traveling abroad

craighancok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hi i am a type 1 diabetic and going on my first holiday abroad in april .will i need a letter for my medications im currently using an insulin pump thxs.

Marfmama

Do you mean to get through security or for treatment whilst out there? No one batted an eyelid at my medication going through security (even to america and they are really scary ha) if you are going to europe make sure you have that health card..sorry forgotten what its called but its basically a card you can get that means you can get free treatment over there, if America make sure you get insurance!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Hi there
I have a list of my medication produced my my GP, signed and stamped. Also better to take a copy of your prescription. You may get away with not having it. However depending on the agent at security you may not, which will leave you without access to your prescribed insulin.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I take a letter from doc but I've never had to show it. Airport security don't even question it. I guess they see it all the time.

Reactions: 2 people

Nottslad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm the same, I always get a letter signed by my GP.
However as previously stated, they never seem to check or even ask me about it...
Could be a good way to smuggle stuff through ;) JOKIN! :p

craighancok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hi thanks everybody for replies its just for airport security but by the sounds of it there not that bothered thxs.
i will get a letter from my gp tho thxs.

niknak15

I have a letter stating that I will be carrying needles and such, but not once have I ever been stopped or questioned, there more concerned about my mascara than diabetic equipment.

Reactions: 2 people

kkkk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am soooo lazy when I was a child I used to carry a letter which I lost and you know I have never ever had to show it to anyone, I have had my bags searched and have explained that I have a blood test kit - they are happy with it all - and that is going to the States as well as in Europe. Make sure your insulin and test kit goes in your hand luggage (insulin won't survive in the hold as they don't guarantee the temperature…plus you want to have it with you) - I take all my supplies in my hand luggage as I know that is less likely to go missing, and you don't want to arrive with only 5 pen needles or something like that 'cos they've lost your case. I do have an insulin passport thing (no idea what it is for) but the Dr gave it to me. I think in general they are all quite used to have diabetics go through and they know what our stuff looks like!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have a "pump pass" from my hospital. I have been stopped at security once in vietnam, but after a supervisor checked my papers I was cleared to go. And it was mainly goes I was carryinga glucose shot, which has a long as needle. But papers are always a good idea :) Have a good trip.

Pattidevans

I do know of someone travelling with a pump who had a lot of bother with security. I have just returned from the Canary Isles and have 2 further holidays with flights booked later in the year. I typed my own letter stating I was T1 on a pump and concluded with a list of my meds. I then asked my DSN to sign it and stamp it with their official stamp.

Take with you double the amount of cannulas/set changes you think you might need + pens in case the pump malfunctions. Also as already mentioned, don't trust insulin to the hold. I also take a spare meter. My meter is the handset for my pump, but if it malfunctions I do have the Expert meter and can bolus manually.

jodysd6

I never remove my pump through security, I believe (and I travel quite a bit but don't necessarily quote me) you are fine to wear it through metal detectors but not through body scanners, so on the times when I have been asked to go in the scanner I have just said I have a pump and they have done a pat down and swabbed my hands instead. I used to carry a letter but I admit I haven't for years now but probably better to be safe than sorry, but I always carry insulin with the prescription label on.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been asked fro my letter once or twice, but generally not an issue. I'd carry one just in case though.

Theweavers

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just been diagnosed myself, so prepping up for my holidays... Where do u get the spare pens? Does the clinic supply them or do u have to purchase them?

KarenG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm another that carries a letter, and I've only been asked to produce it twice in many years and many flights - however, I have been asked so I'd always advise having one.

Spare pens came from the GP.