Statins

pipwizard

Hi all I was first put on asprin but it started to cause me a lot of probs with my very slight asthma I had palpatations head aches well just bout everything lol, then I've been put on statins thing is I was fine for bout three weeks then the palpatations started again not server or bad but just annoying and very worrying . I'm thinking I don't need them my cholesterol is 5.5 and bloods ok between 6and7 but weight is high and battling with it I have already lost a lot but realy need to loose a lot more but do I realy need the cholesterol tabs I mean I don want a stroke etc but don't want to keep stressing out about my palpatations . Just too say I get them every day don't hurt and go as quick as they come I do have to go back to see the doc in few weeks etc but just wondering if anyone else having a similar problem please help xxxxxx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'm not a type 2 nor do I take statins Pip but you should try and get in sooner with your gp and mention the palpitations, it might well be they'll change the statin or tell you to stop them altogether, either way you should discuss this with them and decide which is the best option.

pipwizard

Thing is I've mentioned the palp said while back he just took me off the asprin then put me on statins to be honest I don't think I need them that's the reason I'm having the palpatations I eat ok realy very low fat food as I don't have a gall bladder so having too much fat makes me sick but I do have a appointment in few weeks see what she says as this doc isn't the diabectic one she's testing for my liver and rheumatoid arthritis so let's hope she listens . Just wish they gave you time

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you don't need statins don't take them. Hubby was put on statins some years ago after a TIA, not because he had high cholesterol. He developed leg pains and stopped walking if he could avoid it. Last year I asked his Dr if he could discontinue the statins, low dose and very low cholesterol and he said yes. Now we can walk for hours.

Have you tried magnesium? I find that works wonders with my palps, as do hrt patches. Not sure if the latter applies to everyone though.

pipwizard

Lol I've been through the menopause when I was 20 but the palms only come when I have a bad reaction to things so think I'm taking myself of for a few week to see how it goes also my cholesterol is only 5.5 don't think that's toooooo high would like it lower not too sure what to do but will look into the magnesium thanks Hun

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dont think the men would be able to get those on prescription:woot: What magnesium do you take I tried a supplement but it gave me stomach ache I would like to ask for another blood test for mag because the last one came back just under normal but the GP said she wasnt worried I have high serum calcium and I think taking mag may help
CAROL

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thing is I've mentioned the palp said while back he just took me off the asprin then put me on statins to be honest I don't think I need them that's the reason I'm having the palpatations I eat ok realy very low fat food as I don't have a gall bladder so having too much fat makes me sick but I do have a appointment in few weeks see what she says as this doc isn't the diabectic one she's testing for my liver and rheumatoid arthritis so let's hope she listens . Just wish they gave you time

To determine if it is the statins that are causing the palpitations you could try stopping them and see if they disappear, whatever you do your best bet is to discuss your options first with your gp as they are in the best position to advise.

C

catherinecherub

Hi all I was first put on asprin but it started to cause me a lot of probs with my very slight asthma I had palpatations head aches well just bout everything lol, then I've been put on statins thing is I was fine for bout three weeks then the palpatations started again not server or bad but just annoying and very worrying . I'm thinking I don't need them my cholesterol is 5.5 and bloods ok between 6and7 but weight is high and battling with it I have already lost a lot but realy need to loose a lot more but do I realy need the cholesterol tabs I mean I don want a stroke etc but don't want to keep stressing out about my palpatations . Just too say I get them every day don't hurt and go as quick as they come I do have to go back to see the doc in few weeks etc but just wondering if anyone else having a similar problem please help xxxxxx

Hi,

There is a chart in this article showing the numbers of people affected by heart palpitations whilst taking statins. I think it is self reported.

http://www.ehealthme.com/ds/simvastatin/heart+palpitations

For anyone experiencing muscle pain there is a test that Drs can order, a blood test to measure your Creatine Kinase,(CK) . If it is raised above recommended levels then statins should be stopped. Regular exercise can raise CK so tell your Dr. if you exercise regularly. CK is released into your blood when muscles are inflamed or damaged.

Soxx

I refused to take statins any more after suffering chronic leg pains. Husband was also on statins after having a heart attack but he took them for more than a year because his doctor told him to. He got so he couldn't walk because of the leg pains and decided to stop taking them. Within a week or two he was a changed man and could walk about and do his garden again.
I did read somewhere that if you take statins for 20 years it might lengthen your life by about 2 weeks so 20 years putting up with statin side effects and you might gain an extra two weeks!!!! Is it worth it? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator: