Type 1....

• Thread starter Deleted member 83869
  • Start Date
D

Deleted member 83869

Right, I just want to clear something up without sounding stupid!! you don't get diabetes well Type 1 from eating too much chocolate do you?! Because my Dad's girlfriend is trying to say that I am diabetic because I apparently comfort ate when I was 10 when my Mother died!!

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No you do not!!!!
Your dad's girlfriend is wrong.
If I were you I'd get on Google and print loads of facts off about it and show her.
Cheeky mare! People like that make me so angry!

Indiana x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 6 people

Nottslad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Snap Indiana
I get really angry when people think I got Diabetes Type 1 cause I ate incorrect foods or had too much sugar in my diet.

I was actually at the peak of my fitness when I was told.

Reactions: 7 people
C

catherinecherub

Hi Nicola,
Your stepmother sounds like a barrel of laughs.:rolleyes:

She is very confused and is using the stereotypical view of Type 2 diabetes portrayed in the media.

As the previous poster said, print off what Type 1 actually is and shove it under her nose.
I know you said that you are unhappy at home and this sort of nonsense does not help any relationship. Can your Dad not put here straight?

Never ever blame yourself, your diagnosis has no bearing on what you have eaten in the past and she has a lot to learn. Blaming your way of coping with the death of your mother at a young age is disgusting IMHO.

Reactions: 6 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
No it's bullsh*t, T1 is an autoimmune disease andnothing to do with what you ate!

Reactions: 4 people
D

Deleted member 83869

Snap Indiana
I get really angry when people think I got Diabetes Type 1 cause I ate incorrect foods or had too much sugar in my diet.

I was actually at the peak of my fitness when I was told.
I knew I was right, I just wanted to be 100% sure! When I was diagnosed I barely ate chocolate etc!! I hate her anyway! She always says things to hurt me:( Im just so hurt and angry!

Reactions: 2 people

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I blame the media.
There's not enough information about type one diabetes out there.

I once had someone email me that I had only known for a little while saying she had been on google and had found a cure for diabetes (I'd had it for 15 years at the time, did she really think I didn't have the initiative to have a look myself, or that my doctors wouldn't have told me?!) anyway, I clicked on the link and it was a website all about broccoli!!!

Stupid cow! Needless to say, we no longer speak!

Indiana x

Reactions: 3 people
D

Deleted member 83869

Hi Nicola,
Your stepmother sounds like a barrel of laughs.:rolleyes:

She is very confused and is using the stereotypical view of Type 2 diabetes portrayed in the media.

As the previous poster said, print off what Type 1 actually is and shove it under her nose.
I know you said that you are unhappy at home and this sort of nonsense does not help any relationship. Can your Dad not put here straight?

Never ever blame yourself, your diagnosis has no bearing on what you have eaten in the past and she has a lot to learn. Blaming your way of coping with the death of your mother at a young age is disgusting IMHO.
I think my Dad is leaving her anyway, but I honestly felt like getting up and telling her to go back to school!!

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Could you take her to one of your appointments and get a professional to set her straight?
Or you could pick up a leaflet from a pharmacy or something?

I can totally understand why you feel the way you do!

Indiana x

D

Deleted member 83869

I blame the media.
There's not enough information about type one diabetes out there.

I once had someone email me that I had only known for a little while saying she had been on google and had found a cure for diabetes (I'd had it for 15 years at the time, did she really think I didn't have the initiative to have a look myself, or that my doctors wouldn't have told me?!) anyway, I clicked on the link and it was a website all about broccoli!!!

Stupid cow! Needless to say, we no longer speak!

Indiana x

Yes, I totally agree that there is ALOT of stuff on Type 2 in the media and hardly any on type 1 I think it is unfair on us Type 1's because well isn't our condition more dangerous?

D

Deleted member 83869

Could you take her to one of your appointments and get a professional to set her straight?
Or you could pick up a leaflet from a pharmacy or something?

I can totally understand why you feel the way you do!

Indiana x

I could do, but I can't stand her so I'd rather not ha! I think she knows she is wrong but just wants to hurt me!

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd take her just to prove a point. It'll only take an hour and think how victorious you'll feel when you walk out of there knowing that you've made her feel the size of a pea in front of professionals!!!

With regards to ours being worse, I think we have more complications but at least we can try and control our bg with injections. It's because diabetes is mentioned in the media and on weight loss programs such as Supersize V Superskinny and they don't specify which type of diabetes they're talking about. So we all get grouped as the same.

That makes me angry!

Indiana x

D

Deleted member 83869

I'd take her just to prove a point. It'll only take an hour and think how victorious you'll feel when you walk out of there knowing that you've made her feel the size of a pea in front of professionals!!!

With regards to ours being worse, I think we have more complications but at least we can try and control our bg with injections. It's because diabetes is mentioned in the media and on weight loss programs such as Supersize V Superskinny and they don't specify which type of diabetes they're talking about. So we all get grouped as the same.

That makes me angry!

Indiana x

Ha yes! that is an idea well maybe I will if my Dad is still with her by the time I have my next appointment!

Yes that is probably too! and yes I agree there used to be an advert on the radio about this woman and bloke going out to eat at all these places but he cant go to each one because of a particular health problem and one of them was the Doughnut shop and he said "Cant, im diabetic" and that used to annoy me! But I have realised now that they have taken that bit out of the advert!! x

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So they should as well!!

I know that diabetes UK got involved in an advert from Lloyd's pharmacy not too long ago and made them change what they were saying, they had to say that they were talking about type 2. I can't remember what the advert was about now though.

Indiana x

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
It could be that Dad's new friend has found a button which she keeps pushing, quite effectively as she is getting a reaction. It is a dreadful way to behave but each to their own.
An accompanied visit to GP might help but with that mindset I doubt it.
I would try to ignore the behaviour, perhaps get an information leaflet and leave it round.
Just my thoughts.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

D

Deleted member 83869

It could be that Dad's new friend has found a button which she keeps pushing, quite effectively as she is getting a reaction. It is a dreadful way to behave but each to their own.
An accompanied visit to GP might help but with that mindset I doubt it.
I would try to ignore the behaviour, perhaps get an information leaflet and leave it round.
Just my thoughts.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
Yeah, Dad says that because she is jealous of his kids or whatever because they misbehave so badly and dont go to school etc! But the thing is her Dad is type 1 as well!! So she should know!!

D

Deleted member 83869

So they should as well!!

I know that diabetes UK got involved in an advert from Lloyd's pharmacy not too long ago and made them change what they were saying, they had to say that they were talking about type 2. I can't remember what the advert was about now though.

Indiana x

I think they have changed quite a few there is also that change 4 life adverts too!

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes she should!!!
By the sounds of it if that's the way she behaves then they won't be together forever!

Indiana x