Deliberately running my levels high

tomvonc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anyone who asks a question about diabetes without thinking what they're asking.
To avoid a hypo. Does anyone else do this? For example last week I had to take a couple of flights and I didn't really fancy a hypo at 30000ft, so kept my levels 2-3 points above what I would usually have them. I'm hoping this wont cause me any problems as long as it's not a too regular occurance.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I do if I have a long drive ahead of me or if going out for a long walk as my bg is guaranteed to drop a little.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
I do this when needs be, it has never caused a problem, obviously it wouldnt be good if it was a regular thing:)

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
i often used to drop my basal, which was a split levemir, in those situations....

didnt always go as planned though.....:)

tomvonc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Didn't adjust my basal, as when I have hypo's they are usually about 1 1/2 hours after eating so I'm assuming it's due to over bolusing. I just took a couple of less units then I would normally take before breakfast and lunch.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
When I'm on shift I run my levels a little higher than normal. This allows me more freedom and prevents me dropping too low.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, I may take a bit less if I'm travelling or driving to reduce hypo risk

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
To avoid a hypo. Does anyone else do this? For example last week I had to take a couple of flights and I didn't really fancy a hypo at 30000ft, so kept my levels 2-3 points above what I would usually have them. I'm hoping this wont cause me any problems as long as it's not a too regular occurance.

Absolutely not.

I still try and keep my levels in the 5-7 range, testing and eating as appropriate. If driving immediately after eating I will ensure I'm comfortably above 5 rather than 4.8-5.3 for example, but that's the only concession I make.

I've never had a problem yet whilst flying, and even had one attendant check that I was OK when he saw my test kit (2hr post meal check) so I'd be fairly confident they would respond appropriately.

Reactions: 4 people

tomvonc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Absolutely not.

I still try and keep my levels in the 5-7 range, testing and eating as appropriate. If driving immediately after eating I will ensure I'm comfortably above 5 rather than 4.8-5.3 for example, but that's the only concession I make.

I've never had a problem yet whilst flying, and even had one attendant check that I was OK when he saw my test kit (2hr post meal check) so I'd be fairly confident they would respond appropriately.

I wish I had your confidence :-/ Still I need to remember I've only been in this game a couple of months and I still have a LOT to learn. I don't think I'm doing too badly. Havn't seen double figures for a week, and only had one (very mild and corrected quickly) hypo this week. I'm sure cabin crew, who are well trained in these issues probably know exactly how to deal with a hypo. Guess I'm still nervous about having a hypo outside my own home.

Reactions: 2 people

bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
I think you all deserve a medal for coping so well with your diabetes and your drugs, I am glad it isn't me.

kelp84

Hi!
I do this too! I wouldn't beat yourself up about a couple of points! If now and again you are at 9 rather than 7 it really shouldn't do too much damage! You av to find something that works for you! I used to do a great deal of travelling and found an airport not such a great place to b when feeling low and disorientated,so can totally understand why u did this :)
Well done on experimenting! It can all be quite daunting!
Just a watch out try not to slip into being high too often - it is an easy trap to fall into! Make sure you are watching your levels for trends and keep a regular check on your HBA1C to make sure all the one offs aren't having too much of an impact!

Good Luck!!

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wish I had your confidence :-/ Still I need to remember I've only been in this game a couple of months and I still have a LOT to learn. I don't think I'm doing too badly. Havn't seen double figures for a week, and only had one (very mild and corrected quickly) hypo this week. I'm sure cabin crew, who are well trained in these issues probably know exactly how to deal with a hypo. Guess I'm still nervous about having a hypo outside my own home.

If you've only been at this a short while, then you're not doing bad at all. My confidence to run fairly tight limits has definitely come with time, education and learning to carb count effectively.

Still doesn't mean I get it right all the time. This evening for example, 8km run, finished that at 6.3 as I had a small snack beforehand. Dinner was assessed at 60g carbs, 4 units novorapid.

2hrs later 4.2, at least I got to eat one of my Christmas chocolates - Bendicks Mint selection. It's those jerusalem artichokes, get me every time.

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You do have to remember to allow for time differences and jet lag if you are flying as well particularly with your long acting. I have done many long haul flights and then start to move my long acting insulin a couple of hours at a time to start adjusting to the new time zones. That way the impact is less than trying to just move it immediately to the time zone or having to wake up at 3am to inject etc. Obviously short haul is not so much of an issue.

Mimastones

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
Yes I do this for flights as well - I was advised to by my nurse as apparently testers are much less accurate in the air (though I have no idea why?)

I suffer from really bad insomnia so when that gets too much and I have to take a sleeping tablet I run a little higher than normal as well for fear that I wouldn't wake up if I have a hypo.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
I never do this , in fact It is extremely rare i'm ever over 5.5 mmol. The only time I'd consider 'Running high' is to get hypo awareness back, which is not necessary at the moment as I've been hypo free for several months. The way I see it is you wouldn't consider running your car engine 50 % hotter than normal or adding 50% more oil to it, so why do it to your body with elevated glucose levels.

tomvonc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sent from the Diabetes Forum App[/quote]
Yes I do this for flights as well - I was advised to by my nurse as apparently testers are much less accurate in the air (though I have no idea why?)

In the instruction manual of at least one of my meters it does say in the specs 'Altitude up to 3048metres'. I wonder what happens at 3049m? I have absolutely no idea how altitude, and presumably atmospheric pressure could affect the results.

ShelleyHarris1981

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Racism,ignorance,nastiness,selfishness

I think this is a good point. They saw your kit, what would happen if you had a hypo and they didn't know you were Type 1? My husband has said when I have a bad hypo (normally hormone related when I least expect it, as a woman I can go down at certain times of the month) he said I almost appear drunk. I think running higher is a sensible thing to do when taking so many flights, I wouldn't want to assume a cabin attendant knew I was having a hypo or what to do. But that's just me!

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Yeah - I would run higher for a while. It's just a short time in relation to the number of years that we have good control, or try our hardest at least, so personally I would.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

In the instruction manual of at least one of my meters it does say in the specs 'Altitude up to 3048metres'. I wonder what happens at 3049m? I have absolutely no idea how altitude, and presumably atmospheric pressure could affect the results.[/quote]
I ssupect that 3048m is about 10,000ft, where an aircraft cabin is typically pressurised to.

Which is saying your meter is good on an aeroplane, but not mount Everest.