Abbott meter recall/ reissue

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Has anybody else received Urgent Field Safety Notice ADC FA102-2014?

I did about 2wks ago and as instructed rang the help line 0500 467 466 where a hard to understand broken English vioce took my mobile phone number telling me someone else would call me straight back. Nobody did so the following day I phoned again whereupon I was told none of my details were in the system so I gave my number again. The same happened the following day so I gave up and sent an e-mail via their web site. That was well over a week ago and STILL nothing from Abbott Diabetes Care.

I think this is absolutely appalling and it was just fortunate my surgery has since swapped me over to another testing system, but I do have to ask what Abbott think they are playing at and also if any other forum members have been left without a viable testing kit?

Reactions: 2 people

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Right, I'll take that as a NO then.

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've received a ADC FA1002-2014 (presumably because I used a Freestyle Navigator years ago); since I hadn't been using the device anymore I ignored it and Abbot responded by sending me 8x Freestyle glucose test strips.
I've yet to hear back from them if they want those back, or if I they could stop sending me notifications and supplies for products I no longer use

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anybody else received Urgent Field Safety Notice ADC FA102-2014?

I did about 2wks ago and as instructed rang the help line 0500 467 466 where a hard to understand broken English vioce took my mobile phone number telling me someone else would call me straight back. Nobody did so the following day I phoned again whereupon I was told none of my details were in the system so I gave my number again. The same happened the following day so I gave up and sent an e-mail via their web site. That was well over a week ago and STILL nothing from Abbott Diabetes Care.

I think this is absolutely appalling and it was just fortunate my surgery has since swapped me over to another testing system, but I do have to ask what Abbott think they are playing at and also if any other forum members have been left without a viable testing kit?
well ive got 2 abbott meters never received any notice

JoCo

Abbott were quite recently reprimanded over their lack of FDA compliances http://media.ca7.uscourts.gov/cgi-b...h=Y2002/D06-06/C:01-1952:J:_:aut:T:op:N:0:S:0 , http://www.fda.gov/ICECI/EnforcementActions/WarningLetters/ucm219001.htm , false marketing claims http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/...etterstoPharmaceuticalCompanies/UCM173184.pdf , and have previously had strip recalls - it's all available on the net.. My own experience with Abbott Diabetes Care showed no customer focus whatsoever, my requests for spares and accessories were "passed on" ie ignored, and the person on the phone was very rude. My diabetes team recently gave me an Abbott meter, and me knowing that the reliability of of it was not good enough (Abbott Xceed), I threw it straight in the bin. Not even opened. The xceed meter has two types, one is hardcoded for use in hospitals, and the other is user codable. They look exactly the same. How do you know which you have ?? Also if you have ketone strips, it is quite easy to perform a ketone measurement (or for somone else with you), and get a result, believing it to be a glucose measurement. I use a Lifesciences One Touch Ultra 2 , and have had no reasons to complain at all (I don't work for them, just giving my own judgement). What has happened to you does not surprise me in the slightest.

jules65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Whenever I have phoned Abbot it has been to an English call centre, and they have been very helpful.
Was this an email recall? Not meaning to be cynical.... could it be a scam?

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
it is quite easy to perform a ketone measurement (or for somone else with you), and get a result, believing it to be a glucose measurement
If you go rummaging blindly through your kitchen then it's quite easy to cut yourself with a big knife... Your point being? The ketone strips are differently coloured, differently labelled, take much longer to process and the result is labelled with "ketone" on screen and when you scroll back through previous tests.

Also, keep in mind that without this meter it is impossible to test blood ketone levels so you can get the exact same "peace of mind" by never getting any ketone strips.

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Abbott recalled strips as far as I'm aware.
I have never spoken to anyone in Abbott UK with a foreign voice. Just contact them via their website then at least you will definitely get a written response

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

MrsB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks to an earlier post about this I phoned Abbot. I was held on their queue system for around half an hour before I got through to a person. He took my name address and meter serial number and promised to send out a new meter. This arrived this morning.

So, thumbs up from me to Abbot just answer your phone quicker ;-)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Type1Jim

If you go rummaging blindly through your kitchen then it's quite easy to cut yourself with a big knife... Your point being? The ketone strips are differently coloured, differently labelled, take much longer to process and the result is labelled with "ketone" on screen and when you scroll back through previous tests.

Also, keep in mind that without this meter it is impossible to test blood ketone levels so you can get the exact same "peace of mind" by never getting any ketone strips.

Hi Alex - you can also test your blood ketone levels using a glucomen lxplus. KR

Type1Jim

I have had some poor experiences with the Abbott customer service about the insulinx meter when i tried and had a couple of questions about the calculator algorithm. No-one was able to give an answer when i called (several times) and nobody called back like they had agreed to. Was disappointed.