13 year old teen not taking care of herself, need some advice

HAlyssa

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Insulin
My younger sister was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when she was 6 and was seriously ill with it when she first got diagnosed. She can't really remember how ill she was but it was touch and go at one point. She was controlling her diabetes very well (good blood scores ect.) until she moved up into secondary school. At the end of year 7, we noticed she had lost weight, we found out she hadn't been eating lunch and if she did then she wouldn't take insulin for it. We spoke to her calmly and asked what we could do to help. So she said about having packed lunch and promised she would start taking her insulin. She carried this through till the end of year seven and was fine, good scores all the way through the summer holiday. Then when she started back in year 8, her health quickly deteriorated and she told us, she couldn't be bothered to check her blood and forgot to do her insulin. At her latest doctor appointment, her Hba1c was over 130 and had to be sent off to the lab to get the actual number. We had 2 doctors, a nurse and her dietitian in the room and they discussed calmly what the best way to do things was. So she was put back on the nova mix in the morning so she wouldn't have to do insulin at school and changed her night insulin.
We spoke to the school and asked if someone could check that she had done her bloods as she was having trouble with it but were told that no one had time to run around after her to ensure she had done it, especially as she is now year 8 and old enough to take responsibility. Her nurse asked to go in and see her, as she normally goes into school every couple of weeks and checks on her and they told her that she was only allowed to visit in the 10 minute break (not enough time to go over everything and they didn't have a problem with her coming in the before) when we complained, we were told that they didn't want her missing the lesson (it was a library lesson, where they sit and read a book!). After the visit with the nurse she starting doing her insulin testing her bloods, doing everything she is suppose to be doing until last week when she has been making up he lunch time readings and missing days out. (She has done this before but stopped quite quickly when we found out). She was already been told by the doctor if her readings stay where they are (constantly above 10 for the last year, quite often she's higher than the meter) that her kidneys will fail within the next year and she already has problems with her feet when they get old but she doesn't care.
Just want some advice on what to do, the nurses and doctors don't really have any advice for us, just to keep an eye on her. We had thought about us doing her insulin but at the end she is we didn't want to take her independence away but it is very serious now.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

HAlyssa

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Insulin
Her doctor has said she's not allowed to go on the pump until her sugar levels are sorted. She been on the waiting list for 4 years.

SandyDee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi HAlyssa, this must be very frightening for your family. I think nobody can tell how your sister feels and all we can do is offer possible advice from our own experiences. I found it very difficult to accept I was diabetic for years after I was diagnosed and did some very stupid things similar to what you've said. Is it possible she feels like that? I know that some hospitals offer counselling for diabetics to help them come to terms with it, maybe that is worth investigating. I think also it's very difficult as a young diabetic to accept what you do now may affect you in the future (which of course seems so far off).
I don't know if that helps in any way, most areas have Young Diabetic groups linked to the hospital which is a way to talk to others going through similar issues and have a bit of fun at the same time.

Reactions: 4 people

HAlyssa

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi SandyDee,
She is on the waiting list to see a counsellor but they said the wait is about a year. :/ I'll see what groups there are, she didn't want to go to them last time we spoke with her about them.
Thank you for your suggestions.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This must be really hard for you and the family......

Being a teenager its likely the pressure of school life, friends and hormones will all be adding to her stresses......

I have went through similar episodes even in my twenties.........just had to ride it out....

Maybe getting her to talk to other similarly aged diabetics on the children's forums might help.....

Dougal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was diagnosed at 13. The time when all you want to be is exactly the same as everyone else, and all Diabetes did for me was set me apart from everyone else! As mentioned by others here, the key to her looking after herself is likely to be acceptance. Accepting that she is different, but also accepting that she has the strength to deal with it and that everyone still loves her.

Please contact her DSN and ask if there is another, similar aged young lady who has been Diabetic for longer who wouldn't mind talking to her. This could show her that she is not alone. I wouldn't mind talking to her, if she wanted to.

Wishing you all all the best. X

Reactions: 2 people