Mood swings

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, diabetes!
All I want to do is get back on an even keel to be honest and get our lives sorted out

This is how it should've looked!

Well you've taken the first step, and it's often said the first step is the hardest. Small steps = small victories. And don't forget there's always people here willing to listen and help

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Chri55y

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Physically not being able to do sports and exercise because of the pain. Being overweight. Not being able to stick to a diet.
All I want to do is get back on an even keel to be honest and get our lives sortedout

Sent from my iPad
Hi crimsonclient,
I've just read you story. I was diagnosed or should I say diagnosed my self (but that's another story) with gestational diabetes during my second pregnancy 19 years ago. I started with pain in the back, which I then realised was my kidneys and thought I'd got a kidney infection. But this is digressing into the other story!
I was then OK for 8 years, then I developed type 2 which we treated with diet. I was doing great on it, I'd lost 2 stone and levels were normal for about 3 years. I was leading a very busy life, 2 young children, a business and a house to run, school governor, running a children's dance troupe, junior football teams and setting up a girls section in a rugby club. The stress of it all, plus the diabetes (but at the time I didn't know depression can be a side effect of Diabetes) brought on quite severe depression. I struggled on for 12 months trying to keep all the balls in the air, but inevitably they all came crashing down. By now my diet had flown through the window. Went to see my Dr and she put me on anti-depressants over the next 12 months we tried several different sorts but nothing was really helping. My BG levels had gone up and I was put on Metformin and then additionally pioglitazone and simvastatin. Fortunately around this time my Dr heard of a medical trial for depression suffers and suggested I go on it as I would get to see a consultant psychologist as part of the trial. If the Dr had tried to book me an appointment with the psychologist herself, it was a 2 year waiting list. I took part in the trial and was seen by the psychologist on my first appointment, she prescribed me a different sort of anti-depressant, something my Dr wasn't allowed to do. These seemed to work much better, but the main side effect of most anti-depressants is an increase in appetite! My weight started to go back up as did my BG levels, but because of the depression I still couldn't get my head around following a good diet. Don't get me wrong we've always had a good varied diet with pleanty of fresh fruit and veg, I've always bought sugar free or reduced sugar and used brown and wholegrain versions of products where possible. I seemed to be in a vicious circle the more my BG levels went up, the more depressed I got, the more depressed I got, the more I ate! I was on this medicine regime for about 2.5 years with rising BG levels and weight and some very dark days. About 18 months into this phase I got my Dr to refer me to The Project Group, a community arts group for people in touch with mental health services. This place has been my saviour as far as my mental heath goes. The Dr's then decided to try me on Byetta the non insulin injections as they were supposed to suppress my appetite resulting in reduced weight and BG levels and yes I did lose weight in the first 3 weeks, but that was because it made me so sick and I was only on half a dose! I was so ill I couldn't do anything for those three weeks. After 8 months on the Byetta and no improvement in either weight or BG levels I was put on insulin. I have been off anti-depressants for 12 months now, but I don't think I would be here to tell this story if it wasn't for them but the main thing that got me through it was The Project Group. See if you can find some type of group in your area, we are quite a unique group in our ethos MY BG levels are still not good I can't seem to find out why they fluctuate so much, last night at 5.40am I had a hypo with a BG reading of 2.7 I ate a bowl of Special K and a banana 7 hours later my reading was 14.3! I hadn't eaten anything in between. I can be so good and have a good health low GI meal and reading will be good yet the next time I eat the same thing my levels can go sky high. The only way I can get my levels anywhere near normal is by not eating and we all know what happen then!! I'm getting so fed up with it all I just feel like saying sod it to all medication

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi crimsonclient,
I've just read you story. I was diagnosed or should I say diagnosed my self (but that's another story) with gestational diabetes during my second pregnancy 19 years ago. I started with pain in the back, which I then realised was my kidneys and thought I'd got a kidney infection. But this is digressing into the other story!
I was then OK for 8 years, then I developed type 2 which we treated with diet. I was doing great on it, I'd lost 2 stone and levels were normal for about 3 years. I was leading a very busy life, 2 young children, a business and a house to run, school governor, running a children's dance troupe, junior football teams and setting up a girls section in a rugby club. The stress of it all, plus the diabetes (but at the time I didn't know depression can be a side effect of Diabetes) brought on quite severe depression. I struggled on for 12 months trying to keep all the balls in the air, but inevitably they all came crashing down. By now my diet had flown through the window. Went to see my Dr and she put me on anti-depressants over the next 12 months we tried several different sorts but nothing was really helping. My BG levels had gone up and I was put on Metformin and then additionally pioglitazone and simvastatin. Fortunately around this time my Dr heard of a medical trial for depression suffers and suggested I go on it as I would get to see a consultant psychologist as part of the trial. If the Dr had tried to book me an appointment with the psychologist herself, it was a 2 year waiting list. I took part in the trial and was seen by the psychologist on my first appointment, she prescribed me a different sort of anti-depressant, something my Dr wasn't allowed to do. These seemed to work much better, but the main side effect of most anti-depressants is an increase in appetite! My weight started to go back up as did my BG levels, but because of the depression I still couldn't get my head around following a good diet. Don't get me wrong we've always had a good varied diet with pleanty of fresh fruit and veg, I've always bought sugar free or reduced sugar and used brown and wholegrain versions of products where possible. I seemed to be in a vicious circle the more my BG levels went up, the more depressed I got, the more depressed I got, the more I ate! I was on this medicine regime for about 2.5 years with rising BG levels and weight and some very dark days. About 18 months into this phase I got my Dr to refer me to The Project Group, a community arts group for people in touch with mental health services. This place has been my saviour as far as my mental heath goes. The Dr's then decided to try me on Byetta the non insulin injections as they were supposed to suppress my appetite resulting in reduced weight and BG levels and yes I did lose weight in the first 3 weeks, but that was because it made me so sick and I was only on half a dose! I was so ill I couldn't do anything for those three weeks. After 8 months on the Byetta and no improvement in either weight or BG levels I was put on insulin. I have been off anti-depressants for 12 months now, but I don't think I would be here to tell this story if it wasn't for them but the main thing that got me through it was The Project Group. See if you can find some type of group in your area, we are quite a unique group in our ethos MY BG levels are still not good I can't seem to find out why they fluctuate so much, last night at 5.40am I had a hypo with a BG reading of 2.7 I ate a bowl of Special K and a banana 7 hours later my reading was 14.3! I hadn't eaten anything in between. I can be so good and have a good health low GI meal and reading will be good yet the next time I eat the same thing my levels can go sky high. The only way I can get my levels anywhere near normal is by not eating and we all know what happen then!! I'm getting so fed up with it all I just feel like saying sod it to all medication
Thanks Chris at the moment I am in the referral stage and when I get further info I will look in to a group as that seems like a great idea. At the moment it seems that I am facing a brick wall with everything. But I will try and get this sorted out

Sent from my iPad

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Disregard for authority. Noise.
a DIVERSION tactic might help when you feel upset or angry etc. This will divert the bad energy away from your loved ones.
It won'[t be easy because these moods come out of nowhere all of a sudden... but don't give up with it. It is controllable. Say it out loud to those close to you so they know what is going on in your head. No-one, however perfect we think they are, can read minds.

Dogbutler

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi,
Given the stress you've been under I'm not surprised that you're having a hard time with your emotions.
One in four people have mental health problems at some point in their lives, and that doesn't take into account the tricks that having a dodgy hormonal condition can play.
Very often we use anger to cover up sadness or anxiety (attack is the best form of defence right?) without necessarily knowing we're doing it.
Medication works well for some people, talking therapies work for others. Usually the best outcomes result from a combination of the two.
Whatever you do, I hope that you get over this bump in the road and go on to have a happy, healthy future.

Reactions: 2 people

Chri55y

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Physically not being able to do sports and exercise because of the pain. Being overweight. Not being able to stick to a diet.
Hi Crimsonclient,
Just wondering .how you are? Are you feeling any better?

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi at the moment I have been in a very dark place but not lost my temper recently but I have had so much on my plate lately, with my partner in hospital for just over 2 weeks. But I saw the doc on Wednesday and she doesn't want me to go on to tablets yet and still waiting for psych evaluation

Type 2 diagnosed 24/01/2013.
Novomix 30, Victoza, metformin 2000mg sr (but not taking them as they play havoc with my insides,

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Crimsonclient, you have had thyroid test, haven't you? Not only TSH but Ft4 and preferably fT3 tested as well? Thyroid dysfunction can do terrible things to us and our relationships. Just a thought of something to rule out.

I have been depressed several times but what really played havoc with my mood was hypothyroidism. I am surprised I still have friends and family.

I have found that LCHF works very well for controlling bg and generally to keep me on an even keel. You might want to look into LCHF, it might help you.

It is brilliant you get proper care and not just fobbed off with tablets.

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting, I have to have bloods done next week. So I will ask for full blood make up

Novomix 30, Victoza, metformin 2000mg sr (but not taking them as they play havoc with my insides,

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting, I have to have bloods done next week. So I will ask for full blood make up

If you're having blood tests anyway, I suggest you ask them to do Vitamin D3 as well. Being deficient can have a huge impact on mood (and energy levels).

Actaeon70

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Noise, drunk people
Hi Crimsonclient

I'm not surprised about the mood swings. When my glucose levels are really high (as they often are) I immediately find I can go from calm to violently aggressive in the blink of an eye, and back to calm again just as quickly. Even worse, it's usually tiny, insignificant things that trigger it. It's as if someone literally flicks a switch and then flicks it back. (As I also have a schizophrenia diagnosis, this tends to worry people). When my levels are lower, it takes alot to get me that aggressive.

My mental health and my diabetes are entwined like two snakes. My mental health team always ask how my diabetes is, but my diabetes team never even mention my mental health.

Dazza72

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being grumpy
I think the mood swings are one of the scariest symptoms of being diabetic, everyone goes on about blood sugars and diets, exercise and losing weight, but not knowing why I suddenly lose my temper or snap at people, especially those I hold most dear, truly frightens me. I hate myself at times, I used to have the patience of a Saint, my fuse was several miles long, right now I'm not sure I even have a fuse at all, I just go off on one! The main problem, is that's it's my loved ones that get the brunt of it.

