight for years. Exercise came up as well.
I wasn't pre diabetic, just fat and lazy.
I ignored it.
No early warnings, in fact all the symptoms without high bs to start, then diagnosed when the bs finally crept up.
It took type 2 to make me have a major lifestyle change.
I don't honestly know what else the doctor could do?

Joe Sweatthang

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not Paragliding
I was first told I was glucose intolerant . That was it. Doesn't sound so bad does it. If I knew then what I know now , I would have taken more care. My problem was that I didn't think I was very much overweight. I didn't have a sweat tooth, I didn't eat junk food. What ? Me unhealthy ? Hey ho.. What's done is done. I've bought myself a new rowing machine and do 60+ kilometres a week. Monitor what I eat and BG levels all the time. Hopeful that I'll get back to just being glucose intolerant. At least I'm getting fit.

Reactions: 2 people
A

AnnieC

how can predibetes from devolpment to diabete2
No definate time I have had a glucose intolerance for over 8 years and been prediabetic for nearly 4 years...levels in two consecutive blood test each year in the high 6's but pre warned is pre armed so I adjusted my diet... I have been low fat for years so stuck with that but cut out the high starchy foods like rice pasta bread and root vegetables except celariac and of course the sugar I am 74 no other medical problems and I have never had a weight problem My exercise is walking my little dog every day

Last edited:

JustDomUK

Good post Yorksman. If it wasn't for me going for a random blood test (my choice), I may never have know until it was too late. As Yorksman says, take control NOW before progression. Sugar is the T2 diabetic's evil and you will need to take a long hard look at your diet. Sugar is in practically everything these days...

As an aside I was shocked to find that it's horrifically true. I wanted some cooked chicken drumsticks without any coating or sauce. I picked up the plain chicken pack at Sainsburys and my wife said to me "I don't like their chicken it is sweet for some reason". I checked the bottom of the pack and the second ingredient (chicken being the first) was brown sugar :O
What on earth is the food industry doing?!

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
As an aside I was shocked to find that it's horrifically true. I wanted some cooked chicken drumsticks without any coating or sauce. I picked up the plain chicken pack at Sainsburys and my wife said to me "I don't like their chicken it is sweet for some reason". I checked the bottom of the pack and the second ingredient (chicken being the first) was brown sugar :O
What on earth is the food industry doing?!

A ban on added sugar is the best thing they could ever do.