Time to test my willpower

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So, I have been following and loving the low carb diet for a few weeks now, but I am still getting a fair few 9s and 10s. I have had a cold which has pushed things up, but I have also not been regulating my portion sizes massively. I have given into temptation a few times and had extra helpings of the low carb desserts I have been making. I am well aware that low carb does not mean no carb, so I am going to test my willpower! I have just made almond and flax meal cookies, with cream cheese and unsweetened cocoa ice cream to go with it, as shown below. My wife and I will share this between us, and there should be 4 servings each. This means with one dessert for dinner a day, we should finish this batch on Sunday. SO! Each day I will post a picture with the remaining amount left, so I can prove that I have not allowed myself an extra treat. This will help with my blood sugars, and also stop me having to buy more expensive ingredients. Wish me luck :) (I am appalling at cutting equal sized pieces, so I will shave bits off the bigger pieces and add those to the smaller, so we are eating equal amounts each day).
image.jpg

image.jpg

Reactions: 4 people

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
We'll be keeping a close eye on you :pompous:

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We'll be keeping a close eye on you :pompous:
Excellent thanks! I have barricaded myself in with my piano for a couple of hours, as the smell of fresh baked cookies coming from the kitchen is messing with me.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Where did you find the ice cream recipe Charles?

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Where did you find the ice cream recipe Charles?
Basically a few days ago I decided I wanted to make ice cream. I did a minimal amount of reading on the net. Then I just threw a load of stuff into my food processor and then threw that into the ice cream maker. That turned out to freeze hard enough to make building blocks out of, so this time I adjusted the recipe. Here is what I used this time, and after a couple of hours it is still largely scoop able:
400ml coconut milk.
200g cream cheese
3 ounces double cream
2 eggs
80g melted butter
2 tablespoons vodka (alcohol does not freeze so this keeps it scoop able. If you are making it for kids you may need to omit this)
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp Stevia
1 tsp peppermint extract

I used a magimix le glacier 1.1 litre ice cream maker, and it took around 25 minutes to set.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. I may well give that a try. I'm not missing ice cream, but my OH is sort of, and as he has committed to following largely the same eating plan as me, he is generally avoiding sweet things. He has the odd biscuit and yesterday declared he was going to his desk to devour a chunky KitKat.

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the support everyone! So far so good. Here is what's left after this evening's meal.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
image.jpg

I forgot my wife was away at a concert today, so three pieces remaining instead of two. But has my restraint affected my blood sugars? Here are my results from today:
07.32 7.1
09.24. 5.3
11.25. 5.4
14.34. 5.1
16.23. 3.1 (misread nutrition information, gave two units too much insulin. Had 2 dextrose tablets)
17.30. 4.2
18.58. 5.9
20.08. 5.8
21.43. 5.0
23.05. 5.1
All in all a pretty good day!

chris9996

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Vegetables
Congratulations Charles, You have done an excellent job. Willpower working well and levels are great.:):)

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Congratulations Charles, You have done an excellent job. Willpower working well and levels are great.:):)
Thanks mate, the encouragement really helps!
image.jpg

Well Sunday dinner has been and gone, and I have a helping left over! I also have a seperate achievement to be pleased about today. I am away from home for a few days next week, so I have baked a load of almond meal muffins to bring with me. I have been very careless 'sampling' the ingredients in the past, but today I refrained. My blood sugars once again speak for my control:
02.04 7.1 (I always seem to need 2 units of lispro mid sleep, anyone else have this?)
04.02 6.0
08.53. 6.7
10.20 5.8
12.45 5.6
14.27 4.2
15.37 4.6
19.36 7.0
21.37 5.3