Stinky flaxseed

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I made one of those one minute muffins today for the first time for brunch. I fancied a big Man Vs Food style burger loaded with everything.

The muffin contained 1/3 cup of milled flax...it looks amazing, great texture, but stinks of FISH! :***: :hungover:

I don't think they have gone off. Opened the bag just today, best before end Oct 2014. The bag states "Tesco golden linseeds - perfect for coating fish." :rolleyes:

Is this a thing? It this how they smell when cooked?

*heartbroken*

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
We buy whole linseed / flax seed and grind small quantities at a time (in a coffee grinder) and then keep it in a sealed box in the fridge. I've been told that, once milled, the oil in it can go rancid, hence the fridge. Could it have gone off? Did you mill it yourself, or was it bought like that? I use it uncooked and cooked as a topping/coating and have never noticed a fishy taste or smell. Ours comes from Holland and Barratt. Before grinding, I just keep it in the bag, in the kitchen cupboard.
Sally

Reactions: 4 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi Sally

They were whole seeds. Opened the bag only today and I milled them myself (I use a stick blender in a coffee mug as I don't have a grinder).

I have eaten them on yogurt before and they are lovely, but cooked seems a bit smelly. Even my ex who eats fish sniffed it and wouldn't try it lol

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have linseed every day and have never noticed a fishy smell! Must be a bad batch.

Reactions: 3 people

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
I eat it most days too, raw and cooked. No fishy smell. o_O

Reactions: 2 people

chris9996

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Vegetables
I have just placed an order for delivery by Tesco and noticed that the mixed seeds (inc golden linseed) once opened needs to be used within 7 days so maybe it does go off. Seems silly because linseed is also fed to my birds and it keeps for many months. Can I ask, does it have to be milled, or could it be used straight from the packet?
Thanks
Chris

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I absolutely loathe fish and can smell it a mile away, but I've had no trouble with flax - even the ready milled one. Take it back to Tesco - it can go off easily if it's stored wrong.

Ready milled flax freezes very well and only needs a few seconds in the microwave to bring it to room temperature before use. Same with almond flour.

Smidge

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Chris996 asked, "does it need to be milled?"
Yes, I think it does. Otherwise, according to what I've read, rather than carrying out any sort of personal investigation, you understand, the hard little seeds just pass straight through you!
Sally

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Yep, something fishy going on there!

LOL. Thanks everyone :)

it certainly sounds like I got a bad batch. I will try to get some from Holland & Barret and try the recipe again sometime. As I say, the texture was great for a bread substitute, it just ponged :(

chris9996

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Vegetables
Chris996 asked, "does it need to be milled?"
Yes, I think it does. Otherwise, according to what I've read, rather than carrying out any sort of personal investigation, you understand, the hard little seeds just pass straight through you!
Sally

Many thanks Sally, and you didn't do any of that special research, well I won't be doing any myself :D

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Throw them away, I use linseeds everyday and never noticed a fishy smell.

L

Luna21

I used linseeds in a recipe from here last week, and they too were vile! Smelled awful and hubby asked if I had been painting when he came home. I was really disappointed as so many low-carb recipes use linseed, and I am loathe to buy more for them to end up in the bin.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i tried to make microwave flax bread once, OMG IT STANK!! i swear the whole house stank for days, it was worse than a fish smell (and i hate the smell and taste of fish) it was amazingly smelly

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Oh no! This thread has taken a turn for the worse. I am losing faith in making buns that don't honk now :arghh:

Reactions: 4 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
lol honkey buns? i gave up on mking bread after that, ill stick to cakes :)

i tired in the microwave though, it may be different if oven baked, i dunno

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I have made almond flour muffins today for the first time in the oven and they are fab if not a little sweet.

Will give the flax buns one more try as so many people have success with them.

chris9996

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Vegetables
I have made almond flour muffins today for the first time in the oven and they are fab if not a little sweet.

Will give the flax buns one more try as so many people have success with them.

I have to ask, what area of the country do you live in :lurking: just so that I don't by my linseed from there too :)

A

Avocado Sevenfold

LOL I think you will be quite safe, Chris. You will know if you live anywhere near me by the fishy stench! :dead: