vonbon1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being sick 24/7
wooohoooo

Hya, 4 weeks after diagnosed T2. I'm 12lbs down, I've lost every week which is a novel thing for me. :lol:
Almost had a blip on saturday evening, old fella out with "the boys" sitting watching the most boring television, wondering what I was going to do to relieve the boredom. I decided I was going to have a sneaky round the kitchen :shock:
I headed for the kitchen and stopped at the door, Sat at my pc and stayed there untill the dog sprang off the sofa all excited because her dad was home. YAY me lol

vonbon1

diane cordell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
hi there my name is diane, Since i ahve been on metformin i have lost two stone. I have type 2 diabetes and i eat three meals a
day.

mrs love

Wow
I have tried everything on the list Sue but cant loose the weight and now my ex diabetic consultant ( long story) is saying a) i eat far too much ( er 1200 cals aday hunny) b) i eat far to much sugary sweets ( my last HbA1c has dropped dramatically, so thats a no!), he also said i eat far to many take aways, even though i cant afford them!
i have seen a dietician and she scrutinises my diet every month i see her, as I write eveything down i eat, and she cant understand why i dont loose it. I try to be as active as i can but have OA in my knees so its hard sometimes ( im only 38 and have the body that needs putting down hehehe)
I have a chid sized plate for dinner and a small bowl for brekkie!#
Im at a loss as to how i can loose their weight. I did try WW and slimming world but put weight on!
HELP!!

Michaelswan

Higher levels of insulin in turn can cause weight gain and increased risk of heart disease. To lose weight, you need to exercise at least for 30 mins and eat five or six smaller healthy meals rather than three larger ones. This will help you from overeating and also from huge spike in your blood sugar levels.
You can also avail weight loss products for losing weight. For that you can choose [removed] weight loss products. For more info please visit [commercial link removed]
Thanks

sugarless sue said:
As in all things health related discuss your course of action with your doctor/nurse/ dietician before embarking on a diet. You may have other health conditions that have to be taken into account.

Losing weight for diabetics has to be thought of in terms of controlling your blood sugars as well as reducing your food intake.

Many of the ‘ready- made’ diets such as Weight Watchers, South Beach etc may look good in terms of losing weight but they often have high carb levels in their meals even though they say they are suitable for diabetics.

Carbohydrates are what affects blood sugar levels and, in diabetes we have an inability to process the carbs properly because of some sort of damage to the pancreas be it total beta cell destruction as in Type 1’s or insulin resistance/deficiency in Type 2’s.

With those with insulin resistance there is too much insulin in the body because the pancreas produces more and more insulin to try and cope with the ingested carbs turning into glucose.

Carbs = glucose= insulin= fat.

If you eat too many carbs this will convert to glucose. This then requires insulin to try and lower the levels of glucose in your blood, either naturally produced or injected insulin. An excess of insulin in your blood stream then gets converted to fat. If you can break this cycle by firstly reducing the carb intake to lower levels you will then find that you can reduce the quantity of insulin that you need, this in turn will lower your blood sugar levels and also have the beneficial effect of reducing/stopping any fat production.

This is a simplification of the complex metabolic process going on inside each and every one of us.

For each and every one of us however the processing of these carbs will be different. Some can tolerate certain types of carbs with regards to blood sugar control and some can’t. It is only by keeping a food diary and a record of your blood sugar levels before and after a meal that we can gradually learn to work with our food so that the food helps us not hurts us.

Some small tips.

1.Portion control. You may think that your portions are ‘healthy', for a week weigh everything out so that you get to know visually what a 30gm portion is (or whatever portion you are aiming at). Every month or so do this again as our eyes sometimes deceive us !!

2.Use a smaller sized plate. The plate looks full so you feel full as well.

3.Prepare as much of your food as possible yourself using fresh products that are as natural as possible. For instance fresh meat has little to no carbs whereas processed meat may have a lot of carbs.

4.Read the packets ! Look at the TOTAL carb content of the product this includes the sugars and gives you the proper carb value. Do not just look at sugars as this is misleading when you are diabetic.

5.Don’t beat yourself up if the weight loss stalls, it happens, keep to the diet and it will probably start again. Try increasing exercise if you are able, this increases metabolism and gets weight loss going again.

6.Don’t beat yourself up if you fall off the wagon now and again. We are all human and all do it now and again. You are changing your lifestyle. It takes time.

I used this method and lost three stone. This is just my experience.

carna1957

Hi all,I really feel for all diabetics that are trying to loose weight but I am the odd ball that has trouble keeping the weight I'v got.I have never been overweight in my life and since I got diabetes I have struggled to keep my weight on.

I have a good appetite and I lost 2 stone very rapidly when I first had diabetes,although I have managed to put on a stone in weight since I was diagnosed 2 1/2 years ago and I have had my thyroids checked I still can't put on any weight.

You are probably all screaming at me "what has she got to moan about" but it is just as worrying when you can't keep your weight at a reasonable level.

I am 56 years old 5ft 5in tall and weigh 9 stone and wear size 10 clothes and find it very hard to find clothes to suit my age as most size 10 clothing are aimed at teens.

The problem I have is do I eat more to put on weight and risk my bloods soaring or do I keep my blood levels down and put up with the problems of not getting the clothes I would like to wear.

I have always said the only way to loose weight is to eat less at any meal times and not doing all these so called diets out there,after all our bodies need a good balanced diet and some diets don't give you that.

I wish you all luck with your weight loss .

Reactions: 2 people

allenhrogers

sallyjoseph said:
weight loss is good and healthy. A slow regular internal weight loss using nutritional change and exercise is associated with beneficial effects on the heart, blood pressure, and cholesterol level. In addition, weight loss can reduce insulin resistance and make muscles and fat tissues more sensitive to circulating insulin levels in the blood which is good.