My poor Wife has had to put up with me throwing my toys outta the pram on numerous occasions, it's made even harder because she's 5 months pregnant with our second child, so with my temper and her hormones, you can imagine the atmosphere is a little tense at times! I'm lucky she loves me as much as she does, it must be hard putting up with a moody n grumpy sod!

Thank you for sharing your story Crimson, it's reassuring that I'm not the only one having these mood swings. I'm hoping with time and education and monitoring, these mood swings will become more manageable. Good luck Crimson, and best wishes.

Reactions: 8 people

Dogbutler

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
I think the mood swings are one of the scariest symptoms of being diabetic, everyone goes on about blood sugars and diets, exercise and losing weight, but not knowing why I suddenly lose my temper or snap at people, especially those I hold most dear, truly frightens me. I hate myself at times, I used to have the patience of a Saint, my fuse was several miles long, right now I'm not sure I even have a fuse at all, I just go off on one! The main problem, is that's it's my loved ones that get the brunt of it.

My poor Wife has had to put up with me throwing my toys outta the pram on numerous occasions, it's made even harder because she's 5 months pregnant with our second child, so with my temper and her hormones, you can imagine the atmosphere is a little tense at times! I'm lucky she loves me as much as she does, it must be hard putting up with a moody n grumpy sod!

Thank you for sharing your story Crimson, it's reassuring that I'm not the only one having these mood swings. I'm hoping with time and education and monitoring, these mood swings will become more manageable. Good luck Crimson, and best wishes.

Hi Dazza
Sorry to hear you're having a tough time, you are right, the mood swings (not to mention the guilt that comes after) are really difficult to cope with.
I get them from time to time and my poor old hubby usually gets the worst end of it.
It's a horrible admission, but when I'm in one of these moods, I know how awful I'm being, but I can't/won't stop behaving like a total git.
Don't know if this makes it better or worse, but I think we take it out on our loved ones because we know (subconsciously) that they'll forgive us.

Anyway, I hope that things get more manageable, and all the best to you and your growing family.

Dazza72

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being grumpy
I'm guessing by the end of your post, your name is Ness, didn't really feel comfy saying Dog! lol

So dear Ness, thank you so much for your beautiful reply, thank you for making me blub like a liddle girl lol, it's ok, I can blame the tears on my mood swings lol.

It's so hard right now, the strain is really taking it's toll on our relaionship, it's close to breaking point, I'm pretty much an emotional wreck right now, the sooner I finally get to see the diabetic nurse n learn what I need to put this right, the better.

The people I've chatted to so far on here, have been wonderful, and so supportive, it really does help, so thank you all again, for the advice, the help, and for caring about an old emotional lump like me

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys sorry I haven't kept up with this thread, but I think I need to bring everyone up to date with things, I went and had my blood tests done and when I asked to have thyroid and vitamin d as well I was told I couldn't have them tested as it wasn't asked for by my gp. So a waste of time and breath again with gp surgery. Any way I had my appointment with psych and that was a farce in its own right, I get to the appointment, book my self in and I'm just sat there waiting for about 20 mins and the receptionist asked me to see my letter again and I showed if to her and she said that the person wasn't in that day and rang the office, only for the person that I had the appointment with walks out of one of the rooms and calls me. Mystery solved she didn't know I was there waiting, so I follow her in for the appointment and telling her everything she just sat there listening and when I told her everything she said I needed to self refer myself to counciling group, and I asked if I will see her again and was told no unless I get referred to her. By gp. Great so I might as well have saved my energy for something more useful.

NovoRapid, Lantus, Victoza, Metformin (sr), Simvistatin

Dazza72

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being grumpy
**** Crimson, you have all the luck! Seriously though, it's sad to hear the way you've been treated, I've read a few horror stories on here, but to be treated like that is just not right! I really hope you get something sorted out soon.

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That is typical of this gp surgery the care we get as a family is shocking. The dsn at the doctors is awful but thankfully we aren't the only ones our next door neighbour is having the same problems and the pharmacy reassures me that they get at least 10 complaints a day from customers about them. It is really awful but we can't complain as they are vindictive enough to mess around with our medication and things like that

NovoRapid, Lantus, Victoza, Metformin (sr), Simvistatin

Dogbutler

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Hi Crimson,

It's rotten to hear about the dire care you're getting from your local health services.
I sometimes think that the medical profession delight in making the lot of people already struggling as hard as they possibly can.
I'm a qualified mental health nurse, but I stopped practicing and began teaching. This was pretty much due to me feeling ashamed of being part of an organisation that treats people so badly.

Anyway, one thing that hasn't changed is the impact that a formal written complaint has.
If you complain to the hospital trust about the incompetence of the mental health service you experienced, you can bet your boots that something will be done.
As for your gp, if you're afraid of repercussions, couldn't you change doctors? You might find you have a totally different experience at another surgery.

All the best