Type 1 Manageing Hyper Without Insulin

Nottslad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good afternoon all...

I was just wondering how would be best to manage a high blood level without insulin.
I only ask as currently at work and my insulin cracked this morning on train and leaked in my laptop bag :(

Finding it hard to stand and walk at the moment!!!! :'(

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
get to your nearist hosp/GP/pharmacy with the broken insulin. You should really have a spare at work

Nottslad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
easier said then done with work at the moment!
And I know I should have a spare at work but again, not really a place I can keep at work to be fair

Lucyturner

All I can suggest is to drink as much sugar free drinks as you can, this usually helps me, and if possible ask someone to go with you for a bit of a walk the exercise will help to bring your sugars down even if it's just going round the office a few times you don't have to rush just do as much as you can add cardio exercise reduces blood sugar levels.

Lucy

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Your health should always come first - get to a hospital - most likely you'll have ketones, you really don't want to end up with dka.

Reactions: 2 people

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
easier said then done with work at the moment!
And I know I should have a spare at work but again, not really a place I can keep at work to be fair

This is exceptional circumstance. If your work will not allow you then that's illegal. You have a serious medical condition and require a new vial of insulin pronto.

Fluid will help to some extent. But it really depends on how high you are

Blogging at drivendiabetic.wordpress.com

iHs

If I was you, try and find a pharmacy not too far away from work and tell them the problem. They may want to phone yr normal pharmacy to verify things but should be able to dispense a cartridge or vial of insulin and get the other pharmacy to sort out the nhs cost

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If I was you, try and find a pharmacy not too far away from work and tell them the problem. They may want to phone yr normal pharmacy to verify things but should be able to dispense a cartridge or vial of insulin and get the other pharmacy to sort out the nhs cost

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

That's what I would do too. Show them the broken vial and explain your t1. I highly doubt they'll refuse you one vial to get through the day

Blogging at drivendiabetic.wordpress.com

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Exercise may not work to reduce your blood glucose level if you have no or low insulin in your system to take the glucose to your cells.

Get urgent medical help in a situation like this to avoid DKA..

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you exercisin with high bloods it can cause DKA - DONT DO IT!

as i said first time hosp/GP/pharmacy

Reactions: 4 people

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
what are your bloods?

Nottslad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you all for your replies...
I didn't do any exercise as as mentioned anything above 13 or 14 for me and my sugars go up more...
they were 26.8 but gone down to 13 now so more manageable thank you.

Just flushed it all out with plenty of ice cold water and gentle movement at my desk

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
Glad its gone down, can you keep a pen/vial in your desk in case it happens again:)