weight loss

sengachickie

I was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and since just after xmas I have been following a healthy eating plan, eating approx 1500-1700 calories per day, and exercising daily for at least 60 minutes( badminton, swimming, fitness class, walking, etc).

My doctor and nurse told me that my medication ( metformin) makes it hard to lose weight. Why is this and is there anyting I can do to safely improve my weight loss?

:D Any tips gratefully recieved

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I wonde4r why they said that. Metformin is one of only 2 medicines for T2 diabetes which doesn't make weight a problem. look it up on a medicine information site.

sami

i have been told metformin helps you to lose weight and that is was made as a weight loss drug at first untill they found it lowered bg and changed what it used for

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
It is used for weight loss and in in PCOS too.
I wish I could get my weight going down again. It's stuck and I need to loe 2 more stones, if not 3

sami

im the same i lost 33lb last year then got stuck in oct by as my A1c is down to 5.5% the gp wont put me on metformin and im just diet and exercise only but even through i spend 8-10 hrs either in the gym or the swimming pool and stick to no more than 1800 cals a day and under 100g of carbs i can not lose any more weight .
im going to see someone at a weight management clinic in 2 weeks as gp is thinking of putting me on reductal and they need to make sure im doing all i can my self first but i cant see what else i can do as i cant fit any more exercise in and if i eat any less in very hungery

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Sami - you should definitely try lo-carbing (or even very lo-carbing if you want super quick results). Eating 100g carbs a day will still probably keep you above the Critical Carbohydrate Level for Losing (Dr. Atkins CCLL). Any more than 40-50g will definitely keep you from losing weight.

If you've never lo-carbed before, and you maintain your excercise level, you will get excellent results. Losing between 7lbs - 10lbs every 2 weeks is not unrealistic.

Hunger is not an issue when you lo-carb. There are loads of lo-carbers on this site that will answer any questions you have.

Buachaille

Dislikes
Blondes with small...................................
I have around 100 carbs per day and over 20 months have reduced my weight by 18 kilos, Since last September I have lost 5 kilos, despite putting on 2 kilos over Christmas and New Year. Another 6 Kilos and I will hit my target. Since diagnosis my Hba1c has reduced from 14.4 to 5.2 with the last matching blood glucose figure being 4.6.

Getting blood sugars in line has to be a balance between living and living as, perhaps, a disgruntled diabetic. Bernstein - well I read the book, but I would not contemplate the almost automaton, austere approach to food he would have us believe is the only way to succeed. I do not and will not mechanically plan all of the meals I have - I prefer to eat within the range that the wider family enjoys. This means on occasions not eating some of what is presented to the table.

My advice is to look realistically at lifestyle, listen to the medical advice given viz a viz the appropriateness of medication and the wider benefits that some of the non diabetic related drugs might offer (particularly for us older types) and don't be put of by some of the scaremongering of side effects that seem to swamp the internet. Think about the large, silent, majority of those who take the medication, have little or no side effects and, perhaps, have no reason or desire to bleat in cyberspace.

Diet is obviously most important. Reduce portion sizes, be aware of, but not obsessed by carbohydrates, exercise but not to excess. Have a drink - mines is principally red wine and I will be having 2 large glasses of heavy red in about 20 minutes to accompany the evening meal.

Strike a balance. After all you need to die (or don't need but will) of something, and it should not be about worrying what uncontrolled diabetes might do to you. Get a relaxed grip.