Confused by GP over reversal

Disneyfan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hi Shelley

I think I've had a similar experience to you. Diagnosed at 16 stone in April 2012. Lost a considerable amount of weight (about 5.5 stone) and in Feb 2013 Dr took me off metformin. Hba1c had been 36 (5.4%) in Oct 2012 and 3 months after no medication I was at 31 (5.1% I think). Last July I had a few 'funny turns' checked my blood and was around 1.5 so went to see the doctor. She told me I'd reversed the diabetes and I wasn't eating enough - referred me to the dietician. And I think I heard the message I could eat more carbs!! Last October it was 36 again (5.4%) so I'd started to slip but not bad ... but then I ate some Christmas cake, and some birthday cake, and the odd pudding once in a while, and like you I've started to experience some similar symptoms ... and I know my clothes are a bit tighter ... so I'm back on the low carb diet and hoping by the time I get an hba1c in april I'll be heading back on track - it is just so hard sometimes!! Good luck x

trotskyite

hi Shelley

I think I've had a similar experience to you. Diagnosed at 16 stone in April 2012. Lost a considerable amount of weight (about 5.5 stone) and in Feb 2013 Dr took me off metformin. Hba1c had been 36 (5.4%) in Oct 2012 and 3 months after no medication I was at 31 (5.1% I think). Last July I had a few 'funny turns' checked my blood and was around 1.5 so went to see the doctor. She told me I'd reversed the diabetes and I wasn't eating enough - referred me to the dietician. And I think I heard the message I could eat more carbs!! Last October it was 36 again (5.4%) so I'd started to slip but not bad ... but then I ate some Christmas cake, and some birthday cake, and the odd pudding once in a while, and like you I've started to experience some similar symptoms ... and I know my clothes are a bit tighter ... so I'm back on the low carb diet and hoping by the time I get an hba1c in april I'll be heading back on track - it is just so hard sometimes!! Good luck x

Well done that is a fantastic loss very inspiring.
Remember you have a genetic susceptibility for high blood glucose when your liver and pancreas fat get to a certain level. I lost 20kg from an original BMI of 31 and failed an OGTT. However when I finally got to 25kg loss I passed an OGTT (75g of glucose) with 4.8 after 2hrs. I now watch that 5kg like a hawk and go back on a diet if I ever put on 2.5kg as I know what fat mass I can live with and have normal blood glucose. Of course I have confused the gp and practice nurse as they clearly stated I would never pass an OGTT as I am a diabetic but they will have to update their knowledge another day as I am now under an endocrinologist who actually knows what he is talking about.
Best of luck

Reactions: 4 people

trotskyite

You are all right. I do know what to do to eat healthily. I just needed to hear that you are never cured of Diabetes. I was daft to think it was gone but I misunderstood my GP. Oh well, onwards and upwards :)
I think of it like this. Diabetes is a name given to the symptoms people experience of high blood glucose. Many people have the genes for type 2 yet never experience high blood glucose because they live healthy lives. If you know you have a susceptibility to high blood glucose there are a number of things you can do to make sure you never experience high levels. If you do one of these things for life you will be one of the few and will not suffer any negatives from your diagnosis. Best of luck

Disneyfan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Trotskyite, that makes a lot of sense to me ... I did get to the point I thought I was invincible ... went to florida last Easter and ate cake and pudding (it was my birthday!) and tested and the readings were fine, but I think the weight creeping back is the key - so I'm back on the straight and narrow and hopefully can shift that half a stone or so (I don't have any scales so I'm not sure how much!) and get back to the treat myself once in a while phase - I managed it for almost 12 months so I can do it again. My problem I think is maintaining weight - I actually didn't want to lose anymore, but nor did I want to put any on ... we shall wait and see!

Reactions: 2 people

trotskyite

Reactions: 2 people