Ignorant people, diabetes!

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Disregard for authority. Noise.
Your manager sounds like a real dunderhead. You need your insulin and should be allowed time (break or not) to inject. Otherwise you could faint into the food or something equally as upsetting to the manager. How would he like that? He needs educating... I would take him to one side and explain that he's really not getting the situation, and give him the why's and wherefore's. Appeal to him as the intelligent creature that he's supposed to be. If he still doesn't listen , he's proved he's a dunderhead (in everyday parlance, knobhead).
Stick to your guns, the law is on your side.
My goodness, he's already made you ill with ketoacidosis

Reactions: 2 people

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yeah, I've told him about previous hypos that I've had too, where i have had a seizure, but that doesn't seem to matter to him.
There ya go... he's a knobhead!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This looks like it's all very messy.

There are a number of things you have to consider. You do have to ensure your concerns are recorded at the correct level, at work. These interchanges between yourself and the new head chef may be “forgotten” by at least one of you, if things unpleasant. In many circumstances, where a grievance is brought, the approach can be, “if it isn't written down, it didn't happen”. Harsh, but so very easy to achieve on your part. So, you do need to raise your concerns officially, and you really need to do this in writing. It may not be a legal requirement, but it is the professional approach and could save frustration at a point in the future.

But, in the meantime, I would suggest you try to think about how you can minimise the impact of your breaks on the workings of the kitchen. I don't know what you actually do, or what any impact might be of you not doing those things for a period. For instance, if you cook eggs at breakfast time, who would cook them if you're having a break? Probably a bad example, but if the answer is customers wouldn't get eggs, then that's going to get tricky. It would not be considered reasonable to expect your employer to suspend the sale of egg based dishes while you have something to eat yourself. Now, that's probably a very bad example, but hopefully you will see what I mean. So, a reasonable approach could be that you can only have breaks within certain time slots, which might not be your preferred times, but your employer is there primarily to make a profit. Impinging on his ability to make a profit is not going to end well.

Thinking longer term, I think you have to consider the impact of this whole process on you and the head chef, who could have some changes enforced upon him, quite publicly. Will that relationship settle into a healthy and mutually respectful working relationship? I have no idea. I am absolutely not suggesting you walk away from your job. As you so rightly say that would have a number of knock-on impacts. However, I would suggest you seriously look for something else where these issues would not be such a hurdle. That way you are in control.

Good luck with it all, and let us know how you get on.

nuttybeaver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Selfish people
I would suggest contacting ACAS they'll be able to give you good independent advice. Plus they'll also advise you whether to take legal advice or not. The advice is free, you can find the number on google.

Good luck hope you get it sorted. Keep us informed.

T2, Metformin 850 Mg (1 tablet twice daily), venlafaxine 75mg (1 tablet daily), buscopan 10mg (2 tablets 4 times daily)

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
l have a website that may help as l also kicked back over bullying boss just google
lifeafteradultbullying

(life after adult bullying)

and if you can get representation your lawyer will be rubbing his hands.

simon.davies2

I have been through this myself , I am in the same same trade , download the human rights act from Diabetes UK site and show your bosses that you are being discriminated against . If you get no joy , take it further . Good luck

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
Even without the diabetes it is against the law having to work that long without a break, go see citizens advice and im sure you would be able to complain

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Even without the diabetes it is against the law having to work that long without a break, go see citizens advice and im sure you would be able to complain
True.. and it's no excuse the boss saying to you, in reply, 'I haven't had a break either.' (He will if you break his nose for him)
If he says that again, immediately implore him to have his break with you right there and then for fear he'll exert himself too much and add, gleefully, that he's not a spring chicken any more ... haha

brandooon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
True.. and it's no excuse the boss saying to you, in reply, 'I haven't had a break either.' (He will if you break his nose for him)
If he says that again, immediately implore him to have his break with you right there and then for fear he'll exert himself too much and add, gleefully, that he's not a spring chicken any more ... haha

It's funny that you say that, because the whole time he's been there, no matter who i say i need a break too, the reply is always i haven't had one, even the manager says that. What kind of manager says to a diabetic "well I've not had a break" it's ridiculous xD

scarper

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
know-it-all's
I've not read the whole of this thread. Just to say that your health comes first! I am fairly sure your GP would, on request, provide a short statement on headed paper to the effect that you should be allowed short breaks in order to monitor/treat your condition. I would expect your GP to also state your diagnosis and type/frequency of meds.

You are only asking for a little consideration and a very short period of time 'away from the coalface'.

With very best wishes and bon appetit.

:hungry::hungry::hungry:

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
It's funny that you say that, because the whole time he's been there, no matter who i say i need a break too, the reply is always i haven't had one, even the manager says that. What kind of manager says to a diabetic "well I've not had a break" it's ridiculous xD
You mentioned it in your first post ... It's appalling. It shows a very bombastic attitude on their part.
Please address the situation, won't ;you, with all the good advice posted here. Your precious health is so very important.
I can't believe your boss, he's terribly hard on you expecting you to endure against those odds.
He might become Diabetic one day and I bet he'd been a proper baby about it.