Trying to lose weight carbs 100 or less

bigsteve1967

Hi I been diabetic since November 13 high b/c of 30/40 been on tablets since increasing every 4 weeks. since started on tablets been on weight watches cutting out sugars, bread, diet drinks. I have brought my carbs down too 50 now started at 100 . My b/c now averaging between 6.5 to 9.0. But the problem is My weight 141kg. my weight as dropped just 1kg .need advice plz help

Madbazoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you have a smartphone try using 'myfitnesspal' app to track your food intake. It measures your cals, carbs, protein etc. and lets you set your own goals. It has an extensive library of foods so you can look up their details.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Myfitnesspal is a brilliant app I use this to help with my weight loss!

There is also 'carbs and cals' it comes as a book and as an app. It's got pictures of different meals and snacks in different portion sizes and tells you how many carbohydrates and calories are in them.
This book has helped me immensely with working out my carbs.
Best of luck!

Indiana x

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. That's disappointing as you appear to have done the right thing. I would have expected a much bigger weight drop. I assume you are correctly counting all of the carbs you eat by looking at the packaging labels etc? Perhaps you could let us have a typical daily meal pattern to see if we can spot anything. I can only suggest you keep at it and watch overall portion sizes which I suspect you are anyway. Are you taking Gliclazide as well as Metformin?

debbieg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi!
I was diagnosed (type 2)in August 2012. Since then I have lost over 12 stone. My HbA1c is 5.00.
I suppose my greatest incentive is fear.
What did I do? Looked at all the diabetic books, noted the 'worst' carbs, then went HEALTHY!!!!!
I only vaguely calculate calories and carbs. Don't obsess over them.
I never eat ANY cakes, sweets, chocolate, desserts etc......it's not worth it!
The best cookery books I have are by Dale Pinnock (the medicinal chef) on Amazon.
Healthy for the rest of your life is the only way to go!!
Good luck!!

Frodo27

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Steve, Think of it this way, you need to consume 3500 calories per week less than your basal to lose half a kg or burn it in exercise.Do both and you get 1kg a week, in fact at 141kg a bit more. Basal varies with age, height and weight but say at age 45 and 180cm then your basal is around 2600calories a day. So if you keep to 2100 calories a day diet and do 500 calories exercise you will lose 1kg a week. Just walk for 90 minutes each morning for exercise burn. If you dont have time then do 45 mins and only consume 1850 calories a day.
Use an aid like 'myfitnesspal' religiously, and no alcohol. Your diabetes problem is simply 'insulin resistance', metformin can help but you simply have to lose weight to combat this or you are likely to complications very early, not only from diabetes but all the other conditions that gross obesity causes.
I was 128kg and am on my way down to a target of below 90kg. I'm 61 and would like to see my grandchildren for a few more years.

Last edited by a moderator:

mrs gimli

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Racists or hatred. Disrespect for people.
Debbieg your will power is brill... Hi have you thought of perhaps writting all doen you eat and seeing if anythings amiss x

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I have been eating low carb for 2 yrs now with the odd day slip. Never lost any weight, I'm not massively overweight, but its where the fat is - gut.
It's frustrating, I even went on Dana Carpenders fat fast. You are meant to lose weight on that too - guess what - didn't. You will just have to plough on.

bigsteve1967

Thank you all for the advice I've started to use mynetdiary.
I weight all my food now and try and keep my carbs under 100.
I'm down to eating 1500 calories.
I'm eating only one piece of fruit a day I will let you know on Thursday if I've lost any weight.
My blood count is down to under 6 now from starting at 30 plus in November.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you still don't lose weight get your thyroid checked. I have the same problem as you: I lose weight really slowly too. My son and I once had a bad bout of flu, we didn't eat anything for 5 days and then only 200-400 calories for the next 6 days. He was not overweight to start with and I was very fat. He lost 11 1/2 pounds and I lost 1/2 pound! Diet wise I think you are doing all the right things as dawnmc says..'just plough on' Try not to get discouraged when others lose weight more easily than you. Compare yourself with how you were before and congratulate yourself when you do manage to lose a kilo. You may lose weight more easily now that your blood glucose level is much lower.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people