Why am I tired?

Trev 48

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
people who ignore me because of my amputation
Is it me or is anyone else tired all the time, even if I have a lay in I still want more sleep.
I am only 48 but have had a below knee amputation 20 months ago, I take tramadol and pregabalin.
My diabetes is well controlled most of the time, I feel like I waste my weekends because i am too tired to do anything.
Any suggestions?

chunkabutt

I am exactly the same Trev, I am 43 and so tired and unable to drag my ass to do anything, I have asked the Doctor and the diabetic nurse and both just shrug and say, it will come back, but I think that's just a brush off, they don't know either.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
I'm 48 and also exhausted a lot of the time. Could sleep on my feet half the time. GP/DSN shrug it off as well. I'm better since I finished work in Decmeber as I have more time to myself at the moment but the tiredness is still there.

Trev 48

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
That's all I get too.
I was told to do more exercise but I shrugged my shoulders and told them I'm too tired, they didn't find it funny.
Thanks for your reply glad I'm not the only one

chunkabutt

Yeah you have to laugh, exercise lol sometimes I can't even hoover one room with a wooden floor, and just like you said Riri, I also could sleep on my feet, and its worse when I have been off work a few days, when I come back it takes me days to get the energy back to cope with it.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

kerrygrant26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Brown rice, all the negative attention diabetics get from the media
Im exactly the same, absolutely exhausted although im 26 and having a baby to run around after just makes me feel like a zombie by bedtime! Then all to soon that **** alarm clock is at it again :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Is it me or is anyone else tired all the time, even if I have a lay in I still want more sleep.
I am only 48 but have had a below knee amputation 20 months ago, I take tramadol and pregabalin.
My diabetes is well controlled most of the time, I feel like I waste my weekends because i am too tired to do anything.
Any suggestions?

Could be a number of things Trev and better that you discuss this with your gp who may request blood tests, quite possible it could be a side-effect of the meds you take but difficult to tell, hope you find the cause of your tiredness.

Reactions: 4 people

Beshlie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The thing that caused me to go to see the doctor in the first place was extreme tiredness (fatigue), I couldn't even concentrate enough to do anything. It had been going on for about 18 months, on and off, but was getting worse. Also, my memory seemed to be failing and, as my mother had Alzheimers I was worried. My blood test covered several things but, following another one I found I had diabetes. I'm not a doctor but from what I have read I think fatigue may be connected to insulin resistance, making the brain and muscles tired through lack of glucose. However, since drastically reducing carbs and taking Metformin the fatigue seems to be lifting a little. I am also taking iron and vit. D and B12 suppliments. Of course I can only talk on my experience and it's always worth seeing your doctor. Fatigue, whatever the cause, can take your life away. One thing I recall is that if I ate something like a cheese bap (white) I nearly always needed a nap afterwards.

C

catherinecherub

Any suggestions?
Hi Trev,

One of the listed side effects of Tramadol is a sedating effect and this could be your problem.
I suggest you see your G.P. and see if he feels this is the cause, he may prescribe something else that is less sedating.
Nobody wants to feel like you do as it impacts on your life.

CC.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If your blood sugar levels are fine, then the following list could be a possible cause of your fatigue:
  1. Vitamin D deficiency (much of the population of the UK is vitamin D deficient as we all spend too much time indoors and slap on sunscreen when it is sunny)
  2. Vitamin B12 deficiency (can be caused by metformin)
  3. Underactive thyroid
  4. Iron deficiency anaemia.
Get this lot tested for by your GP. Keep going back if your are still suffering. It took me over 2 years to get diagnosed with Vitamin D deficiency. I even got sent to the Chronic Fatigue clinic.

2christine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
what are your blood sugars before meals and two hours later??? ?fine is not an answer to me.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Could it be the change of clocks back in October? I'm always tired once this happens and when the clocks change again I will be fine again!

