Tattoos

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just Dont get one on your feet or legs, i got one on my upper arm, healed faster than my healthy friend that got one at the same time

June79

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As someone who is Type 1 and has Tattoos and is a practicing Tattoo artist i would just like to give you a few points from both sides....
As a diabetic your role in this should be to make sure your blood sugars are stable, high bloods sugars increase the risk of extended healing times and risk of infection. I find that as time goes on i take longer to heal.

LISTEN to Tattooist when they tell you the after care.

If your going for a big piece do it in stages (not so relevant in smaller pieces), lining first then let that heal, then go back and get shading done and let that heal, then if your going colour get that done then let that heal. It prolongs the process but it makes for a safer experience. Remember your creating an open wound and trauma to the skin so you need to be patient.....

Make sure your tattoo artist knows your diabetic and disclose this information on the disclaimers provided.

HAVE SOMETHING TO EAT BEFORE GOING TO GET YOUR TATTOO

When you go to get your work done take your testing equipment and test regularly also take hypo treatment incase your sugar level drops.

IF YOU NEED A BREAK ASK FOR ONE being a hero benefits no one !!

Your Tattoo artists role in this should be to respect all of the above and help make your experience in their chair as stress free and as comfortable as possible (all things considering)

Hope this helps Marra
happy tattoo :)

Reactions: 2 people

Reggie64

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who think they know a lot about Diabetes and actually don't.
Awesome advise June79, I am having mine done at the end of March.

To do with Diabetes and will be proud to show it off so those around me - and beyond - let them all know that I am Type 1.

:)

June79

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That sounds great Reggie64. Would love too see it when you get it done.

Happy Tattoo days :)

Tigger2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Curry
Makes me want another lol love those tats. my trouble is i'm T2 so if I get one with that on what happens if I end up with T1 lol should I get "T1/T2 delete as applicable" lol

Cheers

Tigger

Reactions: 3 people

Reggie64

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who think they know a lot about Diabetes and actually don't.
June79 - I will be more than happy to put a photo on here.

Tigger2014 - a bit of a dilemma.

You could always have a diabetes tattoo done and leave off T1 or T2 until you are certain.

Obvious answer - I know - sorry.

:facepalm:

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
Itconor, I have tattoo's on both of my feet and one leads up onto my right leg and I had no problems, with it what so ever, the same for my star design on my left no problems.

Draven619

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have over twenty tattoo's now and been diabetic for 24 years. Most healed fine however when i had my forearms tattooed ( years apart) they became infected. My forearm would swell up but it was strange in that if i pressed down on the swelling the dent i left would stay there, like putty. This only lasted a day or so and cleared up though without antibiotics. I took care of these tattoo's the same as all my others so no idea why it happened. I guess everyone is different.
me 3.jpg

Tigger2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Curry
I posted a picture of a Tattoo I liked and was thinking about getting on Facebook and I was suprised and a little upset about a reply from a friend of mine and just wondered if she was right or missunderstanding the reason to get one. Find below what she said

. Just don't see the need in relation to type 2. Life threatening hypo coma episodes, need for insulin injections, type 1 I can fully understand the need for ensuring people are aware in case the person passes out/falls ill, but can't quite see the need for the type 2. At the end of the day 6 million are diagnosed as diabetic, 90% of which are type 2 so it's hardly a rare disease in the type 2 form. That's all I'm saying. But each to their own

lizbet9

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I posted a picture of a Tattoo I liked and was thinking about getting on Facebook and I was suprised and a little upset about a reply from a friend of mine and just wondered if she was right or missunderstanding the reason to get one. Find below what she said

. Just don't see the need in relation to type 2. Life threatening hypo coma episodes, need for insulin injections, type 1 I can fully understand the need for ensuring people are aware in case the person passes out/falls ill, but can't quite see the need for the type 2. At the end of the day 6 million are diagnosed as diabetic, 90% of which are type 2 so it's hardly a rare disease in the type 2 form. That's all I'm saying. But each to their own

Your friend needs to study type 2, not all type 2 are diet controlled!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Tigger that is very frightening what your friend said. Ok I never helped me getting type 2 because I never knew that both sides has type 2 all through the family. I could have slowed things down a bit. But I was going to suffer with diabetes no matter what as In some cases it is hereditary.

Sent from my iPad

Tigger2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Curry
We all deal with things in a different way. My friends partner was my best man and ex army so has a "I got it it deal with it! attitude I just thought it was a way to make public awareness more. 100's of bikers are killed on our roads but we still campaign about it why not this?

Cheers

Tigger

Reactions: 3 people