Chocolate

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Returning to the subject of chocolate, do read the small print on the back of the pack! I bought some "dark chocolate" from our local co-op the other day. It was not dark chocolate as we know it. It was a sugary confection, dark in colour. Look for high percentages of cocoa solids and then the sugars will be lower, but do read the label and test to see what it does to you.
Sally

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Aldi do a 85% dark chocolate called Moser Roth, each pack has 5 individual bars and each one contains 4g of carbs, it's really nice and best of all it's cheaper than the well known brands.
Off to Aldi now.... :)

Reactions: 2 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Off to Aldi now.... :)
Tescos finest Swiss dark chocolate 31.5g of carb of which 26.8g sugars per 100g. 2 squares (20g) contain 6.3g of carb of which 5.3g sugars.

pippi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So if say melon is 6g carbs of which sugars 6g i may as well have a bar of aldi chocolate ?

As long as i incorporate it into my diet so as to lose weight each week ?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I think that if you low carb, you will naturally lose weight anyway.

I like 85% cocoa chocolate occasionally, but wouldn't touch a melon these days.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
That's a good question....
The low carb would recommend berries but once you have your meter why not try and see.

chris9996

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Vegetables
Okay guys & gals,
With the understanding that I might come across as a numpty :bag::confused: When I am counting carbs, I know I need to look at the total carbs value, so do I need to be paying attention to the sugars values too????????? I think its all this talk about Aldi's chocolate :nailbiting::nailbiting:
Thank you :)

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Okay guys & gals,
With the understanding that I might come across as a numpty :bag::confused: When I am counting carbs, I know I need to look at the total carbs value, so do I need to be paying attention to the sugars values too????????? I think its all this talk about Aldi's chocolate :nailbiting::nailbiting:
Thank you :)
Just look at the total carbs figure as it includes the sugar too.

For example, I have Tesco finest Swiss 85% dark choc here. It reads

Two squares contain 3.7g carbs (of which 2.6g sugars). The 3.7g is all you have to count.

The other good thing about this kind of dark chocolate is that it is so rich, you can't scoff a load of it.

chris9996

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Vegetables

Two squares contain 3.7g carbs (of which 2.6g sugars). The 3.7g is all you have to count.

The other good thing about this kind of dark chocolate is that it is so rich, you can't scoff a load of it.

Thanks a lot :D Now can u give me ur address and I'll be right over for the choccy. :D

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

Our Tezzie Express only stocks the 72% kind but will pick up the 85% variety next time I go!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Aldi do a 85% dark chocolate called Moser Roth, each pack has 5 individual bars and each one contains 4g of carbs, it's really nice and best of all it's cheaper than the well known brands.

I love this stuff. One of my favourites.
11am, Monday to Friday, like clockwork. Lol

Reactions: 4 people
K

Kat100

I now love chocolate over 70%
I bought bars of diabetic choc when I was first diagnosed.....just did not know ....

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Is there a cheaper way of eating low sugar choc rather than the ones from boots?:)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Boots chocolate will have you running to the loo so stay well clear, here's what I said earlier in this thread:

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat Lindt 85% dark chocolate , it's 20 carbs for a 100 gram bar, and is divided into 10 pieces, so you can eat 1 or 2 pieces and shouldn't have any problems. This is the first proper dark chocolate that I can regularly eat without it giving me a migraine which made me a very happy bunny! Green & Black also do a similar dark chocolate, but it appears to be higher in calories that the Lindt bar. But noblehead has said that the Aldi Moser Roth bars are (a lot !!) cheaper.

Re melon vs dark chocolate: if you are low carbing, the dark chocolate is also quite high in fat which a "good thing", so as long as your are eating other veggies and some fruit you can choose it over the melon with an easy conscience - just as long as you don't "pig it"!

Robbity