Been to first clinic

Nuff Said

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Folks

I was newly diagnosed just over a week ago, I have had an appointment called a clinic. She tested my feet and all seems well and told me she would be making an appointment for a retinal scan at the hospital. She made another appointment for another clinic in two weeks.

We did talk about changing my daily diet cutting out sugary foods white bread pasta etc... and start being careful about the amount of carbs being eaten.

I have started to make changes to my eating habits working on the basis that I need to diet and lose weight. I have started to try to think about carbs, changing to wholemeal bread, pasta etc... and only eating this in moderation.

Is there a set level of grams of carbs that is recommended per day ?

I am just trying to figure out how to best keep a check of what I am having each day

Many thanks

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome to the forum you have made a good decision joining the forum

Sent from my iPad

AndyH1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Nuff,

I'm new to all this carb counting. Been T2 for yonks but my condition has progressed of late and I now count my carbs.

I believe Diabetes UK say 300g per day for men and 230g for women. Although I wasn't counting, I reckon even on a bad day I would struggle to get 300g down. So to me it sounds like quite a lot. After the advice I got on here I have gone onto a moderate carb diet, and will reduce carb intake if needed, although at the moment it seems to be working. My care team encourage me to have healthy balanced diet, which is what I did, but I ended up on meds. I wonder if I might still be med free if I'd adopted this diet years ago.....

There are plenty of carb tables on the web and most foods will have their carb content per 100g and per "typical serving". I would advise weighing out your foods to start with, you might be surprised how small a typical serving might look, and I would think that a lot of people eat more carbs than they realise.

I have found that I have had to almost eradicate spuds, rice, pasta and bread from my diet, and yes life is possible without them.

I found the most useful way of monitoring was to create a spreadsheet with separate boxes for all your meals, BG readings and carb count. Structure it well and it is really easy to see how different foods affect you and to see patterns in your levels.

You make no mention of monitoring. You are entitled to access to monitoring and test strips, but a lot of people don't get given them, If they won't give you one, then buy one, it really is the key to getting good control and lets you know if your condition is progressing.

Andy

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
well im a type1 on insulin / my partners a type 2 on victosa and pills , we still eat white bread only a couple of slices per day, we still have takeaways,,noodles and egg fried rice ,currys chinese type only. somehow the currys lower my BGlevels

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are thinking of going down the moderate carbs route, at least to begin with, you need to learn about the Glycemic Index (GI) and Glycemic Load (GL). This will show you which carbs are best to avoid, and which can be eaten in moderation. You can find lots of information about this, including GI tables, on the internet.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
HI. Many of us would say stay below 200gm/day and possibly a lot less if you have a lot of weight to lose or your sugar is quite high. My target is 150gm which isn't difficult

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
HI. Many of us would say stay below 200gm/day and possibly a lot less if you have a lot of weight to lose or your sugar is quite high. My target is 150gm which isn't difficult
Same here and not too difficult to achieve, some days under and some days a little over

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Nuff Said

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for your help.
I have done a few count ups of the type of foods I have on a plan to eat and 150-200g of carbs a day does seem quite achievable.

I do need to lose weight, it was on this years plan once I managed to give up smoking. I have successfully managed to give up,
I put on some more weight doing it but what with the timing of the diagnosis I am quite highly motivated to shift the weight gained and then some. I have already cut all the sweet stuff out and started a diet plan.

I think my next step will be to get a blood sugar meter and learn how to use it. After treatment from cream and meds I am still exhibiting the original symptoms that led to my diagnosis, Phimosis and blurry vision, I am assuming getting the blood sugar down must be a help to getting rid of these.