Help!

popsy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
Ok, so I have had a not so good time lately diet wise. Couple of weeks ago I had a great doctor visit. I came out of there feeling a million bucks! And promptly fell right back into 'I've been so good I will reward myself' and I've been doing it since then. It's nothing huge, I mean I didn't go out and grab a huge Macca's or anything like that. It's more like 'I can just have a wee bit of this, it won't hurt' but yes it does! It completely messes up my day.

Why is it that no matter how far along we get in a changing life style that we, well me really, can just fall right back into the habits that got us here in the first place? Sorry, I am presuming we all do it, maybe it's just me. It's so hard to get back into the good ways again. I am maintaining at the moment but I don't want to be, I want to be moving again in the right direction. I know what I need to do, I know which coping habits will work for me but I seem unable to do it, I have small slip ups every day lately and it's making a miserable, grumpy and extremely cross person! I don't like being like this :(

Please tell me I am not alone in feeling like this, that I'm not the only one who goes down the wrong path now and again, and please tell me that there is a way back to that marvellous feeling of knowing that I am doing the right thing,

Thanks guys

Reactions: 2 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
of course your not alone :) id say it is rare if someone can avoid going through this, not the other way around, for me it has been harder since reaching my goals, it hits you that this is forever once the novalty wears off, im trying to use the marathon to keep me motivated, what will work for you i cannot say, maybe a challenge of your own, but im feeling pretty down in the dumps too, its a rollercoaster for sure. :(

i was chatting about this yesterday about the run and they said write down the motivation/ reason you signed up for it and stick it to your fridge, i havent done this but just having the chat seems to help, i dont know the answers right now but i wanted to tell you your definately not alone

x

K

Kat100

Hi Popsy, I think it is really normal to have times like those you have described, it is after all a illness that can go up and down...
You are doing OK and you are not alone....
But my goodness you need to reward yourself for the strictness that really is involved....
Make a list of the treats you can have...and have them...

For me it's nighttime with the tv on, so I have my raspberries in the fridge which I add a bit of melted chocolate to.....and you could have cream or diabetic (for me) icecream...

I make my own popcorn that is nice....with a bit of sweet freedom drizzled on ......(google sweet freedom) .....

Always have some green and blacks in the cupboard.....

I keep backs of reduced fat crisps in.....all these are my just in cases....because yes it is possible to have those moments....

I never used to eat biscuits, now a package of digestives are a luxury to buy.... I am t2 on metformin.....

You really are not alone, and you can get back,on track, might be those bg levels playing games :/

Tc ......Kat X

K

Kat100

Yes agree with andys motivation tool as well, for me that's shopping something nice now and again for me, and I love going in charity books shops for a good read....makes me feel,better....X

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I think the problem with diabetes is everything is so easily measurable. Eat a slice of cake and test and the guilt is there staring you in the face. I also think we sometimes set our targets too high which makes failure too easy to achieve, instead of the other way around. The good news though is it's never too late to start taking control again. As Andy says, set yourself small, achievable targets. Take things a day at a time. Also, don't be so hard on yourself. The occasional treat is OK. If your target is perfection you will spend a lot of time disappointed. Hope you start to feel better soon.
Mo

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
that may be part of my problem, my target is perfection

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
that may be part of my problem, my target is perfection
Perfection is very rarely achieved Andy which leaves us feeling inadequate or disillusioned. Always good to set yourself goals but unless they are realistic and achievsble they are just "pipe dreams" ! Hope you feel better soon buddy ! Love you ;-)
Mo

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
I agree about perfection. In my case l try to exercise every night if we haven't been to the PT. For the last 3 weeks this hasn't happened and it depresses me as l feel l am failing myself Andy and Brian and Ste our PT l get up and am sorting phone calls and emails rush to work, get back and then we go to the shops for a carton of milk or some shopping or more paperwork.
Tonight l had to repark the m/home as had work done on it today and l had to park it outside first thing this morning, Then move the car into the slot CB had been in tonight. Fix the conservatory door and gate both of which were playing up and Andy couldn't lock them, now just want to relax.

I am away from next week (back home weekends) as finally l am on the road for locum work. The next 2 weeks are 8-16:30 shifts so l have 2 weeks of walks trying 1.5hrs every other day and when not walking doing the exercises our PT set us. After that l think l am in Wales for 4 weeks again time to exercise there. I plan everything out and things just don't go to my plan :(

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I agree about perfection. In my case l try to exercise every night if we haven't been to the PT. For the last 3 weeks this hasn't happened and it depresses me as l feel l am failing myself Andy and Brian and Ste our PT l get up and am sorting phone calls and emails rush to work, get back and then we go to the shops for a carton of milk or some shopping or more paperwork.
Tonight l had to repark the m/home as had work done on it today and l had to park it outside first thing this morning, Then move the car into the slot CB had been in tonight. Fix the conservatory door and gate both of which were playing up and Andy couldn't lock them, now just want to relax.

I am away from next week (back home weekends) as finally l am on the road for locum work. The next 2 weeks are 8-16:30 shifts so l have 2 weeks of walks trying 1.5hrs every other day and when not walking doing the exercises our PT set us. After that l think l am in Wales for 4 weeks again time to exercise there. I plan everything out and things just don't go to my plan :(
Nothing wrong with a plan as long as it's a dynamic one, not one set in stone. A dynamic plan allows deviation to fit in with everyday life.

Reactions: 3 people

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Nope but he is a baker and l just went into the kitchen and if you think chocolate avoidance is hard try about 100 biscuits in various stages of decoration and often cakes as well as the biscuits :banghead:

Cherry-Pie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Popsy

You are not alone!
My doc told me I was doing brilliantly well at my annual check up last year, so I thought I would treat myself to a couple of days off being so strict and it took me two months to get back on track! Oops..
I'm in the middle of reading a book called 'Think like a Pancreas' by Gary Scheiner and one thing he wrote really stuck with me:
"You can't change the past, so don't worry about what you did-or didn't do-yesterday. And you certainly can't live tomorrow until tomorrow. Every day represents an opportunity for a fresh start".
If I've not been happy with my results during the day I say this to myself, it seems to make me not so irritable and snappy (much to the delight of my BF!!) tee hee..

Take care,
Cherry-Pie :)

Reactions: 3 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
We all have times like this - I avoid buying anything I shouldn't be eating much of! I have found planning my meals and cooking really nice food helps me. If I fancy something sweet I go and have a piece of cheese. Good luck :)