Oranges

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Prob silly question my daughters on the pump and keeps wanting to bolus for oranges without a meal will this give a massieve spike then make her hypo-being thats its fast sugar or shud i give it her and not bolus as will be out of her system in bout hour .up to now i wont let her have one without a meal

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

iHs

Difficult to give the correct advice tbh as you've only just started pumping. Unless you have a go at giving the bolus for the orange, you wont know whether you've done right or wrong.

iHs

If the orange is being eaten 2hrs after a meal bolus then some of the meal bolus will still be active so might be safer to give 50% of the bolus instead of 100% but it all also depends on what the bg ranges are from one meal to another

Reactions: 2 people

JustDomUK

It will also depend on your daughters response to Orange. I'm on a pump and they don't spike me. I do tend to eat them before exercise though. Is she active?

JustDomUK

Children crave sweet things as they are growing. They need the energy to grow hence why their tastes change. Fruit is a healthy way to give them that. If your child is very active then I see no harm in the fruit on its own. Have you settings on the pump for when she exercises? Eg reduction of basal an hour before? I usually apply the same reduction percentage to a bolus if eating fruit then exercising.