What foods do you miss most

Disneyfan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
do you know what I miss? It's not a particular food, it's the lack of spontaneity ... the feeling like I have to plan, bake, create, check restaurant menus in advance, feeling cheated that it's a 3 course special so I'm paying for a pudding I won't eat (lots of work functions are arranged this way).. oh and the free buffets in work at the end of term that I can't eat anything from as its all sandwiches and pies and sausage rolls ... actually i do know what I miss ... proper sweet and sour ... i'm making a great one with passata and diet fanta but its not the same as the battered stuff!

Reactions: 5 people

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Most days I don't miss any but some days I really miss bacon frazzle crisps, either Lidl or Sainsbury's own.
But I'm eating better than I've ever eaten, I'm managing most fruits, except bananas, oranges. So all good really. X

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I miss chip butties. But to be honest, I never should have been eating them anyway!

Reactions: 4 people

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I .miss chip buggies too especially as it would help me to put weight on
Carol.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
I .miss chip buggies too especially as it would help me to put weight on
Carol.
Please tell me that this is a typo error! image.jpg

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
I am normally a good girl but today I decided on an experiment. I ate a home made chocolate pot - cream, egg, dark choccie, butter. Serious heartburn and bloatedness. Have been awake since 3:30. Weird as taste buds changing and finding that I am increasingly wanting less sugary stuff. Had sliver of cake at weekend and that did nothing for me. Quite pleases me. Not enjoying being awake. Am going to have to get a glass of water and have to be up at 6:15. Bought choccie pot might be something I could have occasionally but think I'll give it a miss. First dessert since been diagnosed!

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The brain goes into overdrive:eek: My only excuse is that G is just under T and I didnt have my specs on :oops:
CAROL

Nimacado

Never really been into sweet stuff. Struggling to find alternatives for my carb addiction. I thought carrot and swede mash might be an alternative to potato but it seems that's even worse from a carb perspective!! Warburton seeded batch loaf isn't too bad carbs wise. Tesco oatcakes with cucumber are a great snack. Who knew that pears and bananas were so carb loaded?? Learning a little day by day. Any tips or recipe ideas gratefully received....

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

cath99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
i craved apples ,, until this weekend i decided they were calling me to much lol so lucky for me i have agerman sheperd doggy who loves apples to so we go halfs on one , works for me x

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Apples may not be all that bad - assuming you eat to your meter.

Glycaemic Load is supposed to be a better measure of suitability than Glycaemic Index and apples are listed as low GL.

Confusion reigns, as usual.

Cheers

LGC

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Next Christmas I will miss the Finnish carrot pudding thing so will have to swap to the turnip variety.

So far I haven't missed any food, but not eating grain is a bit impractical.

RosieDred

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I miss cake. I started baking about 6 months before diagnosis but the day I got out of hospital I came home and put all my baking stuff at the back of the cupboard in a strop. Maybe I should start again.

On different days I miss different things but on the whole I'm really happy with what I'm eating now. I'm actually cooking every day for the first time in my life. I do miss snacking on **** on movie night.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do low fat because it suits me I don't want to load my body with saturated animal fat I really don't believe all thats said in the media as there is always good and bad about everything so I do what I feel suits my own body I have cut out most starchy carbs but I don't do carb counting I eat the food that I know I can without giving me high BS levels so why would I change
It's pretty well accepted that low fat diets cause gallstones. Even on the Newcastle Diet they ask people to eat oil every day to keep the bile system functioning.

Amethyst8

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Cheesecake. Sorry. Flapjack too! However, I have discovered a recipe for a low carb version which looks heavenly but where do I get coconut oil and coconut flour from? Have discovered a gorgeous Thai fish soup which I love and when I'm feeling bad to the core and wanting to live dangerously I make Jamie Oliver's chocolate pots recipe:
300 ml single cream
200g 85% dark chocolate
2 egg yolks
2 dsp of brandy (if desired)
Heat the cream in the microwave. Break the choccie in the hot cream and stir till it melts. When cooled slightly, stir in egg yolks then alcohol.
Pour into 4 ramekins and refrigerate for half an hour.
You are only meant to eat ONE OCCasionally![/quote
you can buy at Amazon.co.uk as Coconoil organic,with reasonable prices or at wholesale shops under £10. As well as Asian food shops
contact:eek:rganically yours,Alara shop,58-60 Marchmont street,London WC1N 1AB Tel:0207837 1172 / 0207833 8089. facebook.com/AlaraShop
Good Luck!

Joe Sweatthang

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not Paragliding
I miss the good old French stick ... Just the crust as I used to scoop out the white stuff. Loads of butter (which I still have) washed down with a nice cold glass of milk .

K

Kat100

Not buying and eating a lovely cream cake .....but I have made cake and shortbread with sugar subtitutes .....it's ok , but all the planning it's just not the same for me.....type 2 the rest of my diet is veggie with some carbs

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Not buying and eating a lovely cream cake .....but I have made cake and shortbread with sugar subtitutes .....it's ok , but all the planning it's just not the same for me.....type 2 the rest of my diet is veggie with some carbs
I read on here that for a bought cream cake fix, mini chocolate eclairs are not too bad for carbs.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today I have been sitting outside, trying to get something done, with a large hand of bananas "waving" at me from the banana plant. We also have a plantain bearing fruit at the moment, but it's draw isn't quite so seductive.

K

Kat100

I read on here that for a bought cream cake fix, mini chocolate eclairs are not too bad for carbs.
Really, is that ok for the sugar though, might be ok for a treat .... ;)
I may have to try out an eclair....I have thought about trying to make some .....I did years ago .....

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Really, is that ok for the sugar though, might be ok for a treat .... ;)
I may have to try out an eclair....I have thought about trying to make some .....I did years ago .....
Not sure I understand the question lol. If they are low carb it follows they are low sugar.