Diabetes and Sunglasses

bunty

I know this sounds mad but i am getting grief from my Mum, bless her - she went to one of her 'ladies meetings' the other week and assures me that one of the guest speakers was an expert on diabetes and told the assembled that diabetics MUST wear wrap-around sunglasses in any bright conditions or they'd risk blindess!

I havent read or heard any such thing but my Mum insists she didnt misunderstand (although i must say i DO think she misunderstood!) and she is now on at me to wear sunnies all the time!

Has anyone else here come across this warning?

bunty

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
No. I don't go to the tropics, but I do play tennis & that often means exposure to the sun. My eyes are OK after 8 years as diabetic. Wearing shades in the sun is sensible, but not in the shade :roll:

This article may cause confusion People with diabetes need more than sunglasses to protect their eyes.

The answer in the article includes:
Keeping your A1C (average monthly blood glucose levels) on target, controlling blood pressure and quitting smoking also can help preserve vision and prevent vision loss.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
I do actually wear reactolite lens but I've had sensitive eyes for years before becoming diabetic!!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I wear dark glasses a lot,even in winter, because I have mild cataracts and bright light "Flares" in my eyes and I can't see. Since diabetics are prone to cataracts, dark glasses help to slow the development I think.
Also Sue
Reactolites are not very useful for driving if you have a fairly modern car, because they react to UV which doesn't penetrate windscreans. that's what the guy at specsavers told me.

sugar2

YES!!!!

Although I don't think that your Mum got the whole story!

I have been advised to wear photochromic lenses (trans istions) to protect my eyes from the sun. The reason is that I have a family history of cataracts, and diabetes make this even more of a problem. I have no idea why alas...but just wanted to speak up for your Mum, as I have been given the same advice.

Hope it wasn't that we all have to look like wannabecelebrities all the :D time

Luckydave

I've been going 3-4 times year to local hospital eye clinic(retinopathy)and never heard that one but I do wear prescription sun glasses and also a dark tinted visor on my crash helmet(still not legal to use a dark tint visor in UK,never been stopped but will use this as a reason if I am)