Testing and injecting at work

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

Sorry if this question was asked already, but I'm curious how people deal with testing BG and injecting insulin during the day - mostly at work. I try to go to the toilet to make my tests and injections (fortunately, toilets at our office are quite clean). I'm not even sure what's the "polite" way of doing this - if I make a test at my desk, is it socially-acceptable? Or would people freak out?

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Hi Paulina, there's no simple answer to this. Some don't care and test/inject openly and good luck to them ! Others are a little more self conscious and like to keep it private. It's what you're comfortable with really. Your employer is obliged to permit you a space to inject/test if required. Are your employers/colleagues aware of your diabetes ? I am not blatant when I need to test or inject but I certainly won't use a toilet either. I can usually do it quickly and discreetly and I don't think people are even aware.

Reactions: 2 people

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, some of them know. People at my work are quite sensible, so I think they won't freak out if I test at my desk (or in the kitchen). Fortunately, I don't have to make injections during the day (for now...), so I don't have that problem.

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
Well, some of them know. People at my work are quite sensible, so I think they won't freak out if I test at my desk (or in the kitchen). Fortunately, I don't have to make injections during the day (for now...), so I don't have that problem.
If they're sensible, just ask them if they mind you doing your stuff at your desk. Tell them you don't mind either way, but you'd rather them tell you if they don't like the idea. Can't hurt to ask :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I've always just did it without drawing too much attention to myself, I wouldn't use toilets as they are dirty places to inject and test and you've nothing to hide away for anyway.

Reactions: 4 people

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
When I was working I used to test at my desk, advising anyone within earshot that I was in case they had either/ both a needle phobia or even a blood phobia.
I would never go to A toilet, other than my own or friends to either test or inject.
At Christmas we had a family gathering, I needed to inject and just advised that I was going to the kitchen, a very large room. The kids all piled in to have a look and the adults said nothing.
It is part of life so we should just try and keep that way.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
I have always done it wherever i am,
noone sees much at all:)

jodysd6

I test and have even done set changes when needed at my desk, though I try to be discreet as one colleague has made a few comments in the past, but I test around 10 times I day, that would be a lot of trips to the loo! My colleague who is also type 1 however doesn't test at work (well in 6 months I have never seen him do so) and I don't think he even brings a meter/insulin to work but goes home at lunchtime. I think it's whatever works for you while still remaining considerate to colleagues.

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your opinions, everyone :) I thought that if everyone says "don't do it", then I wouldn't, but if people do it and it's fine, I'll just ask if anyone minds (I don't think they would!) and go ahead with it.

Thanks!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks for your opinions, everyone :) I thought that if everyone says "don't do it", then I wouldn't, but if people do it and it's fine, I'll just ask if anyone minds (I don't think they would!) and go ahead with it.

That would be the best approach Paulina, let us know how you get on :)

RosieDred

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I test wherever I am in work and nobody minds. I do work in a care home though so everybody is used to testing residents anyway.

I usually go to the toilet to inject though as it feels weird to do it in front of people. I actually injected in the cloakroom/storage room today for the first time. People just don't seem bothered where I work, which is good :)

fkarno

Hi all,

I'm not even sure what's the "polite" way of doing this - if I make a test at my desk, is it socially-acceptable? Or would people freak out?

Polite? Mothers are by law allowed to breast-feed their babies wherever they like, so why should you have to go to a toilet to test or inject? I routinely test and inject in coffeeshops and restaurants, and the only allowance I make is that I inject through my shirt, rather than hoisting my top out of my trousers. As long as you keep the action below the tabletop very few people will notice. No one has so far complained.

madperson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fish-ugh & rudeness
I work in an Early Years unit so I'm surounded by little "darlings" I'm not alone as another member of staff is also T1 as is 1 of the children, but just so I can think straight I usually check my numbers is our changing room, as you can imagine the peace & quiet is a welcome respite some days!! The children ar fasinated by the needles & meters

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
I am interested in knowing how does testing and injecting works.I think that the injection test determines if your card can successfully inject and determine the ping response times to the Access Point. If you have two wireless cards, it can also determine which specific injection tests can be successfully performed..

free job posting websites in india
And you my robotic friend, have picked up the wrong end of the wrong sh*tty stick.:woot::woot:

Dogbutler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I work in education with a team of nurses, had to beat them off with a stick when I started testing. Now I make them take turns.
Downside - work with a bunch of sadistic vampires. Upside - I always know what my bg is!

Nottslad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Im lucky at work.
I feel very comfortable in my office injecting and taking blood test.

Just use it as an excuse to whip the top up slightly! ;)

lizbet9

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I refuse to test in toilets, diabetes is nothing to be ashamed of, I test and inject wherever I am most people don't even realise what you are doing - it can be done discretely x

Beausrus

I would like to know, large work places that have first aiders, does anyone know how you would be treated to fix a hypo/hyper? As in ambulance called but would the first aiders test BS and give insulin/glucose if needed?

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would like to know, large work places that have first aiders, does anyone know how you would be treated to fix a hypo/hyper? As in ambulance called but would the first aiders test BS and give insulin/glucose if needed?

It would be dangerous if the gave insulin and similarly dangerous to give glucose if I was out cold (the only time I would need assistance). They have expressly been told not to do anything other than call 999.

I work for a multinational company with over 50000 employees.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I always gave instructions (written and verbally) to my immediate manager and first aiders had copies in their office how to treat me, whether to call ambulance or hubby etc. My depot had 600+ staff.

Never had a problem. My night shift manager was superb as were my manager colleagues and my staff. I worked in an automated warehouse with huge cranes, conveyor belts and the equivalent of 5 storeys high.

I never had a problem with any of the treatment thatI had being a T1 but therefore I also was responsible enough to ensure that I informed management, first aiders on everything and every aspect.