What's for Dinner Tonight?

Orchid

What are you all having for dinner tonight? Thought this might be a thread to help with some inspirational ideas. If this has been done before, then I apologise, I'm still new! :wink:

Last night we had roast lamb, greens, charente carrents (left whole unpeeled, unchopped, very rustic, but delicious). Kids and hubbie had a couple of little yorkshire puddings.

So... what's on the menu tonight?

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
im having stew, the rest of the family have same as me but they have more potatoes, i have suede,1 small new potato,carrotts,peas,onion,green beans and stewing steak
yummy and hardly touches my bloods :D

chocoholic

Pork loin. I'm just about to throw it in the slow cooker with some tomato based sauce.I haven't decided on the herbs I'll add yet.We'll have cauliflower and cabbage with that. I have some blueberries to use too, so am toying with the idea of using those in a sweet type of omelette. I'm still experimenting with low-carb ideas but I try to have my main meal of the day as a real low-carb meal.
For lunch I have made a sweet potato and red pepper soup and will have one slice of seeded bread with that.
I finally have my readings down to around the 5 mark and am determined to stay there.
To those who miss a bit of cake, I'd like to recommend trying the recipe Fergus has put on the food forum. It's what I used as a base for a birthday cake the other day and my reading stayed around the 5 mark even after tucking into that.
To those who struggle with giving up breakfast cereal......I have to admit I prefer a small portion of cereal....I have settled on Dorset High Fibre Cereal.I used to eat this straight after diagnosis and have now gone back to it. It has no added sugar or salt. It does have fairly high carbs, which I thought would rule it out of my diet...but I was 5 on waking today....and 5 two hours after eating this cereal. I only had 2 units of Novorapid, so I can live with that.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Chicken and leek soup. + Fergus' Bread.
We had chicken on Sunday and this is the left-overs. Stock made from the carcasses yesterday. Meat stripped off. Leeks, cleaned and lightly fried this afernoon. I now have some wheat Gluten, so if I pop ou tto the shop on the corner for yeast, I can have some of Fergus's bread with the soup.

Thirsty

Liver and red wine casserole. It's been bubbling away in the slow cooker since breakfast time and smells wonderful. A cheap and tasty way to use all those vegetables that have been hanging around a little longer than they should.

broads

Chili con carne with brown basmati rice and veg, ot sure which yet. mince was pre boiled, left to get cold and fat taken off. Should I soak rice for a while to remove excess starch?

sami

have you ever tried colly rice you grate a colliflower and the fry it with some egg like you would egg fried rice and its yummy and low carb at the same time no one will no if you add a sauce like curry or cilly to it

Trinkwasser

Chicken over here too, roasted with either purple sprouting or sprouts.

The rest will be stir-fried with coloured peppers and masses of garlic etc. later.

I might even save some for breakfast.

DeeCVee

Hi all, I'm just about to do my weekly Tesco shop online but am going to be trying the low-carb, high fat approach. I've been sitting here racking my brains for ideas on what to cook for the week ahead.

This thread has made it much easier. I'm off to do the shopping now with my low GI book to hand :D

My diabetes doctor thinks that I may have Diabetes LADA. I was only seen yesterday, despite initial diagnosis in November and after my GP told me last week that I definitely have Type 2. So, at present I'm trying to manage by diet alone until I have a confirmed diagnosis.

Cheers all for the inspiration... those meals sound great.

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Tonight it'll be homemade Shepherd's Pie. Lamb mince, onions, celery, garlic, mushrooms, tomato puree, tabasco, soy and Worcester Sauce. Topped with pureed cauliflower cheese. Fab.

All the best,

fergus

gillyh

Dislikes
arrogant drivers/people, ill mannered people, cruelty to people and animals, condescention
tonight it's french beans, sprouts, broccoli, carrots, herb new potatoes and a small steak pie with gravy. I know the pie and gravy are bad but scrummy!!

caitycakes1

King prawn marinated in chilli with lettuce, grated carrot, spring onion, tomatoes. Side serving of marie rose sauce. Then Blueberries smothered with double cream.

caitycakes x

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm having 2 duck breasts. Scored the skin, rubbed in some s&p and the TINIEST amount of flour, then fried skin side down and finished in the oven.

Can't wait.

lilibet

Frittata (minus potatoes)

Eggs, bacon, chives, peppers, mushrooms, grated double gloucester cheese, onions.
Side of spring greens sauteed in garlic and butter
Half slice burgen (to avoid hypos at 10pm :wink: )
4 strawberries, sliced with double cream

Soon to have jack daniels and diet coke and then a home made peanut butter cookie :D

L x

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
Tonight im cooking sweet potato and carrot mash, steamed broccoli and prime top cut steaks :)

tastey tastey!!

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had half a large pack of mixed veg, stir fried (Morrisons £1) with some turkey breast (99p per 100gms, I got 400gms worth) cooked in EVOO and butter, glug of a really good balsamic over it.

Pudding was stewed in a bit of butter scottish rhubarb (expensive but by Ged, it was worth it) and home made custard made with marscapone, double cream and three eggs. All sweetened with splenda.
It ended with a mug of real coffee with cream, and I can hear the rest of that rhubarb and custard calling.........

wiflib