Indeed, it seems when when we deal or treat diabetes, we are likely doing or losing weight also as being overweight and obese is one reason why we can be a diabetic person.

DR MICHAIL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi
I am diabetic type 2 on insulin .overweight . I found that Victosa helped me to lose 10kg when added to my diabetic treatment. It is an anti diabetic injection given to patients before they are switched to insulin but they found it helps also to reduce weight. Ask your GP about it. Also it helped 3 members in my family to lose weight. Also cut down on bread helps a lot. Once your blood suger becomes under control you tends to become less hungary and eat less too

Reactions: Megnala

375lindyloo

When people say 'eat good fat' what exactly is classed as good fat? I am low carbing or attempting to but doc says my cholesterol is remaining high at 6.5 and wants to prescribe a statin. I have a slightly fatty liver and my liver function levels have been erratic over the last couple of years (I was previously on Simvastatin). I don't want a statin again as I am convinced that they have caused a problem with my liver. Any advice or other people's experiences of something similar happening to them gratefully received.

grunt59

Great tips, Sue ! I have been following these methods for nearly three months now and have lost nearly 1.5 stones . It's basically common sense and eating properly . I was once told that a normal stomach (organ) is about the same size as your (loosely) clenched fist....I've never forgotten that and use it as a guide often...even though mine host sometimes thinks I am threatening them for dishing up too much food !! Of course, everyone has to tailor the plan a little ,to their own requirements, but as Billy Connolly once said, " you just need to follow the ELMM diet.....Eat Less Move More !!! Regards, and good luck to everyone trying to hit their targets !!

Jane Holmes

I am type 2 having been diagnosed in 2007. Started off on metformin 5oomg twice a day now increased to 1000mg twice a day. Glimepirida 2mg twice a day. Atrovastatin 10mg and Ramapril 25mg once a day. My diet is quite good and I am not overweight. Can someone tell me how I get rid of a bloated stomach. I dont eat many carbs and have lots of fruit and vegs. Thanks

ridalsjo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey, I read with interest what you have to say about carbs and I know that a lot of carbs isnt good for me.I currently, for the last 9 konths, have been attending Slimmin World. I have lost 2 stone. I try very hard. I am constantly over took by others. Eating carbs is highly recommended within moderation of course but I believe this olds me backm along with having PCOS!! I am having a rethink on how to approach this. Obviously I cant cut the carbs out totally but restrict them is an option. Hmmmmm I am going to mark this day down and note my weigh loss from here on in! Will let you know how I get on , and thanks guys :)

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders - especially the big black ones!
I weighed 226lbs in April 2010 and went on a calorie controlled diet but without any regard to the carbs intake. I lost app. 30lb that year up to the Xmas when I took a short break resuming again in the middle of Jan 2011. Unfortunately my weight stalled and even though I put my cals down from 1200 per day to 1000 and then again to 800 per day for a few weeks I could not get it to shift.. I might lose a pound or two one week and then it would go back on again.
At the beginning of this year I decided to embark on a low carb diet which I did with great apprehension as I do love my bread. I am delighted to say that I have lost about another 14lbs and am now at 186lbs.. slow 'tis true but never-the-less it's moving!
I now find that my Db is at a very good level and in fact the nurse was delighted with my last test report... YAY!
At 79 I am still persevering with my diet and hope to get to my goal 0f 154lbs which tbh at only 4'11" is still quite overweight but then I have never ever been less than 140lbs even as a teenager.

Reactions: 2 people

Dennisparker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Weight loss and diabetes are corners of sea. If weight is loss then diseases are going to be away for sure.

Manishshah

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Overly high blood sugar levels can also cause rapid weight loss, say 10 to 20 pounds over two or three months—but this is not a healthy weight loss.

Because the insulin hormone isn't getting glucose into the cells, where it can be used as energy, the body thinks it's starving and starts breaking down protein from the muscles as an alternate source of fuel.

The kidneys are also working overtime to eliminate the excess sugar, and this leads to a loss of calories (and can harm the kidneys). "These are processes that require a lot of energy," Dr. Collazo-Clavell notes. "You create a calorie deficit."

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
When people say 'eat good fat' what exactly is classed as good fat? I am low carbing or attempting to but doc says my cholesterol is remaining high at 6.5 and wants to prescribe a statin. I have a slightly fatty liver and my liver function levels have been erratic over the last couple of years (I was previously on Simvastatin). I don't want a statin again as I am convinced that they have caused a problem with my liver. Any advice or other people's experiences of something similar happening to them gratefully received.

Good fats that don't cause inflammation (with to much omega-6), choose from butter ideally from grass-fed cows, virgin olive oil, virgin coconut oil, organic rapeseed oil, avocado oil. Avoid margarine, sunflower, safflower, soybean and cottonseed oil.

Clarakor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I really need help. I am type 1 since October and managed to lose a lot of weight. I exercise 8 times a week and have cut my portions right down and lost six stone. I was hospitalised due to ketones last week and have put on 20 pounds in one week!!! I am devastated. I am healthy and active. How can I lose this weight? I have been big all my life and now I'm a size 12 but have noticed my new clothes feeling tight. I don't know how to lose this weight and ensure I don't put any more on. Any advice would be welcome. I am so upset... :'-(

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Hameedah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Boredom
Hi, am new here I was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome (pcos) since I was 16 and I have Type 2 diabetes and I weigh 103kg am 23 years old now , lossing weight has been my problem , it kills me emotionally , am 23 bt I look 35 coz of my weight. Am scared . I need help . Thanks

Clarakor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Are you on metformin for your pcos??? That should help with your weight. I have pcos too and I've found that eating practically no carbs and sugar works! Xx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App