How many units do you inject per day?

Mimastones

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
hmm very interesting to see how much everyone varies.

i'm T1 on 38 units of Levemir at night and usually between 6 - 12 units of novorapid with food, usually 3 times a day.

bobandpat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
8 units Lantus at night, 20-30 units Novorapid over 3 meals depending on what I eat. Dietician changed my intake a few years back. Was taking lots more lantus/ less novorapid and constantly hypoing. All good now though :)

pkw55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Poor service
I take 58 units of levemir at night and 25 +/ - 3 units of novorapid at meal times
Was quite worried it's too much but BS. 5 - 9 so think it must be o.k.

tomvonc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anyone who asks a question about diabetes without thinking what they're asking.

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Type 1, I take 10 Lantus at 8 am and 6 at 8pm. I average 7-12 units of Novorapid during the day. My ratios are 1:6- breakfast, 1:12 lunch and 1:10 for dinner. X

diziruth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Litter, other things too but to many to mention at the moment.
was on 28 to 30 units of Humalog x 3 pre meals and then on 10 Lantus pre bed.

Prednisalone now been dropped to 5mg from 20 mg per day
Tachrolimus Adoport now dropped to 4 mg from 10mg per day
Srolimus upped to 4mg from 2mg per day.
all steroid type meds due to transplant.

Now taking 12 to 16 units of Humalog x 3 pre meals and still 10 Lantus pre bed because of changes in meds, also counting carbs, try to keep this to 50 or under per meal.

hope this helps as I was confused as well and kept thinking i was taking far to much. :) only became diabetic Nov 2013 because of steroids

OldAndCold

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Insulin
50u levemir at bedtime, 12u nova rapid breakfast, 32u lunch, 32u dinner. These vary depending on carb intake.
Units per day seem high, but they do keepHB1AC in control.

Don,t get a hang-up about the number off units. Keep control as best you can.

jimsid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cars parked on pavements
I am on insuman 15 insulin and I inject 24 units twice daily and also take metformin 1000 twice a day my hgaic is now down to 7:6 cholesterol 4:0
I have been on this insulan since feb 2013. my chemist tells me I am the only one on this insulin and I have to order it early as they have to order it in . I have not seen anyone else on here using it so I assume it is still fairly new I started on 6 units twice a day but had to gradually increase it over the year. I have just been signed off from my diabetes nurse and returned to practice doctor for them to monitor me. I am type 2 and 76 years old and 86 kg

Last edited by a moderator:

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
I'm on 18 units Insuman (Basal) a night and ~1.5 units of Humalog for each meal dependant on how much exercise or how strenuous the exercise was . Before Xmas my weight was under 13 Stone and only needed 10 units of basal. Now back up to a more nominal weight of 14 stone and need more basal.

Geri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stress and feeling exhausted.
7 units Levemir am and pm, and 4-7 (average of 12 units per day) novorapid. I weigh about 60 kg.

gaffer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I seem to take more than most, 70 units of Novo rapid split 20,20,30 with meals and 80 units of Lantus at night.

SandyDee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Does the warmer weather make a big difference? I'm having at least 1 hypo a day since the sun came back but just put it down to stress...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
Yes it can make a big difference - again everybody's different. Almost anything can make a difference - weather, stress, a day off, alcohol and just life in general.:)

Reactions: 2 people