Do Type 2 diabetics have hypos or not?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes it was me that said that as that is what I had read that T2`s BS would never get low enough for a hypo as they do produce some insulin so that would prevent it I take it though that this was T2`s on tablets or diet only not insulin
I can`t remember where I read it but it was some time ago when I was told I was prediabetic and I was looking for information about diabetes and before I joined this forum

In my earlier reply (#15) I said that I was put on Glimipiride. This is not insulin but a pill and don't ask me how it works because I don't know.

My nurse told me that even non diabetics can go hypo under certain circumstances so I have trouble believing that only type 2's are immune.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
It's not the type of diabetic who can have hypo's, it's how it's treated. If you're on insulin or meds that lower BG, you can hypo. Simple. Also, it's not diabetes that causes the hypo, it's the meds/exercise or a combination of.

jinstone

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to eat deserts :)
Hi all,
I noticed someone said yesterday (or maybe the day before) that Type 2 diabetics don't have hypos. I have friends who are Type 2 who say they do. In fact one friend swings a lot and definitely has problems with very low sugars.

The first time I took my blood sugar reading alone, being petrified about pricking myself and very stressed in doing the process, I found myself shaking quite violently when I saw my sugar (for the first time) in a normal range. I got up and found myself still shaking. I concluded, although there were lots of emotions involved, that my sugar had dropped quite drastically from just a couple of days earlier and that this was a hypo.

I had a cuppa and my only sweet biscuit since diagnosis and eventually felt better.

So, is it documented that Type 2 don't have hypos, or not?

What do you Type 2 users think from your own experience?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Definitely a problem. I'm on Gliclazide and when I was on 80mg each morning I would set off for the station, a brisk 20 minute walk and would find that I felt dizzy / unstable after about 15 minutes. Testing I found that at that point my sugar levels were down in the low 4's and on one occassion the high 3's. Doctor cut me back to 40mg tablets and problem went away. As you will have noticed different people react in different ways, some to metformin, some to gliclazide. Work with your medical professional to resolve if you do encounter problems. Regards Jeremy