Daughter thinks she could be diabetic. 'Normal' blood levels, what are they?

Susie1965

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, been lurking here for a while now, picking up more decent info than I ever got from my diabetes consultant (who I detest), anyhoo back to my question: Non diabetic blood sugar levels-what should they be?

My daughter is convinced she's diabetic as she had a blood sugar level of 6.2, personally I would be chuffed to bits with that but according to her medical student house mate that is 'way too high!' Apparently he got a kit from the chemists and that's what the paperwork in the box says.

I thought anything under 8 was fine but looking on the 'inter-web' it seems anything over 6 is considered pre-diabetic. What the hell is that all about? As teenagers we got my friends bg to 16 and she's still not diabetic 30 years later.

I'm totally confused now and really want to be able to re-assure my hypochondriac baby she's not a diabetic, but can I?

HELP!!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You are right. 6.2 is fine as a 2 hour after meals random check. Yes, under 8 is the target to look for. I wonder if her medical student house mate is getting confused with an HBa1C blood test result. An HBa1c of 6.2% is starting to need attention but not bad.

Reactions: 4 people

keri

6.2 is perfect in my nurses book! If she was diabetic her bloods would be up in the late 20s, 30s and 40s that's what mine was like! So she is fine and should be pleased with that result! Her friend is most probably think about a Hba1c x

Reactions: 3 people

Susie1965

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks guys, that's what I thought. Realized there's a forum for prediabetes, probably should have looked there first. Been lurking in the wrong spots :)

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dear Susie1965,
It would be worth your while looking through this site for the levels that are advised for both 'FASTING' as wel as Normal. Pre-Diabetic and Diabetic levels as they are all different and as a consequence can often lead to some miss-understanding.

That said, from your posting it would seem that you have a better idea and understanding of how to interperet the levels that your daughters, medical student house mate.

Reactions: 2 people