MauzaM

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
For anyone who finds they have memory loss, weakness in the limbs and exhaustion, I suffered all these symptoms. I also knew that blood test results were coming back as borderline anaemic and b12 deficient. after some research I discovered that long term use of metformin affects the ability of the body to absorb b12 thereby causing the anaemia problem. Armed with all the data I had discovered I went to see the doctor, prepared for an argument. Surprise!, I was approved for a regular b12 injection every 10 weeks with no argument. b12 needs to be injected to be of any use to the body. b12 supplements in pill form doesn't really work so well.

Trev 48

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
For anyone who finds they have memory loss, weakness in the limbs and exhaustion, I suffered all these symptoms. I also knew that blood test results were coming back as borderline anaemic and b12 deficient. after some research I discovered that long term use of metformin affects the ability of the body to absorb b12 thereby causing the anaemia problem. Armed with all the data I had discovered I went to see the doctor, prepared for an argument. Surprise!, I was approved for a regular b12 injection every 10 weeks with no argument. b12 needs to be injected to be of any use to the body. b12 supplements in pill form doesn't really work so well.

Thank you that is very kind of you to tell me, I will make an appointment with ,my GP as soon as I can and will let you know how I get on

Trev

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was absolutely exhausted for years with typical symptoms of hypothyroidism but my Drs ruled this out as my bloods were in range. Eventually I stopped listening to them and took action. Of course it was my thyroid. I got so much better but did not recover completely. This year I was diagnosed diabetic and am on diet control, a very strict LCHF and I am better than I have been for twenty years. Mind, twenty years ago I was still youngish.

What has worked for me so far has been to treat my lack of thyroid hormones with NDT.
To treat my low level of vitamin D with doses of 5000IU per day during the dark months
To treat my high bg with a very low carb, high fat diet.

Thankfully I have never suffered from anaemia, neither the low iron nor the low B12 variety. I believe both are every common though. It is wise to get Ferritin tested if you are tired.

happycat

I was absolutely exhausted for years with typical symptoms of hypothyroidism but my Drs ruled this out as my bloods were in range. Eventually I stopped listening to them and took action. Of course it was my thyroid. I got so much better but did not recover completely. This year I was diagnosed diabetic and am on diet control, a very strict LCHF and I am better than I have been for twenty years. Mind, twenty years ago I was still youngish.

What has worked for me so far has been to treat my lack of thyroid hormones with NDT.
To treat my low level of vitamin D with doses of 5000IU per day during the dark months
To treat my high bg with a very low carb, high fat diet.

Thankfully I have never suffered from anaemia, neither the low iron nor the low B12 variety. I believe both are every common though. It is wise to get Ferritin tested if you are tired.

What is NDT? I have an underactive thyroid and although I take medication the numbers don't improve

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What is NDT? I have an underactive thyroid and although I take medication the numbers don't improve
Natural dessicated thyroid, or pigs thyroid extract.

When on thyroid meds what counts is how you feel. Numbers are of no value at all.

Look at Stop the thyroid madness site, very good info there.

happycat

Natural dessicated thyroid, or pigs thyroid extract.

When on thyroid meds what counts is how you feel. Numbers are of no value at all.

Look at Stop the thyroid madness site, very good info there.
Thank you totto. I will have a look. I just feel so tired all the time even after a long time in bed, also my hair is falling out ?levothyroxine and after a year of blood tests the levels have hardly moved and I still feel exhausted.

nigelho

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Any suggestions?
Hi folks, I suffered with tiredness/fatigue drugged up feelings/struggling to walk etc. Had numerous tests until DSN told me the team had no idea why I was soooo tired. At that time I'd been on levemir then lantus insulins, looked up the forum and found out that I couldn't tolerate these type of insulins. Look up Lantus problems on the forum. once I got myself off these insulins..after complaining to the hospital trust, consultant finally agreed to change these insulins and I haven't looked back..I've since been referred to another hospital's diabetes team and I've done DAFNE. A lot of team don't believe that some people cannot get on with levemir and lantus.